E-racing

Ohtobbad

Administrator
Staff member
So with no sports and no racing.
E-racing is the new craze, with even the
pro's getting in on it, F-1 E grid has half a dozen
real f-1 drivers in it.

Nascar is the same. with the pros getting in on the fun.

I used to play some racing games on PS3
but never did online and looks like fun, but
Just how good of a set up would you need to be competitive ?
I seen some of the pro set ups, 30K and up.

Anyone truly understand the gaming world here?
what would it take, if good enough to complete at high level?

I have a pretty decent setup that can play any game at the highest detail settings, and while all of the parts contribute to it, the biggest factor is the video card (GPU). These alone will cost from $350 all the way up to about $1800 for a top of the line card. The card I'm currently working on cost me around $1K at the time.

I'd argue the next most important piece of the puzzle is the input device. On a PC you can play with a keyboard and mouse (BAD for driving), a gaming controller (eg Xbox One controllers work on PC), or a dedicated steering wheel. Of course, you want the wheel. These have a wide range of prices as well, from as little at $75 and the higher end stuff being many hundreds, maybe over a thousand dollars. I have a Logitech G920 which is a pretty popular item. It also has a manual shifter add-on. And they are force-feedback models.

Beyond that, you can look at getting into an ultra-wide curved monitor, or a multi-monitor setup to increase your field of vision (more realistic), and adding an actual racing seat, or a "racing rig" which is basically a metal roll cage of sorts for your office which you attach everything to.

So to have a "really good" racing experience on a PC, I would say it looks something like this:

$2000-2500 - Gaming PC
$450 - Racing Wheel
$300-1500 - monitor(s)
$120 - Good headset
$60+ - Game itself

280199.png

Ok, so that said, lets say you become quite good and you want to enter
the higher levels of say F-1, Nascar or sports car racing, all being different, requiring slightly
different set ups.

Would above be good enough to race with the big boys?

I have a pretty decent setup that can play any game at the highest detail settings, and while all of the parts contribute to it, the biggest factor is the video card (GPU). These alone will cost from $350 all the way up to about $1800 for a top of the line card. The card I'm currently working on cost me around $1K at the time.

I'd argue the next most important piece of the puzzle is the input device. On a PC you can play with a keyboard and mouse (BAD for driving), a gaming controller (eg Xbox One controllers work on PC), or a dedicated steering wheel. Of course, you want the wheel. These have a wide range of prices as well, from as little at $75 and the higher end stuff being many hundreds, maybe over a thousand dollars. I have a Logitech G920 which is a pretty popular item. It also has a manual shifter add-on. And they are force-feedback models.

Beyond that, you can look at getting into an ultra-wide curved monitor, or a multi-monitor setup to increase your field of vision (more realistic), and adding an actual racing seat, or a "racing rig" which is basically a metal roll cage of sorts for your office which you attach everything to.

So to have a "really good" racing experience on a PC, I would say it looks something like this:

$2000-2500 - Gaming PC
$450 - Racing Wheel
$300-1500 - monitor(s)
$120 - Good headset
$60+ - Game itself

View attachment 37782
What exhaust with this? Straight pipe, maybe!

Ok, so that said, lets say you become quite good and you want to enter
the higher levels of say F-1, Nascar or sports car racing, all being different, requiring slightly
different set ups.

Would above be good enough to race with the big boys?

Honestly the setup I posted is good enough to race with anyone. The biggest mental challenge about racing on a computer is to trick your mind into believing you are driving a real car and that you can't crash it. The tendancy is to think it's ok to rub a wall or brake late, etc. So what separates the best from the rest is actually being a good (race) driver and not necessarily how much money you can spend on your computer.

Ok, so I get Tv costs, depending on what a person wants.
wheel, headset $500
PC 2500
what about pedals?
and what does rig like that to attach to cost?

I was never big gamer, but got into some racing games, years back.
with 150 pedals and wheel on F-1 I got good enough to win championship on
expert level with playstation set up.

I presume, xbox or playstation not good enough eh?

So a new place in Dartmouth, Pit lane racing, It is an I racing set and they also have virtual setup, It was a little busy So I got a chance to try the triple screen none motion unit, 15 minutes at Mosport driving a Ford GT, first 5 minutes was ugly to watch, once I got going not bad, by the end I set best lap done on this track :) Then I tried a Mustang FR500 at Daytona road course, different animal and takes some getting use to, I did not set any records, wreck car once had to go to pits to fix :( but great fun, I could see this being very addictive :)

Hopeful I will get a chance to try the full motion one and I am real curious to try F-1 also.
Each is different set up, but a couple very high end units. Of course cost is based on unit you run,
15 minute sessions, $10-25 per session :oops: Like go carts, great fun, not something your doing 5 times a week.
3C422FB7-8DD5-4017-BE15-708E689A8841.jpeg
D0748B4D-C857-4AE5-B637-23AB91C1542B.jpeg992A48D3-67FB-4FC1-A8A7-ED8055A5B33E.jpeg

Last edited:
So a new place in Dartmouth, Pit lane racing, It is an I racing set and they also have virtual setup, It was a little busy So I got a chance to try the triple screen none motion unit, 15 minutes at Mosport driving a Ford GT, first 5 minutes was ugly to watch, once I got going not bad, by the end I set best lap done on this track :) Then I tried a Mustang FR500 at Daytona road course, different animal and takes some getting use to, I did not set any records, wreck car once had to go to pits to fix :( but great fun, I could see this being very addictive :)

Hopeful I will get a chance to try the full motion one and I am real curious to try F-1 also.
Each is different set up, but a couple very high end units. Of course cost is based on unit you run,
15 minute sessions, $10-25 per session :oops: Like go carts, great fun, not something your doing 5 times a week.
View attachment 43328
View attachment 43329View attachment 43330
Now if only i can cross the border to try them out

Back