Car Cruise meet up.

AC Bill

BC Day long weekend has been long celebrated by a Show and Shine at Parksville Beach for ..get this..the last 42 years. I image it was just a summer weekend show, prior to somebody inventing BC Day, to throw a long weekend into the middle of summer. Nice of them to do that,whoever it was..lol

Anyways, before the big show, there has been a gathering of cars the night before, who all get together at the local A&W drive-in. At 7 pm everybody gets the "Start your Engines" signal, and leave together to go on about a 20 km cruise. The cruise route is published in the local paper, so all along the way there are spectators gathered, usually sitting in lawn chairs, many quaffing suds or sipping wine. Some have actually pulled picnic tables and BBQ's out to the curbside, and are partying hardy with friends and neighbors. I don't know if it's more entertaining for the guys driving their cars ,watching the antics of the spectators, or the spectators watching the cars going by.
Along the way there are several spots at stop signs, where a crowd of 40 or more have gathered, many of them holding up signs that say. "Burnout Zone". Obvious by the large amounts of black rubber left at the intersections, some drivers feel they just have to comply..Of course the fellows driving antiques and classics, tend to just wave and laugh, saving their tires. I have complied a couple of times, but I have seen a few fellows get nabbed by the RCMP who will occasionally hide, laying in wait down the street.. Kind of a shame really that they do that, as it's basically harmless fun. I suppose there is the odd chance a guy might lose it, and end up in the crowd..Usually when I am egged on to, let er rip, I just yell out to them, " I can't ,because there is women and children present". That usually always gets a good laugh, and I don't have to worry about a smokey jumping out and ticketing me.
The battery's went dead in my camera, so i only managed a couple pictures of some of the 150+ cars.that gathered prior to the cruise.
100_1686.JPG 100_1687.JPG 100_1688.JPG

I did get a Sony Action Cam video camera from my Wife for Christmas. Apparently it has better stabilization then a GoPro, which is good if your filming while driving.
I have to hook up a selfie stick or something to go onto my roll bar, to be able to mount the camera to. Not quite sure how I will do that yet, maybe with some long zip ties..? I or a passenger can control the on/off of the camera from a wrist band controller, that also has a small monitoring screen. The camera itself has no screen, or playback ability, which seems kind of weird. I guess it keeps it light weight.

go pro is the same, if you don't run it off of a phone, you really don't know where its pointed.
I think the cam you got is better and less money.
I am sure after building your car you can design a mount for it :)

Parksville! Cool. And to think I was almost there this past weekend for my wife's 30 year high school reunion in Comox.
We cancelled last minute because she could not get time off.
Now we're re-using the tickets to go at Thanksgiving.
I'll keep this show in mind for coming years.
NB has a NB day on the same weekend as BC day.
It would be an extra reason to visit the in-laws at that time.

67 AGAIN;n6785 said:
Parksville! Cool. And to think I was almost there this past weekend for my wife's 30 year high school reunion in Comox.
I'll keep this show in mind for coming years. It would be an extra reason to visit the in-laws at that time.

Come the weekend before and take in the Comox car club show too. They always get a great turnout. It's always the weekend before the Parksville show.
final-poster.jpg

Thanks a lot Bill. Will definitely keep this in mind. Have had ties to the Valley for nearly 30 years and did not know about this.
Then again, my in-laws are not car people. To them a car is a tool to get groceries or kayaks to and from the water.
Never dawned on me to check internet or classifieds when I'm there visiting.
I gather you are in the Valley.
It looks like I'll be visiting at thanksgiving. I'll PM you as it gets closer.

Back