STAGGERED OR SQUARE. how do you roll?

Mineral Grey

whats your preference? and why? i like the look of staggered for sure, a bit expensive to do rotations but still like em. also with the 305's on the rear it gives me pretty good grip. stock size were too much side wall and not enough road contact, too many accidental peels:sorry... i find the car handles much better now.. right now i have 20x10 front with 275/35's and 20x12 rear with 305/35's

My last car was offset by design, I like the look also.
My current car came that way and also like the look.
Won't be changing that anytime soon.

I have kept the factory set up on mine. 245/47/17 on all 4s. Tires last longer. Some 01 BULLITT owners have gone as wide as : 275/40-17 Front and 315/35-17 Rear. All they had to do was roll the rear inner lip in a bit. No point in going that route with my Stock set up, but an extra 200 HP and 4:10 gears with that tire set up would be fun.

Presently running same on all four (255/35/20) but looking at new wheels so was thinking going staggered.

So yeah good question as I am wondering on how this switch might change my ride.

How did you guys find switching over? Was it a positive thing or did you not like it??

I went from 18X9 all around (255/35/18 front 265/35/18 rear) to 18X10 in the rear (now have 265/35/18 front and 295/35/18 rear)

The look is awesome both front and back....love the wider rear look and both end tires fill the space quite nicely. The ride certainly changed with the car. Really notice the ruts or grooves at highway speeds so have to be careful with that. But you really notice the extra beef when you step on it and that's a nice feature to have when you put the hammer down :)

No Title

Yeah I forgot about the ruts , the wider tires really track in these. I had 275 on the rear and 245 on the front with the same rims. Totally hated them, way too rough of a ride. When I went up a few sizes it got better. Wasn't until I put on the top strut brace that made the ride much better. First pic is with the smaller tires. Second pic with current street Comps

Attachments

• photo1234.jpg
    photo1234.jpg
    327 KB · Views: 0
  • photo1235.jpg
    photo1235.jpg
    211.6 KB · Views: 0
Typically a square set up is better for road racing. big rears and small forms better for drag racing.
There is some obvious exceptions, but for a street look, the bigger rears give a mustang a meaner look.
The trick is in the balance.

Square for now because I have to rotate to get the miles out of the tires.
If I win big I will likely install a wide body kit and then staggered it will be! I doubt the wide staggered would be as street able or handle as good but the looks might be worth it.

Part two : Brand of Tires

What Brand do you prefer and which ones should we stay away from ??

Presently riding on Nitto 555's that replaced General UHP's but I find the Nitto's to be way more bouncy in the corners. If I was to go staggered I would have to get new shoes as I can no longer match the 555's a they have been replaced by the 555 G2, so what do you guys like best ??

I had 2 sets of Good Years on my Mustang then switched to these last year. Great Tire, worth the little extra they cost compared to the Good Years.

mi_pilot_spt_as3_pdpcrop.jpg

No Title

Had nexen n3000, too hard, no grip, hydroplanes very easy. Sold them as quick as I could.. Bought Mickey Thompson Street Comps. I am really liking them , the side grip in cornering and the traction grip for getting off the line quick. Also hydroplaning is minimized ..so far 11k on them and still holding up good

Attachments

• photo1242.jpg
    photo1242.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 0
Didn't get a chance to buy when I was in Montreal so I'll have to try the Nova Scotia luck Friday night !

This is what's on my 2005 GT as well , lasted for 2.5 years of my driving.
Had run 2 sets of Pirelli before and a set of Falken - you get what you pay for

Good question on tires. As I mentioned last year I was having a lot of trouble with handling and vibration on my '02 GT. After alignments and numerous tire balances it was recommended I replace front struts and rear shocks as tires seemed good. Helped some but now thinking it is the Bridgestone Potenza tires. Lots of tread and no visible issues but are a very rigid tire. Anyone else ran them? Should I get rid of them?

I second you get what you pay for. I also believe you need to buy what suits your driving and intended use.
I went with Michelin Pilot Super Sports, pictured here. I think there are newer sicker versions out now. I kinda wished now that I squared them up, although very happy with them.

IMG_20140703_201319_zpsa3030527.jpg

IMG_20140528_162534_zps1115c8a8.jpg

I think Trevor that you had Nitto Invo's on your other car if I'm not mistaken. How did you like those and what size were they ??

Back