Whipple owners speak up

Someone like Mike 2021 can speak directly about the Whipple SC.

But I would like to comment on gasoline in our area. NB specifically.

I would not describe our 91 octane fuel as lower quality. I would instead say on our 91 octane gas, period.

The basic difference is that we don’t have, like Ontario, 93 octane or Ultra 94.
That would be superior fuel, but in our busy National branded stations, the 91 that we do have can be excellent.

Reason is that our 91 gets used and turned over a lot, ensuring a constant fresh supply.
On the other hand, in Ontario where they have the choice of using 93 and Ultra 94, on the whole, there is a higher risk that their 91 supply is not as fresh.
Because there, high performance cars and their drivers use the 93 or 94 over the 91.

I have tested this theory.
When I have driven my cars to Ontario to get work done and fuelled up along the way, I get mixed results or it takes more time to tune and the tunes are not maximized.

But when I trailer my cars with a fresh full tank of Shell 91 octane from home, the tuning is easier, quicker to do and nets the best 91 octane results possible.

Case in point, last time I took my ‘06 to get tuned after major engine work, I trailered with a full load of my local fresh 91 fuel in the tank.
Once the 91 octane tuning was done and laying down good numbers, the tuner asked me if I was curious to compare to a 93 tune.
We added race fuel octane boost, which he assured me was safe and they did all the time on their race cars.

Then he dumped a 93 tune in my car and ran a pull. The net result was only 2 extra hp.
He was quite surprised and asked me what I had in the tank.
I told him I had Shell 91 octane from my home town.
He told me to keep using it and that with those numbers, that I had very good gas and it was not worth it for me to consider a 93 tune. To just keep using what I was using.

The tuning in question was all done at Dasilva Racing in Pickering.
The tuner is Mat Dasilva, Joe’s son.

My suggestion if you take your car away like that to get tuned or worked on, bring with you at least one but preferably two jerry cans of your preferred gas that you use most often and they will use that to tune your car instead of local gas from up there.

Because we don’t have 93 in the maritimes, they can’t give you a 93 tune which could harm your car.
So they must tune it with 91 in n the tank.
For that you want them to use our 91 instead of theirs for the reasons outlined above.

Best of success with your plans.

Actually busy stations should have fresh of all grades.

One particular time driving to Pickering, I gassed up at a Flying J (Shell) truck stop in Port Hope because I wanted to avoid traffic further in the city, like from Bowmanville on.
That time they had a hard time tuning my car.
They said I had bad gas.
After that I either brought jerry cans or trailered.
Never had trouble again.

Maybe the 91 at that Flying J was not getting as much use as say, the three gas stations all across from each-other at the Bowmanville exit to get to Mosport where everyone heading to the track all top up their tanks.

Stuff like that. Some stations get more demand for high end fuel than others.

Actually busy stations should have fresh of all grades.

One particular time driving to Pickering, I gassed up at a Flying J (Shell) truck stop in Port Hope because I wanted to avoid traffic further in the city, like from Bowmanville on.
That time they had a hard time tuning my car.
They said I had bad gas.
After that I either brought jerry cans or trailered.
Never had trouble again.

Maybe the 91 at that Flying J was not getting as much use as say, the three gas stations all across from each-other at the Bowmanville exit to get to Mosport where everyone heading to the track all top up their tanks.

Stuff like that. Some stations get more demand for high end fuel than others.
If you were at the Flying J I think you were, I would not spend 50cents there lol.

Someone like Mike 2021 can speak directly about the Whipple SC.

But I would like to comment on gasoline in our area. NB specifically.

I would not describe our 91 octane fuel as lower quality. I would instead say on our 91 octane gas, period.

The basic difference is that we don’t have, like Ontario, 93 octane or Ultra 94.
That would be superior fuel, but in our busy National branded stations, the 91 that we do have can be excellent.

Reason is that our 91 gets used and turned over a lot, ensuring a constant fresh supply.
On the other hand, in Ontario where they have the choice of using 93 and Ultra 94, on the whole, there is a higher risk that their 91 supply is not as fresh.
Because there, high performance cars and their drivers use the 93 or 94 over the 91.

I have tested this theory.
When I have driven my cars to Ontario to get work done and fuelled up along the way, I get mixed results or it takes more time to tune and the tunes are not maximized.

But when I trailer my cars with a fresh full tank of Shell 91 octane from home, the tuning is easier, quicker to do and nets the best 91 octane results possible.

Case in point, last time I took my ‘06 to get tuned after major engine work, I trailered with a full load of my local fresh 91 fuel in the tank.
Once the 91 octane tuning was done and laying down good numbers, the tuner asked me if I was curious to compare to a 93 tune.
We added race fuel octane boost, which he assured me was safe and they did all the time on their race cars.

Then he dumped a 93 tune in my car and ran a pull. The net result was only 2 extra hp.
He was quite surprised and asked me what I had in the tank.
I told him I had Shell 91 octane from my home town.
He told me to keep using it and that with those numbers, that I had very good gas and it was not worth it for me to consider a 93 tune. To just keep using what I was using.

The tuning in question was all done at Dasilva Racing in Pickering.
The tuner is Mat Dasilva, Joe’s son.

My suggestion if you take your car away like that to get tuned or worked on, bring with you at least one but preferably two jerry cans of your preferred gas that you use most often and they will use that to tune your car instead of local gas from up there.

Because we don’t have 93 in the maritimes, they can’t give you a 93 tune which could harm your car.
So they must tune it with 91 in n the tank.
For that you want them to use our 91 instead of theirs for the reasons outlined above.

Best of success with your plans.
I was told but one of the guys at BLP that out fuel was lower quality 91 that was the only reason I mentioned that. We were talking about tuning and they were saying a lot of the American tuners have issues with their “canned” tunes because of the quality of fuel. But that being said could have been an attempt at an upsell lol

Trying to do some long term planning. Those who have Whipple SC what kind of power are you putting down with our lower quality 91 octane gas?
Have a look at AFTER MARKET thread it has my build sheet. I never had the car long but the super charger was a boast that’s for sure. Also Mineral Grey did a complete engine swap with a super charger and good info on his thread

Back