Expel and ceramic coating

Mike 2021

Sent the car in yesterday to have the other half done with Expel protective self healing clear film and ceramic coating. I had the front half done last year hood, front fenders and rockers. I have started to notice very small chips in the rear fenders were there is no protective film due to the tires kicking up rocks( Dam sticky tires). The dealer is telling me he can buff them out, we’ll see. The coating film that is on the car now held up really well no damage what so ever and very easy to clean, very impressed. Has anyone used this product or similar and if so how has it held up. it is a very expensive process so I hope it’s worth it and it lasts 🤔

Hey Mike,

you should be good for a while with the installed PPF (Paint Protection Film). Good thinking of topping it with a ceramic coating as well, as it helps keep the film clean & as with paint, protects it long term and it also makes it easy to clean (as you experienced already). Although i have not used PFF on my cars, they usually tend to last for a good amount of years. It will be the same for the coating installed on top BUT, coatings are dependent of the elements (rain, sun, dirt, etc.), installation & maintenance.
What coatings won't do is protect against rock chips & other similar paint damages. This is why PPF exists. I've seen (internet) some low mileage cars having old overdue PFF removed +/- 9-10 years, so I would say typical, real & healthy PFF lifespan would probably be around the 3-7 years mark, depending on quality installed. (REMINDER here I don't speak of experience but from observations of the car detailing industry as a whole).

Long story short: you will get a good amount of years from your PFF, see it as an investment on paint protection, well worth it if you want to keep 100% (or close to) rock chips/paint chips at bay.

Hey Mike,

you should be good for a while with the installed PPF (Paint Protection Film). Good thinking of topping it with a ceramic coating as well, as it helps keep the film clean & as with paint, protects it long term and it also makes it easy to clean (as you experienced already). Although i have not used PFF on my cars, they usually tend to last for a good amount of years. It will be the same for the coating installed on top BUT, coatings are dependent of the elements (rain, sun, dirt, etc.), installation & maintenance.
What coatings won't do is protect against rock chips & other similar paint damages. This is why PPF exists. I've seen (internet) some low mileage cars having old overdue PFF removed +/- 9-10 years, so I would say typical, real & healthy PFF lifespan would probably be around the 3-7 years mark, depending on quality installed. (REMINDER here I don't speak of experience but from observations of the car detailing industry as a whole).

Long story short: you will get a good amount of years from your PFF, see it as an investment on paint protection, well worth it if you want to keep 100% (or close to) rock chips/paint chips at bay.
Thanks for the feed back if it lasts some where between 3-7 years this would be great. Cheaper than a paint job. I like the fact that I only have to use a Ceramic booster to maintain the PPF. The biggest thing for me is the road rash so good to hear the PPF will protect for sometime.

Back