Help please..2002 GT Convertible Handling Issue.

GRIFF

I am hoping someone has some advice for me. Just over year ago I bought a used 2002 Mustang GT Convertible. I started having problems with vibrations and shakes that affect the handling and steering. In town driving at 40 kph hitting a rough spot or bump like a manhole depression sets off shaking of the front end and starts it to dancing a bit. On the highway it is not as noticeable except i feel vibrations in the steering and seats. Steering at highway speeds still seems to need a lot of monitoring.i have had the tires balanced 3 times and the alignment checked and adjusted twice in the past year. the problem continues. I rotated the tires (directional Bridgestone Potenza) 245*45*17's on stock bullitt rims. Looking for some ideas of what to chase next? Thanks in advance for suggestions and help.

There are others here on the Forum that are far more qualified than I am , but if it was the same shop that that balanced the wheels three times and checked the alignment twice , I would take it to another shop. It sounds like there is a major problem with your suspension and a competent technician should have been able to find the problem. My 01 BULLITT Mustang with over 200,000 kms on the factory suspension does none of what you are describing.

Good Luck.

Something is off, where are you from, Based on that someone can recommend a shop who will solve
your problems.

Balancing was at different shops. Same shop did the alignment last fall and re-did it this spring when I indicated I had issues. They did change some of the adjustments from last fall. TX

On the Island - Summerside. Think I will try the Ford dealer here and see if they can come up with a solution.

Last edited:
Other work was NOT done at the Ford dealer but at local shops friends recommended. TX

Last edited:
The first two things that came to mind were a bent wheel or shocks are wore. Those are just wild guesses. How many Kms on your car.

Yeah I was thinking shocks getting week. I had a bent wheel and I noticed it at a certain speed but potholes and normal steering where not affected. I would just speed up and it would go away. Front end bushings in the sway bar in the front could that not cause excessive looseness so to speak?

A competent shop should check all this for vibration and alignment issues, but here goes:

Rims and tires for balance and true. Tires for separation or belt issues.
Wheel bearings
ball joints, tie rod ends, steering rack bushings. general front suspension bushes and bearings.
Steering rack
Subframe attachment bolts.
Visible impacts of bent unibody components
Drive shaft joints

Guess i had been thinking that when the techs did wheel balances they would spot a bent rim. Likewise thought during alignment that tech would pick up on shocks or struts not being up to snuff? Maybe not so will get them checked specifically.
Someone else mentioned bushings in sway bar so also going on my list.

Agreed. Thanks for the comprehensive list. will be asking to have that all checked into!

I changed the sway bar bushings on my 99 convertible and it seemed to tighten up.190k and no shakes rattles or vibration.I do have new rims and tires though.

great time to do a suspension swap, fix problems and make it handle much better in process.

Thank you everyone for your help! Just got back from the Ford dealer and they gave the car a good going over. All is tight with suspension and steering. No leaks on struts or shocks but feel they are original to the car and are likely weakened...so time to replace. Now the question is do I go with stock parts of go the whole lowering and performance strut/shock route? Decisions decisions!

Well that is a tough one. I went with lowering on mine for the look. Handles better as well.

Last edited:
lowering is a choice, but after market would most likely give you a far better handling car.
If done right not much difference in price.

first question is how much longer are you planning to keep it?

If you looking at anything under the 5 year mark, I (personally) would just do replacements and drive it.

Second is how do you intend to use it?

If just a daily driver, I would (again) just go quality OEM style replacements.....

Hope to keep it for more than 5 years. Driven only in summer so not much for mileage each year. Not a daily driver. From what I can see I can do performance shocks and struts (Eibach for example) for about the same money as Ford replacement ones. Or can go Bilstein units for 20 to 25% more than stock. Not leaning that way.

Made a decision..hopefully the right one...ordered Eibach Pro-damper shocks and struts from AM to replace the worn stock ones. Have decided to defer the lowering option until I see what these do for the ride. Thanks everyone for the input. It helped with my decision.

Back