Vinyl protector

ChrisMarrio

Hi. I bought my convertible late last year, 2007 and the vinyl is showing its age slightly. It's cracked, mostly where it folds. Is there a quick and easy fix for them so you can't notice as much and it doesn't get worse.
Also, what product is good to use for a protector?
Thanks!

Attachments

• 20230424_200309.jpg
    20230424_200309.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 3
  • 20230424_200317.jpg
    20230424_200317.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 3
Hey Chris,

Al's (Mineral Grey) proposal is actually very good, for a guy without a convertible ;) . It can be used as the top in question is vinyl. There are kits out there purposefully made to seal the convertible vinyl tops (Raggtop convertible top kits are made either vinyl or cloth), but a good vinyl protector like the one above may be used. As a matter of fact, the 303 Aerospace Protectant shown here is probably seen as one of the best in the industry.

https://carzilla.ca/collections/brand-303-products-canada/products/303-aerospace-proctant-16oz
(note you can buy in multiple sizes on there)

Word of advise: When comes the time to replace your convertible top, DO NOT fall for the aftermarket fabric tops. They look good but stick with vinyl for the replacement. Our car's top frame does not like the ''upgrade'' to a fabric top (they tend to be thicker & don't play well with the frame).

Hey Chris,

Al's (Mineral Grey) proposal is actually very good, for a guy without a convertible ;) . It can be used as the top in question is vinyl. There are kits out there purposefully made to seal the convertible vinyl tops (Raggtop convertible top kits are made either vinyl or cloth), but a good vinyl protector like the one above may be used. As a matter of fact, the 303 Aerospace Protectant shown here is probably seen as one of the best in the industry.

https://carzilla.ca/collections/brand-303-products-canada/products/303-aerospace-proctant-16oz
(note you can buy in multiple sizes on there)

Word of advise: When comes the time to replace your convertible top, DO NOT fall for the aftermarket fabric tops. They look good but stick with vinyl for the replacement. Our car's top frame does not like the ''upgrade'' to a fabric top (they tend to be thicker & don't play well with the frame).
That's great, thanks for all the info, its much appreciated. I am trying to not replace the top for another year or two (or more if I can handle it), but I plan on vinyl and not the cloth, I have read that others did it, but I likely will not. Two votes for the 303, so its now ordered.

That's great, thanks for all the info, its much appreciated. I am trying to not replace the top for another year or two (or more if I can handle it), but I plan on vinyl and not the cloth, I have read that others did it, but I likely will not. Two votes for the 303, so its now ordered.
I did cloth, trust me ... If I would be due to change again, I would run back to OEM Vinyl!

I have used the Ragtop stuff since I got the car and really like it, works great.
If you want to hide the wear and tear pictured above you can try to match it with a permanent marker, it won't fix the wear but it will hide it until you get your roof replaced.
I'm scheduled for a new roof in late may and I am too staying with vinyl. Many of my friends have the cloth roof and yes it does look richer at first but it has a tendency to spot as time goes and it does require more attention as compared to the vinyl one. The repair shop where I am taking my car as already advised me to never wash my roof with soap, always use stuff like ragtop, as apparently soap can dry the finish of the roof shortening it's life.
And congrats on the Mustang purchase.

Back