Feedback on Lowering 99-2004 Stang?

GRIFF

I have pretty much decided to do a modest lowering of my '02 Mustang GT Convertible using Ford Performance-B lowering springs. I am not racing or tracking the car obviously so want better road handling in regular driving. I am just wondering if others who have lowered their 99-04 Mustangs can provide feedback on their experience doing this? Happy afterwards? Unhappy? Likes? Dislikes?

Hey Griff,

I lowered my vert a few years back. I lowered it with steeda sport springs and put on billsteen shocks and struts at the same time. The reason I did both at the same time is I read that the factory shocks did not do well at all when lowered and they were original at the time.

This being said when I did the above I did notice a bit more of a harsh drive, however the handling benefits achieved outweighed the added roughness. I loved the changes in the car. Better handling and cornering for sure.

Would do it again in a heartbeat.

I will also echo above, you can go with 1" drop a little less rough.
many its 1.5". Also if can swing up grade sway bars at same time,
you will think your driving a different car.
I did my vert and of all the Mods I did to that car.
I did suspension first, like above lost a little in comfort,
but not as much as I would have thought and different in handling and response
was incredible,

Thanks everyone for the feedback! Sounds like other than a little stiffer ride the process should turn out making my car more enjoyable to drive! I am going with new Ford Performance-B lowering springs (1 1/8" drop front and 3/4" rear drops) and caster/camber plates for now. The shocks were redone a year ago (Eibach Pro-Damper shocks and struts). Taking a wait and see on whether to do sway bars as well. Likely later.

Thanks everyone for the feedback! Sounds like other than a little stiffer ride the process should turn out making my car more enjoyable to drive! I am going with new Ford Performance-B lowering springs (1 1/8" drop front and 3/4" rear drops) and caster/camber plates for now. The shocks were redone a year ago (Eibach Pro-Damper shocks and struts). Taking a wait and see on whether to do sway bars as well. Likely later.
It helps that you have already gone to an aftermarket shock and strut combo. That should help for sure. I just did the sway bars this year and I must say it changed the car again for the better. You will not be disappointed with that either.

Question for you just curious on your decision to go with the Ford product versus other brands? I remember doing lots of reading before my purchase like I always do as well. Lol. Just want to hear your opinion.

Last edited:
Don't hesitate, Griff! Invest now and get the enjoyment out of the full season! Mine is in today for a full suspension swap and alignment to tie everything together.

Sounds like I'm spending someone else's money again, it seems!

It helps that you have already gone to an aftermarket shock and strut combo. That should help for sure. I just did the sway bars this year and I must say it changed the car again for the better. You will not be disappointed with that either.

Question for you just curious on your decision to go with the Ford product versus other brands? I remember doing lots of reading before my purchase like I always do as well. Lol. Just want to hear your opinion.
I did quite a bit of looking around for over a year.. First I did not want a larger drop like many other brands give. These Ford Performance-B springs (1 1/8" drop front and 3/4" rear drop) do that. Didn't want to be too low for the roads around here and to have to be worrying all the time about tearing the front spoiler off! :) As well these will level off the car a little better due to the differentialted drop front and rear. Also several other brands did not specifically state they would work on convertibles so shied away from them. Feedback on AM site from customers seemed very positive on these ones.

Yeah I remember reading all the reviews as well. The steeda I got did not specifically say you could use them on avert but many where doing just that with good results. Levelling out the ride height made a huge difference in the look once it was dropped. You will be happy with your choice. I have hward some food things. Looking forward to hearing your feedback.

I'm surprised the drop in the front is greater than the drop in the back, my S197 had that high sitting 4x4 rear end stance compared to the front, the FR3 Handling Pack levelled everything out nicely, I think my numbers were opposite to yours, rear drop over one inch and front drop of 3/4" .

Either way, I'm sure you'll be happy with the results.

I used ford springs on my 08 and liked them a lot, good quality.
The steeda.com package I put together at the time had Tokico D spec adjustable shocks.
and all the other goodies.

But if did struts last year, I agree with Charlie should be fine.

I'm surprised the drop in the front is greater than the drop in the back, my S197 had that high sitting 4x4 rear end stance compared to the front, the FR3 Handling Pack levelled everything out nicely, I think my numbers were opposite to yours, rear drop over one inch and front drop of 3/4" .

Either way, I'm sure you'll be happy with the results.
Currently the rear is almost 3/4 of inch lower than the front on my car

Well I got her done! Used Ford Performance B-springs. Got a 1 inch drop all around which is what I wanted. Ride is a little stiffer but not as bad as i thought might happen. Actually feels better driving overall. Much tighter and more precise particularly on corners. Got a few "ghosts in the machine" that resulted from the lowering -- on rougher streets there is a rattling/tapping noise in front end that was not there before. Like something is not quite tight? Or maybe the UPR Caster/Camber plates? Special thanks for 67Again for all the advice given last year!

Attachments

• Before_.jpg
    Before_.jpg
    923.9 KB · Views: 13
  • After.jpg
    After.jpg
    925.5 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Back