Transmission Leak - Explorer

thundr

I pulled the boat home from the lake today. When I un hooked there seemed to be oil on the tail gate. Got under it and there apears to be a transmission leak. Lucky I made it home.

Will have to find out what to do next.

Looks like from the transmission. I would say the front seal. At a minimum trans has to come out to replace the seal. Just guessing tho. Going to call around to see what the options are.

Good luck on the diagnosis . on on my way to the transmission shop in a about 20 minutes for the mustang.. I've have a few generation 3 Explorers and had to rebuild all the transmissions in them. Good luck and hope it's a quick , easy, low cost fix..

Could it have just been running hot, from the trailering, and some fluid pushed out the dip stick tube? That may make it seem like a front seal, from underneath.

GM's had a problem with their 700R4 doing that in some late 80's and early 90's trucks. There was a safety recall, and they supplied a locking dip stick to replace the standard one.

I have not zeroed in on the problem yet. My long time mechanic friend suggested the cooler lines sprung a leak.
There is no dip stick on this trans. There is a drain plug on the bottom with a way to check fluid and fill from this.
I want to make sure there is enough fluid to take it for a short spin and to the shop. I already know more than I want to auto trans,lol.
I have only ever owned two explorers and seem both need transmission work.

It seems these electric shift trans with solenoid valves will keep shifting til they blow up. The older hydraulic system would fail at the least bit of problems. All most like a safety to prevent further damage.

Hopefully mine is a leak and can be repaired.

No progress on fixing the leak, but I did confirm it is the trans leaking. I put about 800ml of fluid in to top it off, one 60 ml seringe at a time.
The leak is coming from inside the bell housing so it's looking like the trans has to come out. With the transfer case and all, looking like a bigger job than I feel like taking on. Add what happens when it's out, not much experience with autos.

I have learned the transmission is a 5R55 which is the same style as the mustang. I don't think you can swap an Explorer Transmission into a mustange or vice versa. The explorer is a 5R55W and the mustang is a 5R55S, I think the S is the manual shift mode in the mustang.

Back