My New Daily Driver (direct from Japan?!)

torch

Tech Guy
Staff member
You guys probably know I like to try out new cars. Well I've got a new one for ya. I needed another daily driver as we now have 4 drivers in the household.
I ended up purchasing an automatic 2003 Subaru Forester XT with 50,000km on it, straight out of of Japan.

The Criteria

First let me explain how I ended up here: my criteria for vehicle selection had to meet the following spec:

1. Inexpensive
2. Low mileage
3. No rust

Well, no surprise, in Canada you can only choose two out of those three and find anything reasonable. You can get no rust, cheap, but high mileage. Lots of those around. And you can get cheap, and low mileage, but it will have major mechanical or body issues. And finally, you can get low mileage and no rust, but it's going to be expensive.

It turns out that Japan is a great place to buy used vehicles. It's a small island and it's extremely congested. So people buy vehicles, but then they don't drive them, because they have nowhere to go. And the lower part of Japan's geography/climate is such that they don't need to salt their roads. This leads to older, lower mileage vehicles that are in great condition.

But why so cheap, then?

Japan has an extremely stringent, thorough vehicle examination that all vehicles must go through at different stages of their life. And for one reason or another, many people choose to just buy a new vehicle rather than go through the trouble of these exams.

So there is a huge export market in Japan where they are just constantly rolling these vehicles on to ships and sending them all over the world. In Canada, you can import a vehicle from anywhere in the world provided it's at least 15 years old. This is really cool, because there are now all kinds of great, well-built vehicles available from the early 2000's that we can get our hands on.

The Caveat

The one weird thing about all of this, of course, is that the vehicle is right-hand drive. I've had all kinds of people telling me i'm nuts. I don't care. I've been driving it now for 3 days, and I was completely used to the different setup after a couple of hours. It feels completely normal to me already.

The Cost

I'm an open book. Here's exactly what this cost me so far:

$5800
This is the total cost to get the vehicle from Japan into the Halifax port. This includes any fee you can think of, including 5% tax. I used a Commercial Import Broker to help me get this thing here. They handled all of the communication, shipping, insurance, transactions, exporting and importing for me.

$395
This is what I paid to Service New Brunswick. This covered licensing (sticker), license plate (they only issue one now!), tire levy ($4 on 5 tires) and the remaining 10% tax owed.
Bonus: out of the $5800 above, the vehicle invoice / customs value was only $1500!!. The rest of it was fees, shipping, etc.

$190
Paid to Canadian tire. New Brunswick Inspection and Daytime Running Light install. The Subaru passed inspection without issue. Tires are in great shape, brakes are great, etc.
Bonus: Vehicles from Japan that are 15+ years old are RIV exempt, so no extra fees for that!

The Result

For $6385 total (equivalent to $5552 before tax if I bought it locally), I have a low mileage, no rust, and inexpensive daily driver. And did I mention it's all-wheel-drive? Great for winter driving.
And did I mention it's the legendary Subaru 2.0 turbo boxer engine? I'm one muffler away from "BRAP BRAPPPP" all day long :)

Here are some pictures!

Attachments

• photo3542.jpg
    photo3542.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 1
  • photo3543.jpg
    photo3543.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 1
  • photo3544.jpg
    photo3544.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 1
  • photo3545.jpg
    photo3545.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 1
  • photo3547.jpg
    photo3547.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 1
  • photo3548.jpg
    photo3548.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 1
  • photo3549.jpg
    photo3549.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 1
  • photo3551.jpg
    photo3551.jpg
    191.2 KB · Views: 1
  • photo3552.jpg
    photo3552.jpg
    166.9 KB · Views: 1
  • photo3553.jpg
    photo3553.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 2
  • photo3555.jpg
    photo3555.jpg
    214.4 KB · Views: 2
  • photo3556.jpg
    photo3556.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Well, that is pretty cool! Let's partner up and go crazy on cars the ricer crowd would snap up. The right hand drive would be worth a big markup right out of the gate. Ordering a crate of fart cans and some cheap Chinese wrap should bring in some cash for some descent Mustang mods, Phil!

