Member Introduction - Coming out of the closet. LOL

05LLGT

Not quite as good as I once was, but hopefully good enough for one more shot at a successful venture. That being to revive an old Mustang club in New Brunswick that for some reason went the way of the DoDo bird way back in the late 1980s. The Southern New Brunswick Mustang Owners Club (SNBMOC) was formed and adopted that name, in the Spring of 1985 after the parent club in Fredericton had been founded in October, November of 1984. Each of the clubs had their own club banner made and until recently, the one for the SNBMOC was buried in the sands of time. The one for the Central New Brunswick Club has still not surfaced but hopefully it will as it should be on the wall at the Hall of Fame museum in Petitcodiac rather than rolled up and stuffed into the corner of a members garage.

So I am going to revive the SNBMOC. It should be re-established before years end as there has been much interest. I have so far recruited 52 Mustang owners
to kick off the new season in 2025. We will do our planning, which will include participation in all future Maritime Mustang events, over the winter months.

Now, as an introduction, an abbreviated resume', an introduction to the chief instigator, yours truly, to follow this brief history of the New Brunswick Clubs.
I have been inactive, other than participating in car shows and parades from 2004 to 2019 as my wife and I bought a Bed & Breakfast business and ran that very successfully for 16 years. We attended the shows at Wood Motors each year with our 1969 Ford T5 Convertible until they decided to retire, As many clubs go, it is usually the same small crew of workers that do everything and after I believe what was 29 years of great events with more cars every year, with little interest from the new generation to get involved and keep it going, these old veteran's of many events even beyond an annual show, decided to quit. A small group of Club members still meet every 1st Monday of the month at the Hanwell road Tim Horton's. They all deserve much credit for their efforts and contributuion to the operation of the club and supported charities over these many years.

So now, to the forming of the foundational Mustang club in the Maritimes. Background and history.

Back in 1984, living in Oromocto, I would take my 1970 Boss 302 into Fredericton in the evenings to just cruise around and see who else might be out in an old Mustang cruising or parked. Always looking for someone to race with, there weren't very many challengers on the streets in the mid 80s. Nor Cudas or Chargers or Camaros or any of the other muscle cars of the day. They had all somehow, disappeared.

Before long there were 3 or 4 of us standing on a corner talking strictly Mustang. Every now and then a GTO would pass by and he seemed to be the only one interested in driving his car. So since I was the new guy, I did a lot of listening to these guys taking about the old days and this car and that car and who had it now and who had it then. One night it suddenly occured to me that there must be more Mustangs out there hidden away than what they were talking about so I asked the obvious question. Do you know of many others, maybe original owners who may still have their Mustang? Well then, the flood gates seemed to open all at once and I was having a hard time keeping up. Next I asked why there weren't more out there doing what we're doing and the answer was simple. Nothing to do, expensive insurance, now had families, other interests etc. So I jumped in with I'd love to see more of these old cars so let's get them out of the garages and barns.

Well it didn't take long to convince this small group of Mustang cruising buddies that we should start a Mustang Club and encourage others to get their cars back out onto the street where everyone could see them. The guys from Fredericton put their heads together and came up with 45 names of owners who were known to have 65 cars. Remember now, these were the 1st generation, from 1964 1/2 to 1973, the majority having been parked, under cover in garages and barns for many years. And back then, car shows and car club oranizations in New Brunswick were in their infancy. So we all got on the phone and called everyone we could get hold of and asked them, that if they were interested in hearing about the formation of a Mustang Club, that we were holding a meeting at Wood Motors in the conference room the evening of the 29th of October (1984). There were at least 43 owners in attendance, the room overflowing down the stairs into the showroom when I made my presentation and proposals to the group. These were, club shows and swap meets, sponsorship for club members with discounts for parts and services from local area automotive businesses and retailers and of course cruises and parades. At the close of that meeting, there were 6 of the attendees waiting for me at the door and upon their asking, "so when's the next meeting?", we agreed to meet the following week on the 5th of November 1984, and the Central New Brunswick Mustang Owners Club (CNBMOC) was born.

And for those who don't know me, not to blow my horn but to re-introduce myself into this club which will grow to become the largest Mustang Club in Canada if it isn't already, I am Alex Kilpatrick, founding member and 1st President of:

