Colorado, Utah and Route 66 Roadtrip 2016

Mcdavis

King of the road trip
In 2016 we took a roadtrip across the US ...... 3 weeks, 8,900 miles. Just a small one!

So given that we are all suffering Mustang withdrawal symptoms at this time of year this thread is a photo story of that trip. Enjoy.

Martin.

Attachments

• photo624.jpg
    photo624.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 0
Mcdavis;n11756 said:
In 2016 we took a roadtrip across the US ...... 3 weeks, 8,900 miles. Just a small one!

So given that we are all suffering Mustang withdrawal symptoms at this time of year this thread is a photo story of that trip. Enjoy.

Martin.

We should quite enjoy this :)

No Title

So firstly a little bit of background..... we quite enjoy long road trips around the US and have been doing them for a number of years, including doing some of the MAA in 2014 (see separate thread). We decide a rough route, but it tends to evolve as the trip unfolds.

Here is the route we took.

Attachments

• photo1179.jpg
    photo1179.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 0
All will become clear as the story unfolds, but we did rent a house for a week in Cedar City, Utah so that we had a base to explore all the National Parks round there.

Sometime I'd like to travel a more northern route as you have done ,I've seen the eastern seaboard , 40 ,10 and 20 routes west and east in early spring and bits of the 66 but still lots of countryside for me to see. Keep the pictures rolling out - great to see.

Part 1 - NB to Victor, NY
--------------------------------

A quick blast from Moncton through NH, across VT and into NY state.

One of the beautiful waterfalls in the White Mountains of NH.

IMG_2632_zpsw61jsazu.jpg

The Brick Store in NH, it was a quaint old store, unfortunately now closed down.

IMG_2633_zpsxeb3a6fs.jpg

On the border between NH and VT a slightly strange store.........

IMG_2634_zpsnhqgkxhh.jpg

Part 2 - The next couple of days were more about covering some ground, so not a lot to report! Was interested to come across the Quaker Steak and Lube, love the oldy world style.

P1030404_zpsd2qyrcet.jpg

Along the way we stopped off at the John Deere museum and visitor centre in downtown Moline (well we just had to really!!!)

P1030552_zpszgx5dwnu.jpg

Then onward thru Nebraska towards Colorado. We stumbled across this interesting visitor centre in Kearney and a great little car museum nearby.

P1030594_zpseytpkp8j.jpg

P1030599_zpsxvddhbvu.jpg

Part 3 - Colorado
-----------------------
Shortly after crossing into Colorado we saw tumbleweed blowing across the road – it was very rural! Arrived in the Boulder area around 7pm so took a look at a cheaper hotel we had found on TripAdvisor that had good reviews – the young lady on the front desk was very nice but the place resembled a college dorm, with some interesting residents and some interesting smells, we thought we might be high by the time we left! We made a prompt exit.

After exploring Boulder the next morning, we headed into the mountains. The Interstate climbs to over 11,000ft here (to put this into perspective, one of the biggest mountains on the east coast, Mount Washington is only 6,289 ft). So our Mustang has driven to nearly twice the height of Mount Washington!!!!!!

P1100289_zpsajkusesj.jpg

(Photo of the gps as proof of the height :) )

Last edited:
Part 4 - Colorado National Monument
--------------------------------------------------
Heading out of the hotel in the morning we got chatting to some locals and they recommended the Colorado National Monument - not somewhere we had heard of before. So why not....... amazing place!

P1030800_zpsettxhbo2.jpg

P1030831_zpspvfrez04.jpg

P1100601_zpsrywwj7dd.jpg

I should have added earlier but this whole trip was a great excuse to do a 3 weeks, 9,000 mile photo shoot :) Good job my wife enjoys doing this as much as I do!

Back