Hybrid Mustang by 2020 ?

I hate to be the one who says it, but I hope it fails and no one buys it.
Many conversions in every Muscle car forums across the plant about the
"Last of the V-8's " When cars like these are fully accepted ( and the will be)
We will no longer see V-8 muscle cars and soon after gasoline or performance cars.

Before this happens, I hope its long enough away I am dead :)

Nothing beats the sound of an unleashed V-8 muscle car :)

V8 is only one for me too, But Ford has no choice but to look to the future. The new Acura NSX is a Hybrid Super Car.

I got nothing against V-6, the new 4 cylinders, some wicked cars out there.
I am just in no hurry to have a golf cart with a Mustang body on it, no matter how good they say it is.
It will happen, but the more we embrace it, the faster it will happen.

I remember back in the early 90s when Ford came out with the Probe, there was talk that it would replace the mustang. There will always be a V8 Mustang as long as we are alive. And if there isn't, I'll just keep mine. Sure the new ones are faster and more sophisticated, but I prefer the rumble of a V8 with dual exhaust.

I also believe that there will always be a V8 available, at least for the foreseeable future BUT, they will be very rare, expensive, top end, hyper cars.

I agree, it won't be long and a V-8 will be tough to come by.
If you want it, your going to pay dearly for it.
With cafe rules becoming very tight in 2018 and worse in 2020.
Big engines are going to be less and less.

On the other hand, with Trump winning the election and him not believing this is an issues,
the manufactures might be able to get all that stuff reduced or dismissed.
Likely not good for the planet, but great for muscle cars :)

That horse has already left the barn. The rest of the world is headed towards smaller less polluting engines and the Big 2.5, if they want to compete, will have to follow suite. Also, Ford Eco-Boost engines found in the F-150's and other models have a surprising high take up rate, so much so that they are taking advantage of the smaller engine sizes and designing cars with smaller engine bays in order to save space and weight. Ergo there's no way that any of the Big 2.5 are going to re-design their vehicle line-up to fit large displacement (V-8) engines (pick-up trucks excluded, for the time being).

Meanwhile, European manufacturers will keep pushing for better mileage cars which will be of great benefit when, not if, gas prices increase ( I don't know if anyone has noticed that despite low to flat cost of oil local gas prices have been creeping up). All it takes is for some world unrest, disaster, stupid policy or "tweet" for the price to jump drastically.

Last edited:
I agree to a point, Based on the next several year, the V-8 is not dead yet.
Up swing in desire for HP cars is one thing. Joking aside, don't under estimate
what Trump may do, He has already put EPA on hold and is about to look at that
hard, you can bet the big 2.5 ( as you put it will have his ear)
If he believes the CAFE rules will prohibit US auto makers and jobs,
that will be slowed down/reduced so fast your head will spin.
Which will be good for those of us who love big V-8 HP cars.
Could be interesting days ahead.

Back