Your Ultimate road trip(s) - Where would they be?

Then there was another car museum on the NM - Texas border in Bard, NM.
In a big family owned truck stop. The entry price to the museum was voluntary with all proceeds going to local charities.
There was a sign showing how much they had donated over the years. It was impressively high. In the millions, I believe.

A few pics of the cars in there. All very finely preserved examples. No garbage here.
And lots of Elvis, John Wayne and Marilyn Monroe memorabilia on the walls.

IMG_0612[1].JPG

IMG_0614[1].JPG

IMG_0615[1].JPG

IMG_0616[1].JPG

IMG_0621[1].JPG

IMG_0623[1].JPG

IMG_0627[1].JPG

IMG_0629[1].JPG

IMG_0635[1].JPG

IMG_0644[1].JPG

Then came the National Route 66 museum in Elk City, Oklahoma.

Old grader used in the construction of Route 66 in 1926.
The road contractor that used it in the construction sold it to the city of Elk City for $10.00 in 1931.

IMG_0662[1].JPG
IMG_0664[1].JPG

This was a period replica of a store front section along the route.
In the background you can see what was claimed to be the largest Route 66 sign in existence.
I have a close up picture but the format won't fit the site.

IMG_0668[1].JPG

Inside had different Route 66 exhibits.

IMG_0672[1].JPG

IMG_0678[1].JPG

IMG_0682[1].JPG

IMG_0683[1].JPG

IMG_0684[1].JPG

IMG_0686[1].JPG

I left Route 66 in Oklahoma and headed through Arkansas to hit Nashville, Bowling Green and the Appalachians.
Without planning for it, I hit Nashville during CMA Fan Fest and the Stanley Cup playoffs.
The place was packed and hopping.

IMG_0704[1].JPG

IMG_0713[1].JPG

IMG_0711[1].JPG

IMG_0725[1].JPG

Next was the Corvette museum in Boling Green, KY.
Lots to see in there. It's across the street from a beautiful track.
The experience of picking up your new Vette at the museum would be cool.
The lady at the entrance was kind to me. She said she would not charge me extra because I was wearing a Ford shirt.

Some of the highlights.

IMG_0730[1].JPG

The Vettes in the following two pics in front of the delivery office and the library were sold and waiting Museum delivery to their new owners.
The names of the owners and the planned date of the delivery was indicated on the cars.

IMG_0731[1].JPG

IMG_0732[1].JPG

IMG_0733[1].JPG

IMG_0741[1].JPG

IMG_0748[1].JPG

Some of the Vettes damaged in the cave-in.

IMG_0765[1].JPG

IMG_0768[1].JPG

The two windows on the floor in front of the red cone allow to see down in part of the crater that caved in.

IMG_0776[1].JPG

All the Corvette generations side by side.

IMG_0778[1].JPG

Cool springs is south west of Kingman Az , near Oatman, was part of the old 66 Kingman to Needles CA

Last edited:
Great trip , brings back some memories , was in the Rt66 museum in Elk City, , we were heading west and trying to miss the incoming tornado from the south - only ran into small hail - missed the crazy stuff by a few hours thankfully.

Was that your new Fusion Sport in one of the Pics Marc ? I bet that car was a dream to drive on some of those Twisty back roads.

Impressive how they've been able to rebuild inside there after that massive ground failure.

I feel the same, make me dream too like I said above somewhere... BUT I am more counting something like ... ehh.... 30-40 years?? LOL :p I will need to find time somewhere before that to at least do a part of all this!

Wicked trips, hope some day I have enough time to do one of these.
Keep the pics coming, help us get through the winter months :)

Fantastic to see your photos. We did NB to Colorado, Utah, then back along Route 66 in May 2016 (see another thread round here somewhere for the Colorado and Utah photos). We also did both of the car museums and the Route 66 museum in your photos ;-). Will have to post some of our Route 66 photos sometime soon.

Yes, it was the new Fusion and a dream to drive Fred.
Especially on secondary roads where I could punch the sport button on the gear shifter and feel the car transform.
Gear shifts and throttle mapping changed to be more aggressive.
But most notable was the transformation of the suspension and handling from the Magnetic dampers being fully engaged.
My sister even noticed it from the passenger seat and described it as "it feels like the cars has you..."
Meaning the car has your butt in its hands. Very poised and inspiring handling.
Instantly improves the confidence of the driver.
Hard to explain until you experience it.
Word of advice for anyone purchasing a 2018 or later Mustang going Forward.
Splurge for the track pack and get the Magnetic dampers.
They are worth every penny.

Too bad it rained on that Friday night cruise...
It would have been so much better for you guys had it not.
Good memories of Charlotte.
I wish my shotgun ride on the road course in that Boss 302 with the Ford hot shoe would have lasted a few laps longer.

Back