Detailing Tips

Bills07GT

I looked around the forum for this topic and didn't find anything. If it is a duplicate let me know. This is my first all black car and I really want to look after the paint. I am especially concerned about washing it and the scratches that sometimes appear afterwards. Any suggestions on a good wash and wax combination to use that you've had success with? I know there are some products out there that contain a black dye that also help with small imperfections and scratches. I've always done my own detailing and maybe I'm being overly cautious. Thanks for your help.

Turtle has a good line of products, including the black wax and black detailing spray also.
I use this along, with normal stuff. I also found a guy who will do the whole car, buffed and wax
for amazing low price, this is good to have done 1-2 times a year.
Black is wicked when clean, keeping it clean can lead to a drinking problem LOL.

I share your pain and have a black one as well. The TurtleWax product that has dye and can be useful is called Colour Magic. Another really great product for getting a smear free finish after washing is called AquaWax by a British company called AutoGlym (you can get it in Canadian Tire) - you wash the car, but then instead of leathering it off, you spray on Aqua Wax and wipe it round then just buff the car, so you dry and wax in one step. Leaves a great smear free finish and can be used on plastic, glass etc without leaving a residue, in fact it brings up black plastic very nicely.

I like a black car, but for the same reason I don't think I could keep it clean. So little dust makes it look dirty.

So my advice on a black car is not so valuable.

Thanks everyone. I already cracked open a bottle of rum and it seemed to help LOL. I keep her garaged so some dusting and detail spray goes a long way. I know I will have to wash her eventually and will take my time. I read about the two bucket (wash and rinse) method with grit guards in the bottom of the buckets, and even a third bucket for wheels and tires. It seems smart. Whoever detailed the car before me did an amazing job.

There is also a site called Eshine.ca. Lots of great products and advise plus great service to boot. My favorite product from them is called Klasse, so far it's been the best one I have found. You can check them out if you wish. But the Rum thing sounds awfully good to me !!!! By the way welcome to the site.....

I'm a big fan of eShine.ca.

I have a black car too. A 30 years old car at that.

The no. 1 tip for a black car is buy some EXCELLENT microfiber. Not those cheap yellow ones from Costco or even worse the thin one from Canadian Tire. eShine.ca sells some pretty good one, they're blue, thick and soft. Those will stop putting swirls in your paint everytime you clean or polish it.

My second advise, if you plan on machine polishing it, buy a DA polisher like a Porter Cable XP7424. They're somewhat affordable and paired with a good backing plate and foam pads they will make any car shine like it was detailed by a pro.

Remember, the quality of the products is second. The difference comes from the prep work (cleaned paint, decontaminated by a clay bar, tar removal, etc).

I've been getting stuff from E-Shine.ca since about 2009. They have stuff you can't get anywhere else. I believe that if your order is $150 or more shipping is free and you get it in about one week.

I will have to check this e-shine out.

Does anyone have tricks for rock chips?
Has to be a better way than bobbing on a spot of paint :(

Ohtobbad;n5234 said:

Honda came out with a touch-up pen several years ago. I worked almost like a Sharpie, but where the tip could be pumped, to release more paint if needed. It was great for those little chips, where it is difficult to control the size of the paint blob, when using a brush type applicator.

I'm not sure if anyone else has followed suit with that system or not.

Ohtobbad;n5234 said:
I will have to check this e-shine out.

A toothpick work pretty good...
touchpen3.jpg
repair-scuff.jpg

Back