I need new tires! What's everyone running these days?

VE9NOM

a.k.a. Mike
Hi all. My tires barely passed inspection and it was recommended I replace them soon. I current have the Pirelli stock tires 255 40 R19. One model that caught my eye were the Firestone Firehawk Indy 500. Decent reviews and good pricing out there. I was wondering what everyone was running? Any suggestions? Comments? Thanks.

Attachments

• FirehawkJPG.jpg
    FirehawkJPG.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 2
Curious whats pricing like?
I have heard they are good tire.

Another one is Michelin Pilot super sport
lastest version, better performance and longer life.

both I think good choice.

I’m running the Michelin Pilot AS 3 on mine. They have been a great tire and were only $80 more than BF Goodrich for a set of 4 ?

I just noticed the typo, Michelin was $180, $186 to be precise more than BF Goodrich 5 years ago and I’ll need tires next Spring and I will seriously consider the BF Goodrich option cause I like the aggressive tread they offer ?

Last edited:
I had the Firehawks on my 92 some years ago. They were great.

I'm currently running BFGs Sport Comp 2 on my 92. Also had a set on my 87 and recently placed a set on my 94. They're priced similarly to the Firehawks.

Either are a good choice, I just happened to get better deals on the BFGs lately.

I am using Michelin Pilot Super Sports. When they were new they stuck pretty good. Now with age they get a little squeal under protest.
There are two major issues to resolve, price point and what you generally drive like as far as performance. The debate on tires could go on for ever.

Running Nitto 555 and really like them.
Friend of mine had them as well and went with Michelin AS 3 two years ago, now says he misses his Nitto's.
Agree with Thundr that this is a topic of conversation that could go one forever.................but fun to hear what everyone thinks !
Nitto by the way same manufacturer as Toyo.

I am using Michelin Pilot Super Sports. When they were new they stuck pretty good. Now with age they get a little squeal under protest.
There are two major issues to resolve, price point and what you generally drive like as far as performance. The debate on tires could go on for ever.

I got 22000 km out of the rear tires and 28000 km out of the front tires, MPSS as well, others have reported considerably less kilometres out of that model of tire, so mileage definitely varies...... I had no track time on mine.

+1 on the price point, I was around $750 each, all taxes, mounting etc included, and +1 on them being pretty soft and sticky, and definitely a summer, dry weather tire, you have to be fairly conservative in the rain.

Yup, I’m running the same 3+ from Costco as well.
Michelin Pilot AS3+, Second set, get 55-60,000k with regular rotation schedule, minimized the spin schedule and good alignments.
so far have had original Pirelli’s, a used set of Pirelli’s,( they get hard quick but still don’t wear great) a set of Falken’s , wore them out in 20,000 k - car was all over the road , then on to the Michelin’s - Happy with them have heard good things recently on the Firestone but I’ve changed a lot of them failed in my earlier years.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. A lot of great suggestions. I ultimately decided to go with my initial choice of the Firestone Firehawk Indy 500. Decent reviews and stays within my budget. Looking forward to giving them a run! Cheers!
after some running, give us your feedback, might help the next person looking.
Always good to pass along any helpful info to folks here.

New tires 2020.

Just did the tires on the '17 today. Original set were the factory Eagles. By 20,000 noticed the inside edges were wearing down significantly when on the front. 4 wheel alignment at Ford indicated all OK. Rotated front to back every 10 k. By 35 k they were down to the cords showing on the inside edge but the middle and outside were still 7-8 for depth. These tires seemed a bit hard for rubber and when powering up spun a bit. Decided to change the brand and grip. Went with the BF Goodrich Comp/2 sport with about a 350 hardness rating. While the thread was softer and certainly added grip to the road, these again wore out on the inside edges and feathered up long before the main or outside area of the tire was worn. The camber on the car is fixed in the front. Last fall installed a set of camber bolts to give me slightly more offset and hopefully the wearing will be better. After install got an alignment with +0.02 camber (-1.5-0.0 spec) now with OK front toe in and the rest of the care in the green. I know it is out of range but will see how it goes. Seems to handle OK. Trying the cheap fix first. If anyone else has related wear issues would love some tips.

In any event until I get the wearing sorted out, at 58,000 I put on these for under $150.00 each before spending $200+ per tire. Would love the Michelin option but not if the I am leaving half a tire with good tread when replacing them. Will see how the summer goes. Been doing 20 K each year but have a feeling that might not be the case this time as usually there are many NB, PE or even NL trips on the schedule. I see the Gahan House has 5 locations spread out in the Maritimes so could be at least 5 trips when they are open. They seem to have an ale house in the same places I usually visit. How convenient.

Hercules Road Tour 455

Back