Competition Cars Track Cars

thundr

Raced this car at AMP for 10 years. Also a few races at Pennfield NB and five years at the Moosehead Grand Prix. The GP was in Halifax streets for three years and followed two years at Shearwater air force base. This small light weight V6 car was classified in GT 2 group. Lots of mods. Always ran street radials. A boat load of fun with lots of late night work too.
This car was a 1972 Ford Capri. These were imported into North America from 1972 through to 1978. A bit of a surprisingly quick car in it's time.

CapriCheckeredflag_zpsc8f89484.jpg

Car #1 reserved for past season champion. :)

CapriShearwater_zpsa3a724f5.jpg

The 1978 red car belongs to a friend who has done an amazing overhaul on this street car.

CapriPeter_zps7f103e1d.jpg

It would've been cool if Ford took advantage back when they had a controlling interest in Mazda to bring back a smaller coupe based on the Miata. Miata chassis + the 2.0 Ecoboost or the 2.3 Ecoboost would make for a fun modern Capri, something like the Toyota FR-S.

Man the Memories. Have enjoyed the pleasure of driving the 78 and racing with, and in, the 72 .
78 was amazingly good, I remember the owner saying, after I took him for a couple laps, I didn't think it could go that fast.
The 72 was like a go kart for handling but you had to drive it like you stole it or hated it to really go fast. Great memories, Thanks Thundr

Fun little car I had back in the day. Built by Jack Canfield and Burt Page. 1982 Dodge Charger/Omni . Built out of two cars. 2.2L High Compression, dual 50mm Weber Carbs, 5spd , lowered, heavy sway bars front and rear. Big brakes in the front off a van I believe. Ran 225/50/15 A008R Yokohama tires which would last about a season or so. Good reliable car which resulted in lots of seat time and a few wins resulting in a few championships. Picture is from the first Moosehead Grand PrixIMG_3909.JPG

helimech;n1563 said:
Fun little car I had back in the day. Built by Jack Canfield and Burt Page. 1982 Dodge Charger/Omni . Built out of two cars. 2.2L High Compression, dual 50mm Weber Carbs, 5spd , lowered, heavy sway bars front and rear. Big brakes in the front off a van I believe. Ran 225/50/15 A008R Yokohama tires which would last about a season or so. Good reliable car which resulted in lots of seat time and a few wins resulting in a few championships. Picture is from the first Moosehead Grand Prix

...and this was my first car (not a competition or track car) a stock 63 hp 1982 omni/charger 2.2...lol
208216_5109409383_54_n.jpg

Last edited:
helimech;n1563 said:
Fun little car I had back in the day. Built by Jack Canfield and Burt Page. 1982 Dodge Charger/Omni . Built out of two cars. 2.2L High Compression, dual 50mm Weber Carbs, 5spd , lowered, heavy sway bars front and rear. Big brakes in the front off a van I believe. Ran 225/50/15 A008R Yokohama tires which would last about a season or so. Good reliable car which resulted in lots of seat time and a few wins resulting in a few championships. Picture is from the first Moosehead Grand Prix

Fun times Helimech, those Moosehead GP were a blast for sure..

Tonight Bill & I are going to classroom session and tomorrow off to AMP for driving instruction.
Bill is taking his beast out, I am taking the wife's escape ( she is away :)

Back