1994 Mustang GT Coupe

Today was much warmer outside, so I decided to tackle one of my biggest pet peeves about the car: the painted cowl grille. Luckily I was able to secure an OEM one in Moncton shortly after buying the car and got it shipped with it.

1st, raise your wipers arm and unclip them, pushing the small tab towards the windshield and lifting them straight up.
IMG_20200430_142059.jpg

Then pop your hood and remove the firewall to hood rubber gasket. It's only held to a pinch weld by a J-channel running along its entire lenght. Remove the 3 plastic screws underneath it.
IMG_20200430_142721.jpg

Next, carefully pry each end of the cowl grille from underneath the base of the A-pillars. Locate the one the 6 clips along the windshield and slightly pull up to unclip them. Unplug the 90 degree fitting underneath the driver side washer fluid nozzle.
IMG_20200430_143912.jpg

Transfer the metal clips and hardware from your old grille to the new one if it wasn't included. Thankfully, the washer fluid piping had been left on mine so I only had to transfer a few missing clips.
IMG_20200430_143923.jpg

Place the new grille back in place, making sure to align the wiper studs properly through the holes. Before clipping it in place, reconnect the 90 degree washer fluid connection.
IMG_20200430_144112.jpg

Once all the clips are secured and both ends are pried underneath the base of the A-pillar, go back under the hood and re-install the plastic screws.
IMG_20200430_144438.jpg

Re-install the firewall to hood rubber gasket.
IMG_20200430_145332.jpg

Re-install your wiper arms. Make sure the blades are parallels to the base of the windshield.
IMG_20200430_145650.jpg

Wipe everything down to remove your greasy hand prints and admire.
IMG_20200430_145819.jpg

Next will be removing the painted mirrors. I may have located a set locally as a friend had purchased a wrecked 95 GT last year to use the powertrain in his 48 F1.

I also have a set of replica OEM-style headlights on the way. I went with the Cobra-specific crystal lenses.

Moving inside, next up was the upholstery. Was the car was generally clean for its age, there was a faint smell of burnt marihuana lingering inside, which was a bit awkward.

Using a Hoover extractor, I first did all the seats with a diluted solution of pet odour remover I had at home. I then went over all the seats again with a proper car upholstery shampoo.

What I started with. Not bad, but some discoloration can be seen on the high-contact area of the seats.
IMG_20200430_161622.jpg

This picture says it all. The upper half of the backrest had been clean. See the difference in colour compared to the lower half, especially the side bolster?
IMG_20200430_171453.jpg

Coming along.
IMG_20200430_182806.jpg

Much better. The slight colour variation in the fabric is due to still being damp.
IMG_20200430_182816.jpg

All in all, I emptied 3 containers of dark brown used water PER FRONT SEAT. The rear seat, as expected, only took half a tank of water and it came out a light beige, as it was obviously not used as much as the front seats over the last 26 years.

Tomorrow I'll move on to the headliner and carpet.

Changing the cowl grill was a nice upgrade, it was one of the first things I replaced on mine when I got it, along with the wiper arms. CDN $ was still at par and those parts were dirt cheap ordering cross border and picking up in Calais. But those days are long gone (Dollar at Par) ?

So I finally managed to get the car home in Arichat yesterday. Thanks Charlie for the help!

I started by giving it a good bath due to the beautiful spring weather we had. A foam gun on a pressure washer works wonders.

View attachment 37872
View attachment 37873
View attachment 37874

The sun came out as I finished drying it.
View attachment 37875

Max it was my pleasure to give you a helping hand getting it across the border. Glad you are enjoying it. It is looking awesome.

Not much done to the Mustang in the last few day. The weather's been cold and miserable.

I dealt with some electrical issues, which turned out to be solved by new battery terminals. The factory one were all corroded and mangled.

I also started cleaning the under carriage. Got the gas tank cover all cleaned up and coated in plastic coating. It looks much better.

I also scored a Canadian market 1994 brochure as well as an owner's manual on Ebay. I also scored a set of Ford OEM headlights which I'll try to restore.

Back