2019 NH Spring Dyno Run

Mineral Grey;n31016 said:
Just had the factory sct tune on it for the last few years . I didn't notice a lot of extra power , but but it's nicer to drive as it's not so touchy, would always jerk when peddle was touched before..
after seeing and hearing Aaron's I'm definitely going with longtubes and throttle body, Pete also told me to upgrade my K/N CAI as it's too restrictive for there cars . Will see if I can get some higher numbers next year..

JLT makes a good one, intake Pipe is Straight and 4:" in diameter on the one that fits new Edge Stangs.

Driveability is what you want. Still good numbers though...
Those three valve cars are at about 250 to 255 rwhp out of the box. 250 more for the autos and 255 for the manuals.
So you're about +50 over stock. But your torque number is more impressive as they are not known for torque down low.
As you progress with LT's or cams, your torque numbers will fall compared to your hp as you will lose back pressure.
That's when you start thinking about more aggressive gears.

The JLT Series III is the CAI you want.
C&L Racer or Airaid also not bad but JLT still in front.
Trivia: Airaid are the sub-contractor who make Roush's intake.

The air volume of the JLT will help maximize your return on investment if you get a throttle body.
LT's will give you way more return on investment than a TB. Like 3 to 5 times more.
I did LT's with Hot Rod cams already in so I have before and after numbers, with stock TB.
With the cams in, the LT's gave me +22 rwhp return.
If you keep stock cams, it will be less but I'm guessing at least 15+.
By comparison, a TB is in the order of 3 to 5hp.
Think of the TB as a piece of jewellery for the engine as well as performance improvement.
Maybe makes it easier to justify.

But for the price of the FP TB, which is not cheap, you'd do better with the Hot Rod cams for not much more money.
Ok, more if you count install, but not much more for parts only.
Hot Rod cams alone made+18 rwhp. Cams and LT's combined made +40.
TB can't come close to that.
When I did this all initially, it was with a C&L street CAI.
I thought I was pretty maxed out in the range of 325 - 330 rwhp.

Then I did the JLT series III and got another dozen + rwhp.
That's how good the JLT is.
I'm sure the JLT maximized the FP TB that was in place.

Another way to put it, I would suggest, is if you don't get a JLT then don't bother with a TB.
Because without the JLT, your TB won't be the choke point, your CAI will be.

You can PM me with any questions. I'll be glad to share my experiences.

Last edited:
To be honest if your talking car stuff, please do it on the open forum.
Many people now and in the future can benefit from what anyone does to
a car. Sometimes its trials and tribulations and different forms of success.
But it builds a data base that all members, current and future ones who can search info.
It's a valuable resource for the forum.

Al, I checked my dyno sheets. I remembered gaining more than just 12 hp going up to the JLT.
The gains were in fact more than 12.
When I upgraded to the JLT series III CAI, I went up to it from a C&L street CAI.
I also did charge motion delete plates at the same time, so I can't isolate the gains to just the JLT.
Anyways, Just those two items, CMDPs and JLT series III CAI netted just shy of 10 hp on the initial tune.
A decent gain on its own.
But I went back the following year and we massaged the tune again and that was good for another 10+ hp.
So the total gains from upgrading to the JLT and CMDPs was just shy of 20 hp.
I did have supporting hardware in the form of Hot Rod cams, LTs and the FR throttle body.
I think it supports the argument that the JLT is worth getting.

Trevor, what do you mean "the open forum"?
Isn't this the form?
Every member can read this thread.
An issue came up here and we discuss it. No?

2001BlackGTvert;n31049 said:
So how was the run? Was the coastal run roads good? Did you guys hit any bad weather? I see some rain on a mirror on one of the pictures.

Saint john had some drizzle but drove out if it before we hit the boarder, and got nice and warm for the drive down, I believe it was around 20c when we got to Pete's. Same on Saturday, was warm and dry all day. Sunday was nice but had over cast with a low ceiling and we hit some fog up to Calais, and cooled down to about 14, stayed over cast back to saint john .. I enjoy the #1 and #1a drive through the towns and beaches. The roads were great as always down there , the only one that needed some attention that I remember is when the #1 joins the #295 through Portland..

That's pretty good considering the monsoons they have had in the past years.

The US does a very good job at up keeping their roads. By the time our roads are fixed winter comes around and ruins them again. That coastal route along the #1 is a nice road. I have not done it in about 15 years so I may give that a whirl soon.

