Brake pad decisions

Rich06

Navigator
My 06 GT needs new brake shoes and rotors and I'd like a bit more stopping power. I've narrowed it down to 2 possibilities, the Hawk HPS 5.0 or the EBC Redstuff. Any thoughts on either?

Thanks

New stuff will be better for sure. the question you need to ask is how hard do you use the brakes? If you are racing or need something for track use, you need to go for a harder pad, that will stand up to the heat. These types will only work well once they get hot. On the other hand if you go for a softer pad, closer to stock option they will work fine for normal driving. These work better and quicker at lower temperatures.
HPS would be a good all round choice.

The 5.0 will need to be hotter to work well.
The other option might be to upgrade to Gt500 calipers and rotors. You might find a take off set used for a good price. They would be a direct bolt on.
Be careful on the drilled rotors they tend to develop cracks at high temps. I have no experience with slotted rotors, but I would pick those over drilled.

Went through the same process a few years ago and after much research and conversations I went with:
Baer cross drilled and slotted rotors with Hawk Ceramic pads. Decided on the Ceramic as they are close to the HPS pads but no dust at all and no noise at all. Very pleased with this setup and a big improvement over stock as well. Bonus with this setup is there is no rust on rotors other than on the contact spot after being exposed to rain which disappears as soon as you drive it around the block. Hope this helps you out a bit.....

05 gt 5spd;n6034 said:
I have the caliper wind back tools at the house when the time comes

Thanks, I can't remeber if I bought Sean one or not. On a related note, we finished the ball joint on one side of the Cooper, he did nice work cleaning up his mess which wasn't all his fault. FYI I have 8m X 1.25 and 10m X 1.5 helicoil kits on hand :) Do you need your grinder in the near future?

I have another for now
I know where you live if I need it sooner than your planned delivery. Enjoy the weekend!

Tdot is off my supplier list, I ordered the brake stuff from tem online and got a confirmation email that my order was being processed. 2 days later I get an email from a human saying that some of what I wanted was out of stock and would take 6 weeks or so. I asked what was out of stock, wait a while and get a response that it was the rotors. I do a little more looking and ask for a price on some different rotors. 2 more days go by and they eventually offer me the web price less 5%. I'm still waiting for a response to my cancel teh order email yesterday

Meanwhile on CJ Pony's webpage they tell you when you click on a more info button if they have it in stock instead of waiting until the order is placed. I put the order in at 11:00 am and I just received an Email saying that it was shipped. Worth the extra bucks.

Well that sucks. Was it your first time with using them? Used them for my shocks last year and I had great success and fast shipping from the guy I was dealing with. Only had the one dealing with them so far though.

I used them for the springs and shocks for my Cooper, they took 3 months to arrive. I could wait for them, the brakes for the Mustang are a little more urgent, I almost expect to hear the out of brakepad squeal any day now

Back