underage international travel???

Ohtobbad

Administrator
Staff member
Question if anyone knows.
Aliona and Brother are trying to arrange a trip
for Aliona's Niece to visit Canada next summer.

She is 10 years old, She is from germany
if anyone knows, does she need anything special
to travel here at that age?

To me the obvious is passport, arrangement with airlines to make sure
she only gets picked up by us here and them there..
travel insurance.

I am not sure of she needs any other documents.
Anyone ever do anything like this? if so are we missing anything?

Likely need this

Visa-exempt travellers
The following travellers need an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) to board their flight to Canada. However, these travellers do not need an eTA if entering by land or sea – for instance driving from the U.S. or coming by bus, train, or boat, including cruise ship.( Germany was in the visa exempt list )

I think the airline wil designate her as an Under Age Minor and she will have to wear a UM card if she is travelling by her self.
Also if a minor is not travelling with both parents there has to be a letter stating it's OK. Could be substantially different in Germany.

My recommendation would be to take all the precautionary steps possible. A letter signed by parents authorized by a public notary specifying who the minor is authorized to travel with and where (countries and cities) the monor may be going. Carrying photocopies of birth certificates by minor and adults accompanying them, along with copies of the original notarized letter.

Documents should have the final destination noted as well as 2 emergency contact numbers from origin and destination.

Travel is safe and fairly easy. Doesn't mean you shouldn't take precautions for those unlikely but possibly frightening and frustrating incidents.

With the traveling I've done domestically and internationally I have see both sides where parents have lost a child and a child has been separated from the parents. This documentation can possibly ease a stressful situation we hope never happens!

My recommendation would be to take all the precautionary steps possible. A letter signed by parents authorized by a public notary specifying who the minor is authorized to travel with and where (countries and cities) the monor may be going. Carrying photocopies of birth certificates by minor and adults accompanying them, along with copies of the original notarized letter.

Documents should have the final destination noted as well as 2 emergency contact numbers from origin and destination.

Travel is safe and fairly easy. Doesn't mean you shouldn't take precautions for those unlikely but possibly frightening and frustrating incidents.

With the traveling I've done domestically and internationally I have see both sides where parents have lost a child and a child has been separated from the parents. This documentation can possibly ease a stressful situation we hope never happens!
I agree, why I am asking. Airline should be able to arrange pick up at both ends.
Proper insurance for travel and a document from parents giving us consent to have child with us.
And God forbid deal with any unforeseen incidents.

Guess I was not sure if anything else or what level each document needs to be for this.

With the travel from Germany, factors com in to play with connections, if any are in the itenerary.
Ask specific questions and keep records of the responses and by whom:
In the event of a missed connection, will the minor be accompanied continuously until boarding the next flight including any overnight delay?
Is a direct contact phone number provided for the person accompanying the minor? If not how are time-travel communications provided to the minor travelling?
Are any changes or interruptions provided to the designated guardians or parents?
Ask if the airline offers a "concierge" service upgrade. It may and would give an added peace of mind.

With the travel from Germany, factors com in to play with connections, if any are in the itenerary.
Ask specific questions and keep records of the responses and by whom:
In the event of a missed connection, will the minor be accompanied continuously until boarding the next flight including any overnight delay?
Is a direct contact phone number provided for the person accompanying the minor? If not how are time-travel communications provided to the minor travelling?
Are any changes or interruptions provided to the designated guardians or parents?
Ask if the airline offers a "concierge" service upgrade. It may and would give an added peace of mind.
Fortunately at the time planned, Condor has direct flights from Germany to Halifax.
Also same on return, Condor is owned by Lufthansa , very good airline.
I and Aliona have used in the past, hopefully this will help process.

Back