Thanks for the info I am sure the Stang's enjoyed the route.

It seems every year we run into rain on that run lol. Think it was 2 years ago it rained so hard you could hardly see two feet in front of you. Last year some rain as well but not nearly as bad. Almost impossible to get that run in without seeing any it seems lol.

Keep the info. coming Marc, I'm running same powertrain as you and Al so all this stuff is really interesting to me !! I am also entertaining the idea of doing a few things to the Stang but not sure as one of those 5.0's is also very tempting (ah $$$ either way I guess plus that U.S. conversion :mad:). Only question is do I keep what I have now or trade later on ?? Will see ??

That US route 1 is a real nice run and especially when you have time to hit the 1A as it does take you into some nice small communities, agree with you Charlie that it would be a fun run to do again, enjoyed every bit of it.

The run weather wise was one of the better one's, Like Al said just enough rain through St John
to make the cars a mess. Otherwise it was quite nice run down to Pete's. Traffic seemed a bit busier than
normal going down Friday. Pete gave us directions to a great touch-less car wash 5 minutes from his shop.
We all went through it and get heavy crap and bugs off. Hotel was nicer one than most over last few years.
Restaurant was good. ^ of us took uber ( my first uber experience) to restaurant and back.
Good food, few beers lots of laughs.

Sat started off trip to NH liquor store :) then off to the coast and Kennabunkport Beach.
Beautiful spot, sure I couldn't afford the backyard sheds there LOL.
The run up the coast is always cool, small towns and small town USA is normally quite clean and looks good.
Also roads for most part very well kept.

We had lunch in Old orchard beach, cool seaside resort town, built for average folks
See the ocean from the pub we ate at ( actually spent a week there once many moons ago,

Bangor Hotel decent not as Nice as one in Manchester, guys were tired of Pub food Whoda thunk it :)
Ordered in Phils favorite pizza and few beers hung in room and talk cars, were getting old LOL

Sunday head home back up airport route and not bad drive, no issues at the Boarder
unlike way down, Al was doing much better after search upon entry :)

I hit rain in Amherst on way home other wise best weather weekend we every had.
Maybe week or two later this year helps.

Last edited:
The dyno run weekend has always been a bit fast and furious, to cover that much distance in
three days makes it a quick 3 day weekend, I guess Ideal would be 4 days.

We used to leave Friday morning from Halifax picking people up along the way and land in Manchester or Concord
7-8 on Friday night, spending the Sat morning at dyno shop, depending on amount of cars into the afternoon.
hang around the area checking out local attractions and another fast / long run home Sunday, getting home 8-9 pm

Few years ago we switched around and Leave Moncton at 7am making a quick run down, with very short stops
Landing at Pete's 3-3:30 pm, do the dyno's and head to Hotel around 7 and do supper, tired bunch around 11pm

But made Sat a relaxing cruise along the coast and through small towns a lot of fun, taking most of day to
get to Bangor, nice supper relaxing day. Big plus was Sunday morning not as long of a run home.
We left 7;30 am and with time change and stops, still home by 4 pm much nicer.

Anyone who has not done it should consider it, I go for the run only ( no Dyno) last 3 years and always a fun run.
Few issues the odd year but we always manage and 98% enjoy it and try to go any year they can.

As with all things time and money for most is the biggest challenge :)
I will load couple pics I have this weekend.

Mineral Grey;n31072 said:
I didn't mention that for a reason . . lol.. I also won't mention even though I was detained for a bit , we still had to wait for someone that had a stalled stang that wouldn't start ..
oops, I guess I did mention it ..:FordSmile

I guess I'm going to have to jump to my own defense, which is never a good thing! A boost from Gerry and Glenn's technical know how found a loose battery cable and the tools to fix it. No harm, or delay while the full body cavity searches were being conducted by CBP on Al & Doug.....

Was a great run and all the recommendations on Pete's expertise tuning Mustangs was bang on. A bit of an ego bruise when you pull in the shop & the first thing he says is that your car sounds like crap and the throttle body you have on is crap. But after the tweaks to the tune and the results of the second pull were well worth it from the first test drive.

The run was no sunday drive but a great group of guys to run with. Alot of laughs and ribbing to go around! Already looking forward to next year.

Back