Last edited:
pei_guy;n32191 said:
Well, that is pretty cool! Let's partner up and go crazy on cars thebricer crowd would snap up. The right hand drive would be worth a big markup right out of the gate. Ordering a crate of fart cans and some cheap Chinese wrap should bring in some cash for some descent Mustang mods, Phil!

i'm not opposed to the idea, but it's a long game for sure. This was a 12 week process for me. But you can save $1K per vehicle if you figure out the process and cut out the broker.

Same color as my old 04' I still prefer this gen of foresters over the new ones .. There is no hiding that I like the reliable go anywhere Subaru's , even though I only have 4 in my driveway now.. Had many over the years ..i Know someone currently trying to get a Supra or GTR from over there as well , hope he gets a deal like you

I think its great for what you bought it for.

Now because I can't help myself, Do you consider yourself,
one of the 4 drivers ? :)
Right hand is not problem for people not in right side of their mind :)
Now you have a subaru do you have to take it to a
subaru park for it to get its work out LOL.

As far as starting an import business, go for it, you get it right
and can turn a profit, but beware. The rules change when buying to sell.
You can make a mistake and car can sit for weeks in customs or if they get in a mood.
Last but not least, you get it wrong, be prepared to drive it.

I know a guy who does this and sells cars for a living, brings a container or two a year.
He still has on from 2 years ago, is going to sell at a loss, it can be a fickle market.
Remember 15 year old cars are exceptionally hard to finance, so buyer has to have cash.
Most buyers in this market are younger 30.

will be great conversation

I'm liking the idea of a supra project car.... fun little winter hobby. We have a few autocross junkies on here who might feel a tug tonget into something like that every once in awhile:)

Being the owner of a RHD vehicle, can I point out one small problem, which is insuring RHD vehicles. Due to too many people importing high performance RHD vehicles from Japan then crashing them, it is now very difficult and expensive to insure them.

Well phil, i like that one for sure! I was going to do the same in 2016 if foulem wasn’t buying me the jetta. Ohhh did i look all over the manual sti forester... still dream of it till this day!
happy for you guy, as i know you will get crazyyyy fun this winter and above all, be safe!

67 AGAIN;n32203 said:
Nice story.
Insurance... They look after themselves.
A lawyer once described them like this:
They own the game and make up all the rules.
If you ever have a claim, it's like having to navigate through a giant cob web to get to your money.

The one I've heard is that insurance companies have 2 rooms for staff....1 sells policies and the other finds ways not to pay out claims. I do have to say shopping for the cheapest policies can frequently get you the poorest service when it comes time to use it. I've had the unfortunate experience a few times to file claims for auto and home with incredible service from agents and adjusters. Had a case where I had an auto claim once from a car vs moose collision on a long weekend and vehicle claim portion was settled by noon Tuesday, before I had a chance to consider a replacement vehicle. The premiums, either monthly or annually, can save ruining a lifetime of investing and savings. Don't like it...ride a bus, I guess:)

Well, it's true that insurance was a bit of a hassle. I'm currently insured with Allstate (and have been there for 12 years), and they told me to pound sand when I asked them to add the Subaru. I was more than a little surprised. But then I started calling around and it was not what I expected. No one wants to insure RHD vehicles. I suspect it's because the Underwriters, who live in Toronto and have never seen the other side of their desk, think that RHD is big and scary and therefore can't be driven safely in Canada. Whatever.

I ended up getting a separate policy with "Go To Insure" in Moncton. $1100 a year. It's definitely more expensive than your typical policy, but not like something you would pay if you were a teenager with speeding tickets and trying to insure a mustang lol.

As a result of this, Allstate kinda ticked me off, even though they've been pretty good over the years. When it comes to renewal time in November I'm going to shop my policy around and see what comes back.

I insurance companies are crooks, oops did I use my outside voice.
This winter, I had the joy of doing the research on business and home
to move everything, no claims $9000 increase.
Aliona was re-ended before Christmas the insurance company tried to find away
to blame the person who hit her and her, so they could raise her rates, ( no fault insurance )

I found out in this wonderful process, that insurance is going up across the board for pretty much everyone.
Also the are insuring your car for who might hit you instead of your driving record.
SO nicer the car more you pay for the person with 1200 car hits you :(

I did the work, ( 3 months) and changed companies and it only went up about $2500
but did get some better coverages. Only thing I have cheap to insures, Ironically is my Mustang LOL.

Back