Air conditioning question.

2001BlackGTvert

Administrator
Staff member
Hey guys,

so it has been hot and humid the last couple of days and we noticed something when out driving around with air conditioning on with the top up and down doesn’t matter. The box under the passenger side dash is sweating like crazy and dropping droplets of water on the floor. It is clearly water but we have never noticed this in the years we have had the car. Anyone else seeing this on their car? Air works excellent so I believe it may just Condensation but I find it strange we have never seen it before.4A85F2AA-DDAE-4269-AEA7-E51AD526BCB8.jpeg

Just a Guess but i think it's just due to the extra humidity..if your car had a cabin air filter id say replace it as it can cause some restricted flow and add to the inside condensation..
Yeah it must be the humidity. Just strange we never noticed it since we have had the car 13 years.
yeah our model years do not have a cabin air filter either.

Make sure the drain is clear on the outside
I know when I shut the car off last night I could hear it dripping on the exhaust like it always does after I run it and park it after using the air. Then I went out an hour or so after and there was water running to the drain again completely normal. So the drain appears to be working but it may be clogged a bit.

I spoke to Elide late last evening. His is a 2000 and he says his did the same thing once last year when we were out for a run. It was so hot they had put up the top and it had started dripping on his wife’s feet.

Last edited:
Because sometimes it's just too hot and you still want to have the top down so you put the air on to help. Plenty of people do it and I have never heard of any issues. I know it would be easier to put the top up but you do not get the effect of why we got a convertible in the first place. Air is still as ice cold as it was when I got it 13 years ago. So any il effects on the system itself I have not seen.

I am with Gerry on the drain line. I think there is a spray in cleaner that may clean things up. Over time with debris and water it's an ideal spot for stuff to make a mess.
Start simple, taking an air box out is a massive job. Took one out of my turbo coupe, it was a 7hr removal.

I am with Gerry on the drain line. I think there is a spray in cleaner that may clean things up. Over time with debris and water it's an ideal spot for stuff to make a mess.
Start simple, taking an air box out is a massive job. Took one out of my turbo coupe, it was a 7hr removal.
OK I will look into the cleaner and see how that works. I know I helped replace a heater core in one of these before and it wasn't the most exciting job I have been involved in. Lol.

Because sometimes it's just too hot and you still want to have the top down so you put the air on to help. Plenty of people do it and I have never heard of any issues. I know it would be easier to put the top up but you do not get the effect of why we got a convertible in the first place. Air is still as ice cold as it was when I got it 13 years ago. So any il effects on the system itself I have not seen.

I AC is still working after 13 yearsI guess it was designed to perform in all situations ?

Condensation is probably the cause but like said above check the drain.

Ran into similar situation with RV a few weeks back where I walked in and water was dripping from all the vents in the ceiling. Did lots of reading about it and found out that if humidity and hot weather situations are just right this will occur and nothing wrong with system. One even made reference to this possibly happening in vehicles as well so this could be what's taking place in your case too ??

Now if your car was 2005-2006 I would tell you to check the grommet on the passenger side of firewall as they are known to leak from there causing major rusting in floor pan and screwing up computer in kick panel buy I don't think your model year had such issues ??

Condensation is probably the cause but like said above check the drain.

Ran into similar situation with RV a few weeks back where I walked in and water was dripping from all the vents in the ceiling. Did lots of reading about it and found out that if humidity and hot weather situations are just right this will occur and nothing wrong with system. One even made reference to this possibly happening in vehicles as well so this could be what's taking place in your case too ??

Now if your car was 2005-2006 I would tell you to check the grommet on the passenger side of firewall as they are known to leak from there causing major rusting in floor pan and screwing up computer in kick panel buy I don't think your model year had such issues ??
Thanks Roger. Yes I read that on line as well about the trailers. I am thinking it is just condensation as well but I want to be sure. No known issues like you describe in our model years so that should be good.

there should be a fairly steady drip outside the car once the ac is working - the cooling of the air caused the moisture to condense and run off the core. normally it drips off outside
If the water builds up the cold transfers to the inside components and then the start to sweat
I will check out the drip to see what I see. I know when it hits the exhaust it is pretty constant but I will get under and check. Thanks alot for the info.

Back