Gear Change

SilverGT

Dave and Bev Smith
I will be changing the gears in my 2002 4.6 automatic Mustang GT and it now has 327s and wondering if 373s or 410s would be best.I am not going to race it but want more pick up and don't want to hear it wine at 110 on the highway.I think 373 is enough but am open to 410 gears if highway driving and mpgs will not greatly suffer.

Dave,

Did you actually just say MPG'S suffering after buying a v8 Mustang? Lol.

Install 4.10's and do not look back. Guaranteed you will not regret it. I am glad I went right to 4.10's. Seriously yes Rhe Mpg's took a bit of a hit but the difference it made outweights the loss of Mpg's. You will love them.

Seriously though if You want to see what it does to an automatic GT I will let you try mine before you make your decision and you can decide from there.

4:10's will give you serious pull out of the hole if you do 90% local driving do it.
If you do a fair bit of hwy driving do 3:73"s little less bite from start, more overall balance.

I do a good mix of highway and city driving and have no issues with 4.10's. There are so many opinions out their on the subject it will drive you bonkers. Any of the 2 will be a big difference from stock. Tough decision I know I was there before. Myself I am glad I went 4.10's but like Trevor said if you want to keep your revs down on the highway go 3.73's. Our 4.6's like to Rev a bit anyways. Lol.

I changed the gears and put new clutches in the rear end and that was it. Everything else is stock. We do not drag race our cars and beat on them all the time so there should be no issues there.

02 yellowgt;n16338 said:
I will be changing the gears in my 2002 4.6 automatic Mustang GT and it now has 327s and wondering if 373s or 410s would be best.I am not going to race it but want more pick up and don't want to hear it wine at 110 on the highway.I think 373 is enough but am open to 410 gears if highway driving and mpgs will not greatly suffer.

Just to give you an idea, I have 3.73 and run around 2300 RPM at 115km/h....give or take. 1st gear is almost useless but mine is a 5 speed so that will be a bit different for you.

Except for the occasional PEI trip or the fall run this year most driving is on backroads at 80-90 km/h.I just want a little more kick taking off and passing but don't want jolting or tire spinning off the line that's why I was thinking 373's.I had them in a Ford truck and they seemed quite peppy.Right now I think my v6 Mustang with a tune had better acceleration.The person I bought the car off drove it like an old lady so it could still be carboned up too.As far as the gears go I was thinking Ford racing but I know there are dana,motive and yukon out there too.I have one install quote $350 plus supplies but am still checking around.

I just talked to my mechanic he suggested Ford Racing 373's.I need to find a good installer now.

02 yellowgt;n16346 said:
I just talked to my mechanic he suggested Ford Racing 373's.I need to find a good installer now.

Mine have those. Had mine installed in New Hampshire so I'm no help on where to go

I used ford racing gears, good set up IMO
I used 373's in my 4.6, but I had SC so pull was no issue. :)

Stock axles will be fine, unless you plan on drag racing.

I had the car for a run tonight.When I bought it it was named baby and that's the way they drove it.I switched to higher octane gas and put a tune in it and it seems to be coming around and picking up quicker now.I still want to do the gears but I think carbon has a lot to do with it.

The gears are a night and day difference Dave - I would recommend taking Charlie up on his offer! Try out his 410's and see it for yourself :)

I can't get the Ford Racing ones right now as they are back ordered.I will put some more thought into it and maybe run some seafoam with the fuel and see if I can get the motor a little cleaner.I want to keep it driveable city/highway.Friday it goes in for it's first exterior detail on 15 year old paint.

Back