Ford vs Ferrari the Movie

Hi Lorne, it's been awhile, I hope all is well with you and family.

All good Trevor,site looks good,easier to navigate for an old guy.

gave the Mustang to our Son for his wedding gift in September,haven't driven it all year knowing we were

Jumped the fence and bought a Camaro,had it three days and was stolen from Funeral Home Garage,sigh,hoods,nap sacks,drugs,bad situation around here

You don't have enough hair for a mullet LOL.
Sad when areas get like that. hopefully the son will enjoy.

Just saw it a couple of nights ago. There were some very funny moments, I had tears running I was laughing so hard. I am half thinking of going to see it again.
Did anyone get a poster, I guy from the office went and he gave me his poster.

Saw the movie this pm and also watched Shelby American documentary on Netflix. Puts together a great story on Carrol Shelby!
I agree, even if you know a fair amount about Shelby, you learn some more.
He was not the easiest man, but he did give out the credit to people doing the work.
He spent most of his life brokering deals from 2 sides. Very interesting life.
Incredible race car drive, I knew he raced, but never realized he was that good.

Shelby was a great driver.
Factory driver for Aston Martin.
First American to win LeMans.
His bad heart is what cut his career short, not lack of talent.

I would not describe the Fords as a-holes.
Maybe proud, unwavering, with a touch of arrogance.
Huge enterprises develop culture. Some of it good, some of it maybe not so much.
But some hierarchy and structure is required to run such big enterprises.
Some such culture is even present in public institutions.
On the Ford way or else bit, I can tell you that this country’s national police force has a similar mantra that new members learn from day one.
There are three ways to do things, the right way, the wrong way, and the RCMP way.
Ferrari was not blameless in this affair.
They used Ford to leverage a better deal with an other Italian company.

There is also a new Netflix documentary called the 24 hour war.
Documentary on which the film is based.

Last edited:
Ummm,not sure how a Family owned business can be compared to the RCMP.

I can however speak on behalf of my 4 nephews who are recent graduates in the Force,their two Fathers,and their Grandfather who are nothing like you are accusing them of.

I will also stand up for the two members that I have met through this forum,one retired,the other in the early stage of his career,not deserving of your remarks.

I am not accusing or casting negative judgement on any member of the Force, nor the Force itself.
I did not qualify my statement as a negative reflection.
You sir, are doing that on your own.
I was trying to be objective and balanced because I interpreted the use of the qualifier “a-holes” as being a bit harsh.
I spoke about culture in large, long standing corporations, government institutions.
Whereas one mentioned “The Ford way or else”, I am merely pointing out that type of talk or way of thinking is not unique to Ford.
It is also found in other institutions.
It is not necessarily negative.
The similarities between the two sayings are “the Ford way” and “the RCMP way”.
It can be positive in the sense that it sets the framework for employees to discharge their work or duties while being guided by the institution’s values, goals, mission and raison d’être .

At Depot, the RCMP’s training academy, the saying referring to how things can be done: “The right way, the wrong way or the RCMP way” is imparted on new members to do things the way they are taught to do them and in accordance with the institution’s policies, procedures and guidelines.
It can apply to a number of duties ranging from how clean and ready for inspection one’s dorm is kept to how interviews are structured.
From how drill is performed to how traffic stops are conducted.
It aims to have all employees discharging work in a similar and consistent manner according to the Force’s values, goals, mission and raison d’être, from unit to unit and coast to coast.
It puts in place mechanisms to prevent employees from bringing in different ways of doing things that are not consistent with the organization’s policies and procedures.
Ways of doing things differently say, if one had previous military, municipal or provincial policing backgrounds.
Or a farming background from the prairies versus an urban background from central Canada.
The Force aims to train new members according to their ideal model.
“Forget how you did things before you got here, now we want you to do things the way we teach you”.
It is the mechanism that, after training, allows a member transferring in from BC to integrate seamlessly with a tactical troop in Halifax in a time of crisis.
It is the mechanism that ensures that an investigation of (you inset whatever type here) conducted in the Yukon will be conducted by a different member in a very similar, if not identical, manner in PEI.
This is achieved because the members or employees are discharging their duties in the same manner from coast to coast, the “RCMP way”.

Seen in this light, it can serve as a quality assurance mechanism, and a source of pride for employees.
It is what sets them apart from other police forces, domestic or foreign.
It keeps employees focused on core values, goals, mission and raison d’être.
It can help insulate from outside pressures such as, but not limited to, media, political or popular beliefs.
It serves to keep employees focused and consistent across the board.
A manager can step in the field and integrate with a new member seamlessly because both are doing things the same way despite having learned the techniques at different times, different places or from different instructors.

I too know the two fine gentlemen you have met through this forum, and am very proud to have also served the Force and Canadians.

I can concede that viewed with a critical eye, the saying: “the Ford way or else...” can be negative if one infers a negative connotation to the “or else” part.
Does it mean one would lose their job or that their idea would not get advanced?
There is a huge margin there.

My comment was not meant to associate with that negative connotation, which is open to interpretation.
My comment was to highlight that large corporations or institutions often develop culture over time.
In the discussion here, “the RCMP way” is not a negative.
It is simply what it is.
It is the culture or mechanism for the Force to operate in a consistent and uniform way across the country and allows for rotation of human resources in and out of various units seamlessly because everyone is on the same page of the same playbook, if I can use such a sport analogy.
Or think of it as being closely tied to the fact that the Force is a para-military organization with lots of checks, balances, policies and procedures to ensure everyone is discharging their duties in a consistent manner wherever they may be posted, either geographically or operationally.

I apologize for offending you tonight sir.
I hope you can revisit my comment above and see that I did not expressly or intentionally infer a negative tone.
I merely tried to highlight that a saying such as “the Ford way or else” is not unique to Ford.
Viewed objectively, it could mean that Ford expects its employees to operate as per that company’s values, goals, mission and raison d’être, which would encompass all of its policies and procedures.

I encourage you to discuss the saying with your family members.
They will have their own interpretation or explanation of it, which I believe will not be negative.

Regards

Last edited:
Maybe I should change my wording on the Fords to extremely arrogant. I guess I pulled a Don Cherry.If anyone watched the documentary on the beginning of the Ford empire there was lots of arrogance there too even toward family members.But it is big business as was said.Life goes on.

Maybe I should change my wording on the Fords to extremely arrogant. I guess I pulled a Don Cherry.If anyone watched the documentary on the beginning of the Ford empire there was lots of arrogance there too even toward family members.But it is big business as was said.Life goes on.

If you are interested in some of the Ford history, suggest reading a book called “The Fords”. It paints an interesting factual picture. I particularly liked the bit about Henry Ford’s head of HR, otherwise known as his enforcer..... HR with baseball bats! Trying to avoid unions forming.

I watched the show. I have to say that I was always a fan of Carroll Shelby, and am more impressed with him now. He was a definetly a car guy. Henry Ford II wasn't. He and his merry band of corporate white coller boneheads were all about show and profits. When I see the new electric SUV Mustang, I conclude nothing has changed. A bunch of suits running the company. Carroll Shelby is long gone. The movie was great, and the funny thing about it, I came out of the movie with a lot more respect for the Ferrarri company.

Back