Need help deciding what to do with my transmission

RoyalDragoon

Mach 1 forever ?
Hi folks, I'm in a dilemma on what I should do with my transmission. I'm having problems with my syncros 1-2... Should I get the original tranny upgraded with better TR 3650 parts or get a TKO 500 Transmission that can handle 500hp. I may want to upgrade in the future to potentially get 500hp out of the engine.
I'm limited to who can rebuild a Transmission in my area (with no warranty) or go with a new transmission and get a warranty for a lot more...4500 taxes, & shipping in.
From PEI

RoyalDragoon;n29086 said:
Hi folks, I'm in a dilemma on what I should do with my transmission. I'm having problems with my syncros 1-2... Should I get the original tranny upgraded with better TR 3650 parts or get a TKO 500 Transmission that can handle 500hp. I may want to upgrade in the future to potentially get 500hp out of the engine.
I'm limited to who can rebuild a Transmission in my area (with no warranty) or go with a new transmission and get a warranty for a lot more...4500 taxes, & shipping in.
From PEI

Thats tough, it really depends on how good the transmission guy is and
How much its going to be to rebuild. You could look at used with low KM's.
Nothing easy or cheap about it. Love to know what you decide and do.

Low km from a salvage yard and they usually give 90 days warranty.. And a total rebuild on a manual should be no more than $3500 even with the upgraded parts, and should have a year warranty..
Saint John has a real good transmission shop. Might be worth a call to them, they did my automatic last year and installed upgraded internals and clutches ..
​​​Should save you about $1k from buying new ..

RoyalDragoon;n29100 said:
Thanks for the advice. What kind of horsepower and torque can the stock TR 3650 handle. Someday, I'd like some kind of power adder... And at least a TKO 500 would be up to the job.

I remember hearing something like 400. But You are correct, with the TKO 500 there would be less worries. "You can Pay me now, or You can Pay me later", comes to mind.

I'm not a transmission expert but have done lots of modding.
My philosophy is: "If you're spending on something, make it better than original".
I call it investing in my car, not modifying.
Anything I touch gets improved upon.
From seats to exhaust, wheels to brakes, or tires to suspension to induction.
If I replace it, I replace with something stronger, lighter or better performing.
You're already saying you're thinking about boosting in future.
You might as well lay a foundation now. Translation: TKO 500.
I like Fred's quote above: "Pay the man now or pay him later".

Yesterday a great friends and I were able to remove the transmission. We removed the clutch and flywheel also. Inside the clutch at one time a family of mice lived in there. It was tricky getting the H-Pipe off, as the nut on the furthest right (low) passenger side siezed on really good. Of course it's the one with the least room and a very bad angle. We cut it off with a torch and rethreaded the stud. Also the wiring harness at the very top of the bellhousing became stuck. We had to use a long pry bar and move it just enough.
Now with the tranny drained, I'll be taking it to have hopefully just the 1-2 Synchros replaced along with the 2nd gear (if it needs it).
Also getting the flywheel resurfaced... As a caution when the new JDK clutch stage 2 goes in.
I'll keep you posted
P.S. I couldn't go big (TKO 500) I'd miss the spring run.

Last edited:
Update to my transmission dilemma... My guy who thought maybe a rebuild is in order now says he'll order a manufactured one with warranty, upgraded parts, and dyno tested. Being a transmission KING-O-MATIC is saying is stock their trying to get off their shelf, I'll get it everything in for $2185.00. Not bad I guess. Should be going in next week, can't wait.

The transmission is finally here, likely going in on Saturday. The six month warranty is happening at the right time also... Spring summer months. As far as I've been reading Mercron V synthetic trans fluid is required, and only 3 litres. Pinky width below the fill hole. I don't believe an oil stabilizer is needed, maybe you can help with that one.
Side note the pilot bearing came out using wet flyer paper packed in tight then using a 1/2" extension I pounded in the hole and eventually the bearing came out. Very easy clean up unlike grease. Putting in the new bearing with a 27mm socket went smooth also. My question now is do I need to lubricate on top of the thin lubrication that's already on this new pilot bearing. I heard none and I heard white lithium grease, and also synthetic bearing grease for high temp. Your thoughts please.
I'll keep you posted soon.

Well folks great news! My rebuilt transmission went in yesterday. With a little coaxing we installed a resurfaced flywheel, new stage 2 clutch and finally the rebuilt transmission. Topped up with 5 L. Dextron V fluid. Took it for a run and hallelujah everything is running smoothly. Little notchy, and it has a bit of a gear whine... Typical of new gears. Waiting for my warranty paperwork and I'll be 100% happy. See everyone on the 4th. of May.
If anyone has any questions regarding the overhaul just ask.

Glad to hear all went well. Did the rebuilder/ installer suggest an oil change after a few thousand kms of use/ break in ? I’m not sure what your season running will be but I think a change with hot oil( after a good run) would be a good idea before the season ends to flush out the break in material and give you and your new transmission a long and happier life. Just my 2 cents worth.

RoyalDragoon;n29822 said:
Well folks great news! My rebuilt transmission went in yesterday. With a little coaxing we installed a resurfaced flywheel, new stage 2 clutch and finally the rebuilt transmission. Topped up with 5 L. Dextron V fluid. Took it for a run and hallelujah everything is running smoothly. Little notchy, and it has a bit of a gear whine... Typical of new gears. Waiting for my warranty paperwork and I'll be 100% happy. See everyone on the 4th. of May.
If anyone has any questions regarding the overhaul just ask.

Are You still running the Stock Shifter ?

I swapped out mine for an MGW a few years ago. My only regret is that I didn't do it earlier.

Back