Colorado, Utah and Route 66 Roadtrip 2016

My wife would enjoy this also. For me finding that much time in one stretch is the biggest challenge.
I would love to do something like this.

Part 5 - Canyonlands and Arches National Parks, Utah
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Heading from Colorado into Utah, you are no longer in the mountains, but on a high plateau. Driving along the Interstate we kept seeing signs at the exits that said "No Services"...... no problem, we had plenty of fuel.......

Around halfway down the road to Canyonlands realised we didn’t have that much fuel after all, and we hadn’t passed any petrol stations and there were none en route. We stopped and did some quick calculations and worked out that we had just enough to drive round the main road at Canyonlands to the Grand View Point then go to Moab so we continued.

Arrived at Canyonlands at 4:30pm and drove to the Grand View Point and took some photos, then drove to the Mesa Arch and walked the trail and took more photos, then finally stopped at the Visitor Centre / Island in the Sky overlook at 6:30pm, then drove to Moab where we got fuel.... only 30 miles left according to the fuel computer - phew.

We had planned to stay over in Moab, but due to a big ATV event the town was booked up and there is nothing else for a long distance. So we did a quick dash to Arches National Park to get some photos of the sunset, and then decided to head for the house we had rented in South Western Utah (Harmony UT, just South of Cedar City), arriving at 1:30am after a couple of rest stops. Had trouble finding the house, and had to drive past a few times before we eventually identified it - a bit of a longer day than we had planned.

P1100897_zps9l5qdhtv.jpg

P1100941_zpseidku4qc.jpg

View across Canyonlands, these canyons stretch for miles and miles.
P1030881_zpsz9auag4d.jpg

The Mesa Arch
P1110023_zpsumrdx9hg.jpg

P1110118_zps4ljun1wb.jpg

A quick shot from Arches.
P1110293_zpsx2gpmwhc.jpg

Part 6 - Kolob Canyon
-----------------------------
Southern Utah is famous for the red rock desert, canyons and national parks such as Bryce and Zion. Here are a couple of shots from Kolob Canyon.

P1110620_zps5g2u0tmo.jpg

P1110540_zpskzecwtq7.jpg

P1110694_zpsalwojyb9.jpg

P1110703_zpsomp7g0jv.jpg

I like in these shots how it is mainly red and green including the car!

We need more, photos of sun and warm are needed on cold days like this.
Lets us all dream of summer :)

Part 7 - Cedar Breaks and Zion
------------------------------------------
Drove North past Cedar City and headed out towards the Brian Head ski area, stopping to wash the car at a really great (cheap & long) car wash in Parowan. Then climbed into the mountains, again above 10,000 feet. There was a lot of snow around the ski area with high snow banks, even though this was mid May.

P1110744_zps3akxkdwe.jpg

P1110749_zpsbgevthrk.jpg

Then found the viewpoint for Cedar Breaks, which was a short walk on snow! Drove to the junction with another road that was the entrance to the park and it was still closed because of snow!!

P1110837_zpsqgvhsxg3.jpg

Headed towards Panguitch but took the road South through the Dixie National Forest towards Duck Creek Village, and were amazed to see the unexpected massive lava flows from an ancient eruption.

P1110862_zps4sg6adlg.jpg

P1110866_zpsv3gr5uqc.jpg

Along the way, found an interesting sign and strange off roader!!! Anyone for a Ho-made pie?

P1110915a_zpsytgiq1op.jpg

P1110918_zpsgx2cn9bw.jpg

Next stop headed Zion National Park.

Part 7 continued - Zion National Park
-------------------------------------------------
Zion has two main areas to it, the drive thru with some great views, but the main area is by shuttle bus only. As it was hot and the buses were not air conditioned and we could not take the Mustang we skipped the second bit :)

P1110929_zpsjwloasjx.jpg

P1110964_zps8u3xy1k4.jpg

P1120066_zpsekyadqwq.jpg

P1120119_zpsfvpexcau.jpg

P1120154_zpsgttkny6i.jpg

P1120244_zpso36g7gre.jpg

Martin, this might have been asked before and I missed it, but what kind of camera do you use?

Back