Racing 2021

Ohtobbad

Administrator
Staff member
The 2021 racing season begins today.
Nascar, Daytona 500. who will be watching?

What if any racing do you follow?

I used to be hard core F-1 and GT racing fan.
Indy car back in the day, when it was real good,
before Tony George managed to rip it apart.

Now I watch a few, follow most on sports channels.
with stats and winners.

Sad to say, but NASCAR changed on that last lap of the 500 twenty years ago, lots of old school fans like myself started checking out after Earnhardt died. I hung in for a few years, the last race I went to in person was the Sharpie 500 in August 2007, my interest really started going downhill after that, and pretty much completely lost interest after Jeff Gordon retired in 2015.

The IROC series used to be a favourite of mine, sadly thats gone as well.

I hear what you're saying about Indy car, I was a fan when Greg Moore and Paul Tracey were running the Players cars in the 90's , then Moore had his accident at Fontana on Halloween in '99. F1 was good for a few years , but lost interest in that too.

Gave up my cable, so no race broadcasts on major networks to watch these days, just highlights and the radio chatter on the "Radioactive" features of youtube. I did check out a couple of races last year when they live streamed a camera on a particular car, but you do miss the commentary and other camera perspectives from a TV broadcast.

Don't watch much any more , used to go to Louden for Nascar ever year and watched most every race on tv, now not so much, haven't been to a race in about 6 years now . I will watch the Daytona 500 and a few others throughout the year. Like above, the more that retired and new faces come in , it's just dwindled away ..

I like racing but only seem to enjoy it live. I have a hard time watching it on TV. I went to stock car races quite a bit when I was younger. Really enjoyed that.

I made it out to the Daytona 500 race with my boss and a couple other guys in 2013. We had an awesome time, however I was spoiled spending 4 days on the inside of the track watching and enjoying all the action from up top of the roof of a motor home. The nights were awesome as well.

Got to go on the track before the race as all the drivers came out for their introductions in the back of the chevy silverados. The singing of the National anthem. Sent chills down your spine. Never saw so many people get cleared out of an area in 10 minutes. Those troopers don't screw around. Lol.

Walking up the track at the start line was cool. That track is banked hard. I was not expecting that

Sad part is we witnessed a very scary crash on the Saturday night race's final lap.
30 injuries.

"In a news conference nearly three hours later, Daytona International Speedway president Joie Chitwood said 28 people were injured by debris from the wreck, with 14 being transported off property for treatment and 14 treated at the track's care center."

It was an awesome time that I will never forget. The small city that comes alive inside the track is incredible. There is definitely lots to do and see.

I rarely watch anymore as it is just not the same as being there for me.

2CCD995C-85C5-4DD9-B904-D2A091B4A390.jpeg86324CD8-DDD5-4611-80B1-55D9BAFDAB04.jpeg371AFEB9-0188-4159-9C98-1F76717FCF4D.jpegCB9877BF-0902-4437-8D48-B65FFD444816.jpeg

2127B74B-8278-4DD3-BA0B-48E97D0A449B.jpeg7EC170AE-A245-4B4A-ACCA-C90C825548AA.jpegB539E979-EC38-45BC-AED0-BEBF20695E21.jpeg37F86DB4-A55A-42EB-A289-5360572BFEB2.jpeg5C3A9FFB-F854-4A31-8251-70C989236BC0.jpegBBE347A2-2946-4ADD-B0C7-DD0D27B21418.jpeg

I have been t louden for Nascar, Toronto and Cleveland for Inday car ( old days)
I have been to Montreal several times for F-1, but like others its not the same anymore, with rule
changes , stages and some of the greats no longer around , not quite the same.

That said a few races I would like to see before I am dead.
NHRA drag racing, Daytona and Louden, F-1 Spa :)
and 24 hour of Lemans. But likely be lucky to see any of these,
before my time has come lol.

I’ll watch the beginning to catch up on the latest news and the last hundred miles to the finish.
In between, I’ll be out cleaning snow around house to get ready for tomorrow’s storm.

I still like to follow.
Yah, old heroes are no longer there but still some good rivalries and good drivers.
Time does not stand still.
The only true constant is change.

Ford has good stars such as Logano, Keslowski and Harvick.
The Toyota camp lead by K. Busch, Truex Jr. and Hamlin.

Chevy has the best young talent group lead by Chase Elliott, son of former star Bill Elliott, a star father-son duo like Dale Sr. and Dale Jr. were.

I like watching NASCAR on road courses and there will be more of those this year. ?

I’m always up for watching IMSA for a few laps and try to get the winners and standings.
Different camera angles give you opportunity to imagine driving the course yourself.

Like catching the starts of F1 and curious to see how guys like Vettel will fare this season.
Here too, second generation on the way with Michael Schumacher’s son knocking on the door of F1 with his impressive showing in F2 last season.

Do not pay attention to Indy whatsoever for several years now.

NHRA is a great show.
I attended 4 wide racing at Z Max drag way in Charlotte in 2014.
The percussion waves from the headers hit you in the chest even way up in the bleachers.
Impressive in deed.
Ho, and don’t forget ear protection.

In the end, I prefer and will try to watch anything on a road course.
Motorcycles, trophy trucks and all race cars...

Talking about ear protection lol.
I was in montreal, last year of the Ferrari V12's reving
to 16,000 was impressive then, they go to 20k now
I was in the Senna turn and as the Ferrari accelaterated out
of turn if you did not turn head with car and follow it physically hurt :)
Incredible sound, not likely to ever be heard again.

I would also like to see world of outlaws :)
850 hp in those little cars weighting nothing
on dirt, be wicked to see.

I saw the World of Outlaws run at Skagit Speedway in Washington state several years ago. Amazing car handling. You get real dirty by the end of the evening. You could feel the fine dirt hit you every single lap. I'm sure those giant wings had a lot to do with that.

F1 bores the heck out of me, I'd much rather watch Indy car races when it comes to open wheeled cars. Sad that it got so screwed up a few years back, when CART had a falling out with the Georges.
I watch NASCAR pretty regularly, but the constant rule changes are really messing with the racing compared to what it used to be. Mandatory cautions, several stages to a race. The lucky dog (free pass), and the wave around rules, have messed with what was real racing. In what other car racing can you get back on the lead lap, when you are a lap down, simple because a caution is called?
I watch NHRA, but really only like the 1/4 mile strips. Some cars just do better on the big end, and I think the 1/8th mile penalizes them.
My favorites are any class of sports car and GT racing, road courses preferred over street courses.
I enjoy the Australia Supercars Championship series. Some kickass Mustangs run in that exciting to watch series. Of course the Trans-Am series, which is kind of our version of the Supercar series.

Back