Batteries vs Pistons

pei_guy

Staff member
Not a sports topic!!
Got into a discussion recently on electric cars vs internal combustion. Clean vs dirty fuel, $8 charge vs $50 fill up, torque, 0-60 times and the like. Don't know if we'll ever see Ford design an electric mustang but as a hobby car...there's no replacement for displacement!! Anybody test drive a Tesla or see the Roadster? What do you all think??

I am sure we will see full blown electric cars in not to distance future.
But for most car guys it goes beyond just power. The sound, torq, they feel
the pure smell of it all. I am sure a day will come, cars will drive us,
I hope its a long time from now.

The electric car is a high torque machine no doubt about that. Not going to go too far when you have a big HP electric car. It will likely need a gas engine somewhere in the mix.
I don't think a $8 dollar charge will get you as far as a $50 fill, unless you are travelling at 20 Km/hr. Only guessing at that though. I am sure there are lots of comparisons out there.
Don't get me wrong, I think they have there place, but not for good reason. I am sure there are lots of people who think they are clean source of transpiration, and they are clean no doubt. But where does the power for the charge come from, a dirty old coal burning plant? When we can afford to go to other cleaner sources of power, then maybe it starts to become cleaner.

Elon Musk might be on the verge of revolutionizing energy storage and advancing electric cars past the Chevy Volt but catching up in territory that's scarcely populated with climate conditions like we experience....it seems pretty far off to see one plugged in in every driveway for a long time. Reliance on fossil fuels and the final word on carbon pricing affecting economies will be debated well into the future.

All I know is that the Suckers who put a Deposit on the New More reasonably priced Tesla, 2 or more years ago, were promised a mid 2019 Delivery. Only Problem they are way behind in production.

Nothing wrong with some of the Hybrids, 70 MPG City, yet you can drive 1,000 miles whenever you want.

Back