Car show Etiquette!!

2001BlackGTvert

Administrator
Staff member
With the weather the way it is this weekend it is hard to think of Car Show Season, however fingers crossed it will be here sooner than we think. This being said most of us like to attend car shows and have possibly been subject to some of the below car show étiquette issues. Please share your stories so maybe we can learn from them as well. I stole this from Facebook as it is a good read.

My biggest one that I witnessed last year was a mom at the Nationals with her 2 kids. They were going up to every car and putting hands on them so she could take a picture. She stopped once someone went up to her and asked her politely to ask that she not let her kids touch the cars. An adult should know better but sometimes that is not the case.

This is an excellent read!!
.... While most people who attend car shows are kind and considerate, a small percentage are not. They will do things that annoy or insult car owners, belittle their hard work, or even damage their vehicles. No one wants scratches on the car they spent HOURS polishing to a high gloss. The trouble is, most of us have said or done something that qualifies as being rude without realizing it or meaning to. So give the following a look and make sure your not "That person."

Don’t Touch the Cars!
Seriously – don’t touch the cars.
Just don’t do it!
Don’t lean on it.
Don’t reach out and put your hands on it.
Don’t accidentally brush it with your coat or bag as you walk by.
Don’t back into it while you’re trying to take a photo of another car.
Don't rub against it as your trying to squeeze between two cars.
Just don’t do it.
Don't touch unless your naked. Zippers, snaps, buckles, rivets, watches even fingernails can and will scratch paint.
Seriously – don’t touch the cars.

Mind Your Children
Bringing a kid to a car show is wonderful thing, but your kids are your responsibility. They shouldn’t ever touch cars, throw toys that hit cars, sit in cars, sneeze on cars, stick their heads into cars and drip snot on the seats, etc. Don't let them throw dirt, rocks, toys, etc. Some people don't mind if the kid gets in the car but make sure it is okay before your kid climbs on or in a car, most people don't want fingerprints or candy stuck all over their car.

Don’t Talk Trash
You just spotted a terrible show car. It’s sloppy. It’s ugly. It’s not even clean. You roll your eyes, make snide comments, chuckle, tell your buddy what’s wrong with it, and move on. Here’s the thing, someone in the world loves that car like a member of the family. They don’t see the problems, the dirt, or the fact that it’s downright hideous. They see a beautiful machine worthy of endless attention…and they don’t need your disrespect.
The same goes for the newer cars. It doesn't have to be 40+ years old to be beautiful, fast, expensive, have a lot of work into it. Not everyone can afford a show car and a driver or they love their car so much they prefer to drive it all the time.
Unlike some, they made a big effort to come to the show, paid the entry fees, spent their time to do things to their ride, spent hours cleaning and polishing (or maybe not, you rat rod guys know what I mean) and subjected themselves to the public eye. They don’t deserve to hear trash talk…so if you can’t say anything nice, just don’t say anything. Maybe they are just getting started and wanted to show what they have started with or the mods they have done so far. Not everyone has a $200,000+ show car build by so and so. We all start somewhere.

Watch for the Lenses!
Tough to shoot photos when there is always someone in the way
There are always automotive photographers at cars shows, always someone that wants to get a picture of some nice ride. Some are there for fun and some are earning a living, news paper, magazine, etc. Don’t just ignore the photographers because you want a better look. Be polite and look around often and check that you aren’t messing up someone’s shot. Just as importantly, don’t walk into someone else’s shot. This is more true now with the high quality cameras built into phones so pay attention to your surroundings. I see this a lot and deal with it a lot myself, it's not easy getting a clean shot.

Be considerate of others.
If your showing your car, don't crank your stereo. Some people enjoy the music already playing by the DJ or Announcer. They also want to listen to any information, door prize give away, contests, problems etc. that might come across the loud system. If your blaring you bazillion watt stereo, no one can hear it.

Pick up your trash.
Don't just leave your nasty rags, empty cleaner or detail spray bottles, soda cans, water bottle etc. Someone has to clean up after the event, most times it is the person that had to get there two hours before the show to set things up. They are hot, tired and ready to go home too.

Very important, no matter what you think of the other cars, remember that a lot of hard work, blood, sweat and tears have gone into them. Someone has spent their hard earned money, time away from family or with someone special that might not be around anymore. In the end, we all share a passion about cars, we are all the same at the core.

In the end, a little common sense and courtesy goes a long way to helping everyone enjoy the show. Hope to see you there!

I have a few:

Don't bring your Dog to the Car Show, but if you do, bring a bag to pick up his Poop !

Years ago at a Car Show in PEI, I tracked some Ass Hole's Dog's Shit into my Mustang. :mad:

A Friend of mine who owns a 1957 Meteor Rideau 500 once had to tell a Mom to get her kid off his Car as the little Rug Rat wanted to see into the car, so he grabbed onto the top of the door and was trying to hoist himself up by using his feet on the driver's door.

As far as people criticizing a Car at a Car Show, my first question to them would be "what Car did You enter in the Show ?' The likely response would be "none".

And lastly, it is Cow Boys that think every Car Show has a Burn Out Contest on the way out of the Show.

How many You Tube Videos have we seen of the GT500 Tearing out of the show, with Traction Control off, losing control then plowing into people on the sidewalk or opposing traffic.

Cars are subjective, many different styles and types and I believe it's each to their own.
I am not much of a ricer guy, some of those guys are hard core with a lot of work in their cars.
Cudos to them for being a car guy and doing the work. The value of a car means little to me
as someones $4000 car is just as special to them as someone's $50,000 car.
We should see them the same or I do. Treat them all with respect when out and about.
I have a dog and Both wife and I agree. clean up after it, like a kid and keep them away from cars.

