Tesla acceleration

AC Bill

My niece took me for a spin in her new Tesla Model 3 Performance with dual drive, (4wd). I have to say that in spite of my pre-conceived, somewhat negative thoughts on Tesla's in general, this thing rocked.
I'm not a fan of not having a dashboard, or any switches, or control knobs, instead relying completely on a touch screen. I could visualize somebody driving into a ditch while trying to find the correct display mode, so you can see your speed display. Then again, the car probably would prevent that with all of it's sensors, and automatic safety features. You can even tell the car what the maximum speed it is allowed, so who needs a speedo. Yes, tell it what you want it to do, for pretty well anything. You can even have it make farting sounds when the turn signal is flashing. I bet kids will love this. It had me laughing. Apparently this Tesla feature has been around for a few years now, but it was all new to me..

The one thing that really blew me away was the acceleration. Now she's a good driver, and has always loved the long pedal, so she wasn't hesitant to let er rip....It went from a dead stop to 60 mph in about 200 feet and less than 4 seconds. You really got pushed back in the seat.. And all so quietly, which seemed so weird.
1661120645513.png

Considering what you're driving normally Bill, no doubt it was weird.

No arguing with the numbers, but personally I'll take the loud ride over quiet any day.;):LOL:
Yes, I just love the sound of an American V8 winding out, vs farting sounds..lol
Oddly the Tesla makes this weird, almost like a hovering space ship sound from a Sci-Fi movie, when in reverse. Not sure of this is a safety feature to warn pedestrians, or just a sound from the tranny when in reverse. It's kind of funny.

Yes, I just love the sound of an American V8 winding out, vs farting sounds..lol
Oddly the Tesla makes this weird, almost like a hovering space ship sound from a Sci-Fi movie, when in reverse. Not sure of this is a safety feature to warn pedestrians, or just a sound from the tranny when in reverse. It's kind of funny.

I would say safety feature so you can at least hear it is in movement. Hybrids do the same when backing up (think Toyota Rav4 Prime or the likes). Heard from multiple sources, the electric cars acceleration is something to be experienced.

The artificial sound is for safety.
Mostly for pedestrians who could easily walk behind an electric car that is backing out of a parking spot without the sound.

Store parking lot with shopping cart in hand…

Or, city sidewalk where rear bumper of parked cars are just inches inside driveway side of said sidewalk.

Back