Question:

Hello,
Here is a good site by ford you can use to check if your sync system has an update available. If there is one available you will need a clean at least 8 gig flash drive formatted to FAT 32 (for sync 2 systems) to download and install it.

I did it on my 2019 and it was pretty straightforward after I stopped trying to do it via wi fi. Flash drive is the way to go. There are some good you tube videos to walk you through the process once you have the file on the flash drive.

Alanna, did the GPS ever work in that car?
Reason I ask is that the picture above only shows the compass.
It’s been a while and I could be wrong, but it seems to me the cars from that era that show the compass like that were not equipped with GPS.
They had that compass instead in that box.

The cars that have GPS show a map in that box.
And the map is populated from a SIM card inserted inside the middle console.
The only way to update would be to somehow get a hold of a more recent SIM card.
Like a 2017 SIM card would have maps 2 years more recent to keep up with road construction.

If I’m wrong and you do have GPS, maybe you can check the site provided above by Charlie to see if you can update a SIM card from it.

Good luck.

Last edited:
When you buy a new ford with Nav it is free for 3 years, after that you need to pay for any updates,
The system is susppose to update automatically when it hits free wifi spots,
sometimes this does not work, most dealers will do a hard up date,
which means they plug in laptop and do it, only takes a few minutes,

Other options is Apple car play, if loaded you can run off of google maps when phone is pluged into car

When you buy a new ford with Nav it is free for 3 years, after that you need to pay for any updates,
The system is susppose to update automatically when it hits free wifi spots,
sometimes this does not work, most dealers will do a hard up date,
which means they plug in laptop and do it, only takes a few minutes,

Other options is Apple car play, if loaded you can run off of google maps when phone is pluged into car

Her car is a 2015.
They don’t work like that.

could be, but my f-250's did

I digress.
The part about dealer possibly able to hard wire update is correct.

And if you can get Apple car play, the part about using Google maps when phone is plugged in also a possibility.
Although I thought that just started in 2018 with Sync 3.
That merits further investigation as I doubt it will work on her older Sync 2 system.

It’s the part about 3 years free update and then needing to subscribe for further updates that does not apply to her car.
That started with Sync 4 in 2021 with most products.
Oddly enough Mustangs kept running Sync 3 through to the end of model year 2023.

The subscription option only applies to 2024 and newer Mustangs.

Last edited:
I digress.
The part about dealer possibly able to hard wire update is correct.

And if you can get Apple car play, the part about using Google maps when phone is plugged in also a possibility.
I thought that only started in 2018 with Sync 3.
That merits further investigation.

It’s the part about 3 years free update and then needing to subscribe for further updates that does not apply to her car.
That started with Sync 4 in 2021 with most products.
Oddly enough Mustangs kept running Sync 3 through to the end of model year 2023.

The subscription option only applies to 2024 and newer Mustangs.
I only found out in 2021 you have to pay for updates and with the apps,
all my guys have smart phones, Nav sucks and google maps work good,
so they we all use that instead of $850 for Nav.

Hard updates I have done a few times,
my truck 2022, 15 months old needs a new system, its on order it is so screwed up
tech is great but systems are working worse not better. so many issues with lastest versions.

I did a bit of further checking.

As I suspected, Sync 2, found on 2015 to 2017 Mustangs and as delivered from Ford, does not support the use of Apple Car Play nor Android Auto and the display of Google maps from a hard wired phone.

The ability to do this started with Sync 3 version 2.0 rolled out across all Ford vehicles for model year 2018.
Very few 2016 and certain 2017 models were equipped with Sync 3 but they were not necessarily version 2.0.
One such vehicle was the new for 2017 Fusion Sport.
To use Apple car play and Android Auto, those vehicles had to be upgraded to version 2.0.

By the time Sync 3 was replaced with Sync 4 and 4A it had reached version 3.0.
That’s probably the upgrade Charlie (2001blackgtvert) is talking about above for his Sync 3 equipped Mustang.

For readers who own 2017 or older Mustangs equipped with Sync 2, the picture posted above by Alanna is your home screen.

For owners of 2018 to 2023 Mustangs equipped with Sync 3, the bellow is an example of your home screen.

IMG_8325.png

Alanna, did the GPS ever work in that car?
Reason I ask is that the picture above only shows the compass.
It’s been a while and I could be wrong, but it seems to me the cars from that era that show the compass like that were not equipped with GPS.
They had that compass instead in that box.

The cars that have GPS show a map in that box.
And the map is populated from a SIM card inserted inside the middle console.
The only way to update would be to somehow get a hold of a more recent SIM card.
Like a 2017 SIM card would have maps 2 years more recent to keep up with road construction.

If I’m wrong and you do have GPS, maybe you can check the site provided above by Charlie to see if you can update a SIM card from it.

Good luck.
I’m not sure, I’m assuming not as it’s just the compass, there is an option for GSP but just stuck like it’s loading.

Back