Painting cars

Ohtobbad

Administrator
Staff member
Todays paints are soft.
If you were painting a car,
what process would you use for best results?
Rock chips are our enemy and looking for ideas
with paints and clear coats to slow down this
problem, any ideas?

No idea for paint processes, but one thing thats amazed me is the wraps that are available to protect the surfaces. I see a lot of guys on the US forums using Expel, I've considered it, but at this point I figure its pretty much too late, ideal time to do it is when you take delivery I suppose.

SVT4MT;n24915 said:
No idea for paint processes, but one thing thats amazed me is the wraps that are available to protect the surfaces. I see a lot of guys on the US forums using Expel, I've considered it, but at this point I figure its pretty much too late, ideal time to do it is when you take delivery I suppose.

your right, at the time I looked into it, no one was doing x-pel here, Montreal was closest
price was $5000.00

I went with Ceramic coating options pro plus, $1200
I have never had a swirl, but did nothing to stop chips

The best way to avoid them is to keep the traffic behind you...hahaha I used to have a lots of them on my vehicle until I learned to keep my distance with the one in front of me. Specially the one with 35' with no mud flap...LOL

5.0;n24920 said:
The best way to avoid them is to keep the traffic behind you...hahaha I used to have a lots of them on my vehicle until I learned to keep my distance with the one in front of me. Specially the one with 35' with no mud flap...LOL

It is indeed the one behaviour thats hard to correct. It’s amazing how far you need to be to avoir chips.... ?

Just have to find out how Volvo did it and what they used back in 04' ..my xc70 has 660000 km and barely any rock chips and no rust anywhere .. Damn thing is a tank , most are just trying to save a buck these days by taking shortcuts or using cheaper products ..

Mineral Grey;n24923 said:
Just have to find out how Volvo did it and what they used back in 04' ..my xc70 has 660000 km and barely any rock chips and no rust anywhere .. Damn thing is a tank , most are just trying to save a buck these days by taking shortcuts or using cheaper products ..

Must be the last stretch of the oil based paint. Since they switched to water based, thepaint are very brittle, any manufacturer pretty much to the same extend...

Has anyone heard of on-site restorations in Saint John

Another suggestion was Maxxim in sj
I just have two little chips and they bug the heck out of me but I would rather leave then if I can’t be pretty darn sure they can blend zinc yellow on a 2000 gt

Get the factory touch up paint pen.
Fix yourself.
It’s expected on a 20 year old car.
Especially if you drive it at all.
These cars seem to be magnets for rocks and bugs.

Order soon.
The supplier that has been serving Ford for decades is closing up shop.
We got message today that last day for orders is April 19.

Ford is looking for a new contractor.

The guy at on-site restorations is a straight shooter he looked at the two little chips and said I am good but if I were you I would leave them alone they aren’t noticeable there is no rust and who says even painting a panel will match

You original paint that is worth a lt

Back