Ceramic Coatings

SVT4MT

Been debating on ceramic coatings, as usual, there's a million different products and methods.

I went back and forth on the Meguiar's system, but decided to pull the trigger on the Sonax Profiline.

Part of the decision was Sonax Canada is based in Oakville, and offered free shipping to Canadian addresses.

Second part of the decision was based on how much I like the Sonax Alcantara Cleaner, as well as the Sonax Wheel Cleaner.

2369410-SONAX_Profiline_CC36_Ceramic_Coating_Kit-768x1117.png

Website also recommended using this Polymer Net Shield in conjunction with the Profiline.

223000-745_Polymer_Net_210ml-800x800.png

I've always been a diehard Zaino guy, but the durability of ceramic has me curious enough to give it a go on the truck.

Just throwing it out there for discussion to see if anyone has experience with the Profiline.

But, also opening the discussion to ceramic coatings in general, what's everyone using to maximize their shine ??

Much like exhaust, wax and coatings are purely subjective, but tips and tricks and things to watch always help.

I had my Mustang done when new before driving it.
it was not done by most and not many choices like now.

I had mine done with Opti coat pro plus,
took guy 3 days with new paint and was quite expensive.
now DIY or even pro jobs are a fraction of the cost.

now there are 100's of choices and many DIY choices.
Mine still protects car, never had a swirl, but does not
protect from chips etc.

Adams seems to be one of best rated DIY kits.
But Profiline is right there and chenical guys also

So IMO use what you like, if Profiline is close and good service
then give them a go and update us on everything
from how it went, ease of use to finish look.

Not sure what I will do when I paint car.
Sometime I swear going old fashion
3-4 coats of buffed carnuba wax would be best
from protection lol

Wax on wax off, good bicep work out too LOL

Much like exhaust, wax and coatings are purely subjective, but tips and tricks and things to watch always help.

Did someone say “exhaust”? ?

Ho, sorry, my bad!
Got carried away there… ?

Looking forward to reading what folks have to say.

I have zero experience whit that stuff, except we provide the service at the dealership on new cars.
And, I drank the Cool Aid too and had it done to the Edge ST in April. ?

Haven’t washed it by hand yet so can’t even comment on any benefits that way.

Mustangs still being done old fashioned way like Trevor said.
Meguiar’s ultimate liquid wax.
Wax on, wax off.

But you should see my biceps. ?

Last edited:
I did the 01 with Elide and we used Cquartz. That was 4 years ago now. I must say it cut the washes down quite a bit and makes quick detailing much easier. The 19 was done when I bought it as I wanted it as turn key as possible. So far it looks to be a de wnt job. Time will tell also.

So many different choices nowadays that’s for sure

Stacey’s in Saint John
Kyle is a pro
i had the front bumper, fenders, hood, rockers and quarters done with expel film wrap and then ceramic coated the car
Carrizzma in Saint John did the job I’ll keep you update on how it last. I only washed the car once and it came out good.
Troy is a pro with the film been at it a long time signs plus had a pro too

Done a bit of research on youtube, application seems pretty easy, cross hatch pattern to apply on small sections, quick flash time and wipe with a microfibre towel and move on.

I'm still trying to figure out how the Polymer Net Shield fits in, I guess you apply the Profiline and then go over it with the Net Shield.

I figure I'll wash it, give it a quick buff for minor paint correction,(not much to do there), then wash again with Dawn to strip off the Zaino.

Then hit it with the Profiline and Net Shield and see what happens, hopefully there's enough product to cover the whole truck.

I presume there will be some more info with the kit when it arrives, stay tuned.

Done a bit of research on youtube, application seems pretty easy, cross hatch pattern to apply on small sections, quick flash time and wipe with a microfibre towel and move on.

I'm still trying to figure out how the Polymer Net Shield fits in, I guess you apply the Profiline and then go over it with the Net Shield.

I figure I'll wash it, give it a quick buff for minor paint correction,(not much to do there), then wash again with Dawn to strip off the Zaino.

Then hit it with the Profiline and Net Shield and see what happens, hopefully there's enough product to cover the whole truck.

I presume there will be some more info with the kit when it arrives, stay tuned.