1. The Central New Brunswick Mustang Owners Club, the 1st Mustang Club in the Maritimes and the 2nd Mustang Club in Canada to receive and become Chartered members of the MUSTANG CLUB of AMERICA. 1984-85
2. The Eastern Ontario Mustang Owners Club, Kingston, Ontario 1986 (explanation below)
3. Eastern Canada Director, Performance Ford Club of Canada 1988 which became the Ford Country Club in Moncton, NB.
4. Race official with Motorsport Marshalling Services (MMS) & Canadian Race Communications Association (CRCA) for 7 years in Ontario, I worked every race venue and mode of racing vehicles as Corner Captain, Blue Flag, Safety, Starter, Checkered Flag and my favourite job, with Pit Marshall Services (PMS) as a Pit Marshall.
Everything from Go-Cart to Formula 1, including all classes of cars and motorcycles. Indycar, NASCAR, Trans AM, WSC (World Sport Car) Formula 1600, 2000 & 3000, Ferrari Challenge, All GT Series, The 24 Hours of Mosport and others. In 7 seasons, from 1994 - 2001, my log book shows participation in 137 professional race events.
5. Treasurer and competitor with the Saint Lawrence Auto Club 2002-2003.in Kingston Ontario and class winner in 2003.
This is an Autocross or Solo II competition club dating back to 1949. The oldest club in Ontario.
6. 2006 Inductee into the Maritime Motorsport Hall of Fame, in Petitcodiac , NB.

I have posted below a small selection of photos of some of my Mustangs and different events over the years.

And I am presently in the process of reviving one of the former Mustang Clubs in Saint John, NB. We currently have 52 members. There have been 2 Mustang Clubs started in Saint John over the years. Both of these currently inactive. We will as a group, revive the Southern NB Mustang Owners Club, with chapters in Saint John, Sussex, St. Stephen and Moncton before years end.

Again, I thank everyone for their encouragement and support this season. Besides the show at Downey's in Saint John, we did a tour of the Fundy Trail with 18 cars attending on Wednesday the 11th of September (I'll try to post the photos) and a cruise with 6 cars to the Comeau's Annual Show in Pennfield on the 14th. These were both invitational open to the entire motorsport community.

We will be organizing 40th Anniversary cruises, inviting all Mustang Clubs weather permitting, throughout our anniversary year and hopefully, within the next 2 weeks, a leaf tour before seasons end.

Again, I am Alex Kilpatrick, born in Halifax and introduced to the Ford Mustang there in 1965. Joined the Canadian Army in 1966 and have a total of 29 years service in Regular Force, Reserve and Cadets. For those who like highland music, I also love to talk about my participation in 5 Pipes and Drums bands over the years between 1968 and 2003. My wife Wanda and I have always been Mustang people. We have owned 11 Mustangs and 1 Ford Shelby over the years and one Chrysler Daytona Shelby Charger but we won't talk about that one.

We, as seen in the 6th photo, my wife of 54 years and I are both looking forward to meeting many more of our Maritime Mustang members in 2025.

Attachments

• 1January.jpg
    1January.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 16
  • 8.72SR.jpg
    8.72SR.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 9
  • 969Mach1.jpg
    969Mach1.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 8
  • 1084.5GT.jpg
    1084.5GT.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 9
  • June.jpg
    June.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 8
  • Our45thDream.jpg
    Our45thDream.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 8
  • T5Angel2.jpg
    T5Angel2.jpg
    172.4 KB · Views: 8
  • 10May09 027.jpg
    10May09 027.jpg
    334.6 KB · Views: 7
  • Alex_founder.jpg
    Alex_founder.jpg
    625 KB · Views: 8
  • Copy of Alex24hours.jpg
    Copy of Alex24hours.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 8
  • Copy of BossTrophy.jpg
    Copy of BossTrophy.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 7
  • Copy of CCE00000.jpg
    Copy of CCE00000.jpg
    928.1 KB · Views: 7
  • Copy of TommyKendall.jpg
    Copy of TommyKendall.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 7
  • June2008 057.jpg
    June2008 057.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 8
  • AlexinMk7@Picton4print.jpg
    [email protected]
    55.7 KB · Views: 11
  • 20140418_102439.jpg
    20140418_102439.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 7
  • 2015-11-25 15.08.47.jpg
    2015-11-25 15.08.47.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 10
  • 20191009_153242.jpg
    20191009_153242.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 11
  • 20140411_130531.jpg
    20140411_130531.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 8
  • 20140412_134524.jpg
    20140412_134524.jpg
    883.5 KB · Views: 12
Alex you have all kinds of passion and dedication when it comes to cars and Mustangs From the conversations I’ve had with you in the past I know you will have success reviving the old clubs.
Thank you 01BlackGTvert.
Please either email [email protected] or by FB messenger show me who it is I can't put a name or face to. Having made so many new introductions in the past 3-4 months, with all of the shiny ponies, I'm having a hard time remembering faces.

Thank you 01BlackGTvert.
Please either email [email protected] or by FB messenger show me who it is I can't put a name or face to. Having made so many new introductions in the past 3-4 months, with all of the shiny ponies, I'm having a hard time remembering faces.
Haha I remember cars. I sometimes have a hard time with the names until I have met them a few times.
It's Charlie. I was at your Bed and Breakfast a few years ago when we did the photo shoot on a fall run. We also chatted at the Taylor show a few weeks ago.

Back