Mustang GTD Mid Engine

I find this GTD to be a strange move forward for Ford. With the new C8, I thought Ford would come out with a mid engined rival at around the same price that isn't a Mustang. Maybe call it a Ford GT Shelby or whatever. They need to take on the C8 and they have the know how to do it.

I find this GTD to be a strange move forward for Ford. With the new C8, I thought Ford would come out with a mid engined rival at around the same price that isn't a Mustang. Maybe call it a Ford GT Shelby or whatever. They need to take on the C8 and they have the know how to do it.
The GT 500 beats that now, this is being built, ultimately to race at lemans.
Ford or anyone else is no longer concerned about typical folks
as was thier mantra for decades, thier whole product line is gone in
by thousands.

I am no expert on LeMans / Datona, IMSA rules but here are some tidbits I read about the GTD Mustang recently.

One of the articles mentioned that Ford started development of this car specifically for the new GTD Pro (gt3) racing series with no real road car being planned. GTD Pro only required 30 units with a percentage of those cars being available to the public. Apparently the goal is to win LeMans.

There are specific rules relation to body shape and style for GTD homologation certification. The shape of the production Mustang is likely closest to these requirements.

It is my understanding that while in the early development of the Mustang GTD race car an exec liked the car so much that they decided it needed to become a road car production with limited numbers, 1000-2000 units is what is consistently seen published.

Chev has gone the other way using the base of a production vette to create a GTD Pro car and don't plan on releasing the actual race version to the public beyond the production requirements of the rules.

From what I have seen/read the Mustang GTD will likely be untouchable by any chev product currently in production. Ford believes this car's only legit competition will be from the European manufacturers.

I think it will be fun to watch this pan out.

It is my understanding that while in the early development of the Mustang GTD race car an exec liked the car so much that they decided it needed to become a road car production with limited numbers, 1000-2000 units is what is consistently seen published.

Not just an exec. The exec!
CEO Jim Farley, a race car driver himself, gave the marching orders for the road car when he saw the GT3 program at about the 15% completion mark.

I think it’s a great story and a great car.
They are going over the Corvette with this.
They are taking straight to Mercedes AMG, Porsche and Aston Martin.
Big boys and veterans of World GT3 racing.

Last edited:
The GT 500 beats that now, this is being built, ultimately to race at lemans.
Ford or anyone else is no longer concerned about typical folks
as was thier mantra for decades, thier whole product line is gone in
by thousand

Not just an exec. The exec!
CEO Jim Farley, a race car driver himself, gave the marching orders for the road car when he saw the GT3 program at about the 15% completion mark.

I think it’s a great story and a great car.
They are going over the Corvette with this.
They are taking straight to Mercedes AMG, Porsche and Aston Martin.
Big boys and veterans of World GT3 racing.

Back