The Profiline Net Shield is, per their own website, a polymer sealant and not a ceramic product. Usually, companies tend to have a ceramic topper product in their line (Avalon King Ceramic Booster, Xtreme Solutions Topper, CarPro Reload, etc.). These topper agents would be working as a booster for your ceramic coating that you would apply once every 2-3 months.
Here I believe they still intend to have you use the Net shield as their topper, even if it doesn't look like it contains SiO2 technology (ceramics). It may or may not effect the way the water beads by ''hiding'' the true properties of the coating underneath. I do not know the Sonax line whatsoever so take what I say with a grain of salt, they know their products more than I ever could. Rule of thumb is: if you ceramic coated your car, you would top it with a ceramic topper (usually the one from the coating company, but as long as it's made as a topper, good to use on any coating) so you don't hide the hydrophobics & dirt repellency of the coating underneath say, a paste wax.

I've installed a couple of coatings in the past, and maintain a couple of coated cars currently. I'll soon coat the company truck + my girlfriend Crosstrek sometimes this summer. I personnally love to use either P&S Beadmaker or Xtreme Solutions Topper as the topping agent, but randomly switches to use different products as I please as well.

In a nutshell, Net shield would be your topping agent, once every 2-3 months. That's the way I interpret their suggestion. Sorry for the long tangent.

Not a tangent all, thats the kind of info I was looking for, very helpful, thanks !

That makes sense, I noticed Sonax also has a ceramic detail spray that seems more in line with what you're saying, as it supposedly revitalizes existing ceramic coatings.

I'm not shilling for Sonax, I'm just looking to get my head around this.

02684000-740_SONAX_Ceramic_Ultra_Slick_Detailer-768x768.png

Max, I gather you speak of the DIY kits.
I never redone mine and still get beads
and never get swirls also had 7 year warranty
about to run out I think

I expect like anything, there is DIY and now a days
2/3 levels of pro stuff.

Charlie just had his done as part of purchase, but some level of pro
be interesting to know if he has some level of warranty on it?

Max, I gather you speak of the DIY kits.
I never redone mine and still get beads
and never get swirls also had 7 year warranty
about to run out I think

I expect like anything, there is DIY and now a days
2/3 levels of pro stuff.

Charlie just had his done as part of purchase, but some level of pro
be interesting to know if he has some level of warranty on it?
Any coating should have some kind of maintenance done to it pro or not. Don't forget, your car sees minimal rain, minimal mileage a year and certainly no winters. I am certain yours is still going strong with no signs of diminished performance, as not only does it get driven minimally, but it's always upkept (washed regularly) as well. Typically, if you get the warranty pamphlet or documentation from the coating company, it will have some kind of ''for up to XX years'' mentioned along ''when properly maintained'' or a variation thereof. Not a ding to any coating quality, just the truth. Tar/iron deposits still tend to lock themselves on the car (on the coating in this instance).

For example, I've just witnessed a coating fail on a brand new 2022 SUV purchased mid-summer 2021 that was installed through their purchase of the vehicle at the dealer. The SUV have just been washed my myself, and I have installed before the winter one of these ceramic toppers. It still didn't survive the winter but who know what quality of coating have the dealer installed. And when I say failed, it failed. Nothing on it, super slow water sheeting. This being said, some coatings are designed to sheet as oposite to bead, to avoid/minimize water spotting. But that's another topic of it's own.

Nowadays there are DYI coatings that have the claimed performances of 2,5,7 and even 9 years (Adams Graphene coating). Technology in this field have went pretty far, it's good for all of us! :D

Can't believe it's been a month already, but just a follow up.

I'm pretty content with the results on the Profiline system...... looks good and the beading is satisfying.

Now we wait and see the long term durability once spring rolls around and see how it holds up over the winter.

Pretty easy to apply the Profiline, not a lot of effort to remove it once it flashes off, and I found there was plenty to do a full-size truck.

There's even enough that I did the rocker panels, the inside of the doors, and once I get to it, I'll pull the wheels , clean them and do them as well.

I've decided to pass on using the Net Shield on the truck, based on Max's feedback, maybe I'll use it on the car, which still has Zaino.

It took a couple of hours to apply, but it's not really difficult work, you just have to be patient and go panel by panel.

I combined the wash with Dawn and the clay bar step, that saves a little time.

IMG_3600.jpeg

Tuxedo Black has a surprising amount of flake in it....
67789410867__19889C6F-8DD4-4606-9EA3-5300E2073F3C.jpeg

IMG_3613.jpeg

Last edited:
Back