Barn Finds

[h=1]Ready To Roll: 1978 Dodge Lil’ Red Express[/h]
express-truck-e1455660079789-630x355.jpg

In the late 1970’s, car manufacturers were wrestling with technology to reduce emissions and improve gas mileage. Horsepower was on the decline across the board, and as a result, performance was generally less than stellar. But because emissions regulations did not then apply to light duty trucks, Dodge was able to build a very special performance truck they called the Lil’ Red Express. This truck featured a 360 cid engine and no catalytic converters.

lil-red-truck-e1455660133921-630x379.jpg

According to the Dodge Connection website, the Lil’ Red Express was the fastest American made vehicle going from zero to 100 mph that year. It featured a 4-barrel carburetor on a modified version of Dodge’s police engine (E58), producing 225 net horsepower @ 3800 rpm. The performance package included a special 727 automatic transmission and 3.55:1 differential gearing, exhausting through hemi style mufflers and a crossover pipe, exiting through two chrome stacks mounted upright behind the cab.
lil-red-630x423.jpg
Photo from Allpar.com of Chuck Alaniz’s 1979 Lil’ Red Express All 1978 Lil’ Red Express trucks rode on GR60x15 raised white letter tires on special seven inch wide chrome wheels in front and eight inch wheels with LR60x15 tires in the rear. These trucks were built only in 1978 and 1979 and in relatively small numbers (2188 units in 1978) and because most of them were driven hard and put away wet, there are not many survivors in decent condition, so this original looking example for sale here on craigslist in Tucson, Arizona for a very reasonable $7,500 should be an attractive buy for someone.
00x0x_dOK3zJS2CPC_600x450.jpg

Unfortunately, the seller only provides one picture of his truck, and while it is a good photo, and suggests this truck has its original paint, there are many questions to be answered for any prospective buyer. The seller says the truck sports new tires, exhaust, new wood in the truck bed along with a new radio and speakers. I’d want to know how many miles are on the truck, what’s the condition of the interior, is there any rust not showing, was it repainted, and how many miles are on this vehicle. And I’d certainly want to take it for a ride – but that would be for fun whether I bought it or not.

Filed Under: For Sale Tagged With: American, Dodge, Survivors, Trucks

If I ever retire ( on freedom 90 plan)
I would love to restore something like that.
I also have a real thing for the 66 ford F100
I know not the most popular, but really like the look
of the short box, fleet side
. images?q=tbn:ANd9GcStwyeMtYeWSXWkrtoRAY2Q1IdoWThQutrENEGPvDEkZPxbMvpaOw.jpeg
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRbixMq8uix8RTxVXHi29VMpsG7POR-ws4fp0zeheZVN66ZcnfJHA.jpeg
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSvZqXxRfHPdz_mHGvQqtnzUKmwQxk2-nQ6nKc2CotgVHvJHQuT.jpeg
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSV50KX9sQmd7OD4lrHolTzRlgqfq92_DU9mcThL7x-sQ-TNHJA.jpeg

[h=1]Ready for Cruise Night: 1971 Buick Riviera[/h] image: http://barnfinds.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/riviera1-e1456287346112-630x409.jpg
Among other styling qualities, the Buick Riviera was perhaps most well known for its “boat-tail” rear end design. But really, taken as a whole, the entire car is quite striking – and I’m always surprised they don’t sell for more money. Take this barn-find 1971 example here on eBay: it’s listed for $14,500 or best offer, which seems like a fair price for a nearly rust-free and running, driving example of a well-loved American classic. The earlier cars are considered more desirable by some, but are also more expensive. Which one would you choose?
image: http://barnfinds.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/riviera3-e1456287365584-630x400.jpg
The interior remains in great condition despite the Riv’s prolonged storage. It’s easy to envision stretching out behind the wheel for lots of comfortable, well-padded miles, cruising to the beach or simply down to the boulevard for a meet. Although Rivieras are often modified with modern wheels and sometimes air suspension, I think they’re quite stunning as-is. The seller doesn’t mention it, but I’d have to assume the power features are working since it doesn’t look hacked apart inside.
image: http://barnfinds.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/riviera4-e1456287384462-630x402.jpg
The 455 engine was sadly on a downward trajectory power-wise thanks to changing EPA requirements. It still made a respectable 255 b.h.p., but for a car this large, 300 horses would seem like the lowest number you’d want at your disposal. If you opted for the slightly more powerful GS package, the Riviera would still hit 60 in 8.1 seconds – so figure this example may be a step or two behind.
image: http://barnfinds.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/riviera2-e1456287436921-630x385.jpg
If the seller’s description is true (and his solid eBay feedback is reassuring), then this Riviera just has some minor cosmetic needs, like a badge missing and the chrome needing to be polished. There’s some minor paint chipping and a rust spot at the bottom of the left front fender. Other than that, this seems like a turnkey classic you can enjoy immediately. Is this one to buy, or are you better off increasing your budget to own one of the more desirable early models?

Filed Under: For Sale Tagged With: American, Buick, Projects

Read more at http://barnfinds.com/strong-455-1971-buick-riviera/#sePX2H6qKzkw7xU4.99

Back