Ford F-150 Chat

Rogue5.0Life!

Question for group.
With the increase in fuel pricing, I am seriously considering purchasing an SCT BDX Tuner for my 2018 F150 2.7 L Twin Turbo. The increase in HP/performance is appealing and what most forums talk about. My question for this group, does anybody know what the fuel consumption improvement would be? My truck is a 2018 Lariat with approx. 132,000 kms. I’m currently averaging low 12’s liter per 100 kms.
When hauling the Travel Trailer (8,500 lbs) it’s running 20-22 Liters per 100 km.

I’m hoping a tune will improve fuel consumption and justify the purchase of the tuner. EE76D152-FC5B-454C-A796-33E5BA8BE6BA.jpeg

Question for group.
With the increase in fuel pricing, I am seriously considering purchasing an SCT BDX Tuner for my 2018 F150 2.7 L Twin Turbo. The increase in HP/performance is appealing and what most forums talk about. My question for this group, does anybody know what the fuel consumption improvement would be? My truck is a 2018 Lariat with approx. 132,000 kms. I’m currently averaging low 12’s liter per 100 kms.
When hauling the Travel Trailer (8,500 lbs) it’s running 20-22 Liters per 100 km.

I’m hoping a tune will improve fuel consumption and justify the purchase of the tuner. View attachment 57914
No experience with the new generation f150s , but when I had my 5.4 FX4, I got the edge evolution and it definitely helped with gas mileage, even while towing.

I know a few who run them on diesel's and work trucks,
if run in power mode, you get power not fuel milage.
but if you run in mormal or eco, you do.
in that case no big gain in HP
like anything how you use will matter.
but the good systems aren't cheap, if installed wrong can cuase problems.
SO make sure done right and do math on projected savings to see
how it takes to recoup cost for installing.

All forums talk HP gain and performance. Of course that’s what all of them are looking for. Don’t get me wrong, when I want to get on it, the power is nice (ie, Mustang and mods this past year). But the F150 is my daily driver and I do accumulate miles. I think I’m going to reach out to SCT and see if they can offer any additional information on fuel consumption gains on the 2.7 Twin Turbo. Thanks for feedback. I always appreciate hearing everybody’s thoughts.

I never use "fuel mileage" and "full size pick up" in the same sentence.

I prefer "smiles per gallon", in which case, with the 6.2L at an average of 16L/100km, my numbers are great !!!

Seriously though, talking about doing the math....

If you drop 1L/100km in consumption, you're going to save 100 L every 10000 km, which is around $200.

So, if you're driving 20000km a year, that's 200L or $400 a year saved .

By comparison, if you're going to Tim Hortons every day for a year and dropping $2 for a coffee, thats $730 a year.

See that ? It's cheaper to drink gas. ;) :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Gerry, yours is not a fair comparison, not fast but big smaile whole trip.
I have work trucks and I need them, I try not to think of fuel costs to much. :rolleyes:
to say they are up this year, unhuh :cry: but cost of doing business.

Cars and trucks I watch it, but not going to stop me from driving it.
At 400 a year, one of those real good tuners for trucks are 800-1200
so take 2-3 years to break even.

My 2020 GMC Denali HD with the 6.6 diesel gets about 12 l/100 km on the highway and about 20 l/100 km towing our 33’ trailer. Towing I set the cruise control to 105 and turn on the exhaust brake and it does 105 up hill and down. It’s a much nicer experience than with my 2013 1500.

I never use "fuel mileage" and "full size pick up" in the same sentence.

I prefer "smiles per gallon", in which case, with the 6.2L at an average of 16L/100km, my numbers are great !!!

Seriously though, talking about doing the math....

If you drop 1L/100km in consumption, you're going to save 100 L every 10000 km, which is around $200.

So, if you're driving 20000km a year, that's 200L or $400 a year saved .

By comparison, if you're going to Tim Hortons every day for a year and dropping $2 for a coffee, thats $730 a year.

See that ? It's cheaper to drink gas. ;) :ROFLMAO:

I’ve always said; if you are worried about fuel mileage, trucks are not the right transportation choice.

I don’t drink coffee, so I guess I’m ahead.

My 2020 3.5 Ecoboost F150 is averaging 13L/100km lifetime so far.
This includes some towing and all winter driving, which includes more idling and worse consumption in hash cold.
I’ve never reset it since new.
Over 30,000 km now.

I’ve always said; if you are worried about fuel mileage, trucks are not the right transportation choice.

I don’t drink coffee, so I guess I’m ahead.

My 2020 3.5 Ecoboost F150 is averaging 13L/100km lifetime so far.
This includes some towing and all winter driving, which includes more idling and worse consumption in hash cold.
I’ve never reset it since new.
Over 30,000 km now.
You don’t buy a truck for fuel mileage, you don’t build a performance mustang for fuel mileage either

12 L per 100 with 2.7 seems a bit high ?
Friend of mine just came down from Ottawa with his 2.7 and averaged 8.5 at 110 kms for whole trip. Around town here he still got under 10 and we got 7.8 yesterday on a trip to Bathurst from Campbellton.
I chipped my 3.5 for towing, a second tune for performance and one for economy. Tuning was done by 5 star tuning out of the states as they were very well reviewed.
Did not see any improvements while towing regarding fuel economy but it showed stronger towing feeling.
Performance tune was a lot of fun as it upped boost from approx. 13lbs to 19lbs so it pulled very strong.
Economy showed approx. an improvement of 1 liter per 100 or at times a bit more but nothing to write grandma about.
Problem is that this caused issues to the way by truck reacted as it would fall in a dead zone between 1st and 2nd gear which was very annoying. And above that while driving at slow speeds in let say a parking lot, it would at times just jump ahead (like a shot of gas was given) so had to be very careful as it was dangerous to hit another vehicle parked close by or such.
Now 5 Star Tuning sent me 3 different tunes attempting to fix all these issues but were not successful.
Truck has been back to stock form many years now and it works fine, just not as peppy ......... I have 6 speed tranny and average 11.5 to 12 so I'm good with that. The new 10 speed is way better in so many ways including fuel economy so you should be closer to 10 per 100 I believe?
No idea what tuning your truck would do but IMO not convinced you'll get the results you are hoping for, and I would definitely stay away from
5 Star Tuning. Take you truck to Pete would be my choice I would think ? Nice set up by the way, Truck,, Stang and house/garage, very nice. ?

As a rule of thumb, I've usually read/heard that the tunes, although all ''promising'' better gas mileage, are often doing nothing to that effect OR are worse due to the fact that you exploit the newfound power.
I understand power is not the main objective, but I personally never been able to not use any new tunes to their full extent here and there ... (speaking Focus ST or the Mustang here, not trucks mind you.).

As a rule of thumb, I've usually read/heard that the tunes, although all ''promising'' better gas mileage, are often doing nothing to that effect OR are worse due to the fact that you exploit the newfound power.
I understand power is not the main objective, but I personally never been able to not use any new tunes to their full extent here and there ... (speaking Focus ST or the Mustang here, not trucks mind you.).
your very right, do the tune, set to economy and break the switch lol
other wise you put it on full power and pound on the pedal with the extra 250 HP :ROFLMAO:
Back here saying great for 2 days, $1200 later and gas milage is worse, but man does it go :)

Back