There was a Guy I spoke with at the Nationals a few years ago that had a Restored, 1984 Dodge Caravan, perfect paint, nice wheels and a Killer Stereo. I complimented him on his ride, he did all the work and it was special to him. I respect that, and it takes all kinds to make these shows successful. :FordSmile

I've seen it all happen at car shows, at one time or another.
The dogs at shows, as much as I love dogs, are a pet peeve..:p
I'm sure it happens on some occasions, when a person is simply taking his dog for a walk, and happens across a show. Better to take them home and come back later, on your own. Some people with kids, are actually worse, as their kids can do no wrong. They let them do whatever they want, without reprimand, or even uttering a warning, about what not to do. It's like, "hey, you display your car in a public place, so don't blame my kid if he scratches it". Kid's finger prints are a pain, even more so if they have chocolate, or melted ice cream, to add to them, but at least they will wash off. I love the parents who do warn their kids, and those are the kids I often talk to about how much they like cars, and answer their, sometimes hilarious questions..
Some people love to pose with a car for a picture. Usually not an issue... unless the girlfriend is covered in suntan lotion, and wants to lean all over it. Sometimes dangly jewelry is another problem. A bracelet or a watch, can leave a nice little mark..
A buddy of mine actually brings metal stands, and ropes off his Cobra, to keep people away from it. If a admirer has some serious questions about the car, he will invite them "in" to take a closer look..He told me it saves him a lot of frustration, and he enjoys showing it more often. He attends almost all the shows up and down the Island.

A buddy of mine in Riverview relayed this story to me about 6 years ago.
I had an acquaintance in Moncton (Sandy MacPherson), I believe he passed away a few years ago. He had a collection of GTO's - 5 - I believe not all cream puff vehicles, but original and # 3 or low 2 condition. During one of the Atl Nats, a guy with his kid and a male dog happened along, much to Sandy's dismay and distaste the dog pissed on a wheel of one of the cars. The fellow never reacted to or offered a clean up, of which Sandy did himself. I went to Moncton high school the same time as Sandy, football & basketball player, 6' 3, smooth around the ladies etc, and a weekend piss_ant like other guys in that era. A fairly aggressive and nonchalant character, always tuned in for a good time.
Story goes that not long after the show, he & the wifey are at Heinz Rest for a bite and he spots the guy with his companion just starting their meal and casually saunters over and hauls out his wanka_a_doodle and takes a piss in the man's soup and then administers a firm knuckle rap on his head.
I could visualize Sandy awaiting a reaction and the fellow to stand up at which time (no doubt in my mind) a whack to the jaw and knee to the nuts would settle the guy in his seat.

billd;n27982 said:
A buddy of mine in Riverview relayed this story to me about 6 years ago.
I had an acquaintance in Moncton (Sandy MacPherson), I believe he passed away a few years ago. He had a collection of GTO's - 5 - I believe not all cream puff vehicles, but original and # 3 or low 2 condition. During one of the Atl Nats, a guy with his kid and a male dog happened along, much to Sandy's dismay and distaste the dog pissed on a wheel of one of the cars. The fellow never reacted to or offered a clean up, of which Sandy did himself. I went to Moncton high school the same time as Sandy, football & basketball player, 6' 3, smooth around the ladies etc, and a weekend piss_ant like other guys in that era. A fairly aggressive and nonchalant character, always tuned in for a good time.
Story goes that not long after the show, he & the wifey are at Heinz Rest for a bite and he spots the guy with his companion just starting their meal and casually saunters over and hauls out his wanka_a_doodle and takes a piss in the man's soup and then administers a firm knuckle rap on his head.
I could visualize Sandy awaiting a reaction and the fellow to stand up at which time (no doubt in my mind) a whack to the jaw and knee to the nuts would settle the guy in his seat.

Poetic Justice. :FordSmile

Good thread. Good read from facebook.
I must say the Mustang owners seem to have better manners.
I say this because I've been attending Mustang shows for several years with no issues.
My story, and worse incident, happened at last year's Atl. Nationals in the corral on Saturday.
I got there after lunch after driving down that morning.
As soon as I parked, a 2008 Bullitt owner came over to look at my car and talk since our rides are same generation.
Some wanker followed him or arrived at the same time.
As the Bullitt owner and I talked, I opened the hood to answer a few questions to the Bullitt owner.
While listening to us, the wanker proceeded to lean on my car.
Yup! Hip right on the fender looking in the engine bay, as if the car was his to do with as he pleased...
I couldn't believe it. Initially, I thought he was with the Bullitt owner.
I wanted to choke him out.
Instead I matter of factly told him to get off the car. To not do that. That it was a lack of respect.
The guy looked surprised as he locked eyes with the Bullitt owner.
The Bullit owner backed me up by repeating pretty much the same.
The guy quietly disappeared. I concluded he was not with the Bullitt owner.
My faith was restored in Mustang owners.
I'm not attending the Nationals again with my car.
Too big of a show. Too many things can go wrong. Too many idiots around.
I'm going to stick to Mustang or Ford only shows and track days.
Smaller groups. Less chance of something going wrong.

No shortage of stupid in todays world does not happen.
Peoples pure lack of respect period for anything or anybody,
Makes it worse when they pay money, they feel they have rights.

Last year at small show, kid throws a rock in air and it hits 70 Challenger
that was 100% original, cud's for to the guy for not ending up in jail.

Back