66 GT350 Question for you..

AC Bill

I saw this 66 GT350 for sale, and I can't decide if the car had been done right, by turning it into a B Production race car for the vintage circuit, or ruined for life..
In some ways I think, well the GT350's claim to fame really was made on the race track, not the street. But then I think..hmmm.. just over 1300 of these cars were ever built, would I want one that has been modified to race, or an untouched factory stock one?

The article goes on to tell you, most of the factory stock parts including the original 289 engine will come with the car, so if desired you could put it back to factory stock condition. But could you really?

That full cage roll bar would have to be bolted or welded in place, likewise with the racing harness, mounting holes for the race seat, holes for the fire extinguisher system, and I am sure many other modifications, that just a dab of touch up paint won't fix,,,Oh I suppose you could fill in all the holes, and once painted it wouldn't be quite so obvious the car had gone through a metamorphosis.

What do you think? Use the car as it became famous for, or leave it as virginal as possible? Does the current bidding on the car reflect that one way or another?

http://bringatrailer.com/listing/1966-shelby-gt350/

As you can imagine I have looked at more than a few of these. The car has not been built the way the GT350R B spec racer was produced.
Its close, but they went a step further. Its close and with little work, you could turn it into a proper clone. At the end of the day
thats what you have, is it worth more, YES. with original tags and gear, the pure rarity of this car makes it worth a lot.
Considering some of these cars have gone for over 700k. 95k is likely still bargain.
I would love to have this car, I would likely turn it into a full B-spec car, more for street use.
But it would be a clone.

For about 30k and the cost to convert it, you could do this cheaper. But you will never have the original tag.
If the original parts list is complete, then its worth the money being asked all day long.

the rest is personal.

Bucket list thing for me LOL.

This gives me mixed opinions. The real values on these were the ones that were raced in the 60's. Why not make a clone out of a fastback?

I fried of mine totaled a real one. He was hit from behind by a higher spec car. I think he ended up selling the car to Australia, basically for the serial numbers and tags.He ended up replacing the car with another.

I personally would not have done this mod. Rather build a purpose built clone. But I guess you may not be able to race it in the vintage class.

This is an expensive car either way. Don't get me wrong, I would love to have this car. Always been my favorite.

Back