Tyre / Tire buying Advice

Yup. I run BFG KO2s right now on my truck. Love them. 10 ply are a bit too much for the new aluminum bodied Ford so they're a bit stiff, but the darn thing don't wear at all haha.

those are very good, but a bit aggressive for normal truck.
BFG makes a bit lighter version of it, don't look like much for snow.
but I have run them on my plow trucks never an issue.
Also nice driving on hwy with them. one set I got 84k out of.
BFG wear fast to half and seem to stay there for ever.
Rotate often, any truck tire.

Been trailering for many years and first rule of thumb regarding mods is get 10 ply tires. You will not regret it, makes a world of difference in the swaying department and especially when traveling in high winds.

Had a few sets of Michelin LTX on some of my trucks and they are great tires, smooth and long lasting. But a few years back I hit one bad set which made me curse for over a year as no service at all from Michelin and the dealer just got tired of trying so I was left with the problem, Michelin is just horrible to deal with period. So this time around I did some research and decided on Hankook Dynapro's, well rated but very expensive so will just have to wait and see the results once I install them after the winter.

Picking up on bad Michelin experience. You guys know BF Goodrich owns Michelin right?
The company name is Uniroyal Goodrich Tire Company. I wonder if BF Goodrich is as sticky as Michelin?
Anyway, I've run original 4 ply LTX's on an F-150 20 years ago, was happy with those. No towing involved.
Did not require after sales service.
I've also run BFG G-Force KDWS in 255/50/17 on a previous Mustang and hit a couple track days with them.
They worked pretty good actually despite their 400 tread wear rating. Good sidewall and wore well on the Mustang. Discontinued since.
One BFG tire I loved on my V-6 Fusion was the G-Force Super Sport AS with tread wear around 460, if memory serves me right.
Great handling and pretty good wear. So of course they cancelled production. I went through two sets. Happy with both.
That's when I switched to the Good Year Eagle Sport. Very similar performance for sidewall stability but I think the Good Years wear a bit longer.
Slightly harder compound at TW of around 500.
I like square block or traditional type tread patterns on my summer tires. I'm not a fan of directional tires except on winter tires.
I've found that directional treads on summer tires tend to make more noise, and am not sure they live up to all the propaganda.
Ultra high performance or "R" compound tires tend to have square block treads. I think it generates much better dry grip and decent water evacuation with channels between blocks.
Just look at F-1 rain tires. They're not directional.They're channeled.

Last edited:
Looks like a good choice. Square tread design very similar to the Eagle F-1 and other UH Performance tires.
500 tread wear should last a while. I'm sure it will have a good sidewall for control.

Last edited:
You want an R tire, I would go with Pirelli Trofeo R's
or the Michelins I have on my car Michelin Sport cup 2.
Not much wear factor, so so in the rain, but great performance tire :)
not likely best choice for most Mustangs, but super sticky :)

Got my new Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ tires put on. Hurt to retire the Bridgestone Potenzas with 8/32nd still left on them but the DOT indicates they were made in 2006.Guess I need to drive more to wear them out before they stale date! From what have read tires over 6 to 10 years old can develop issues. Maybe that has been what has been going on with my vibration issues that would not balance out? Have only driven the Michelins a short distance but notice how quiet they are (nice for when the top is down) and a smoother ride (also fine since my car mostly just cruises streets and highways). So far so good!

tires start to lose grip in one year.
Depends on heat cycles all sorts of things.
If you want performance, consider new tires more often
regardless of the wear.
If you want wear, realize next year tires will not perform
as well and they will be less and less each year.
So going around that turn go slower or you may not like where
you end up :)

A snowy miserable winter day...so thought I would kick this thread again as I am thinking about Spring and new tires. Current tires are Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+. I was happy with this tire but of course things have evolved since 2017! My driving is all street/highway for pleasure so looking for a tire that will best suit that purpose. I have started researching the newer Michelin Pilot Sport 4S and 5S. What are thoughts on these tires? other brands that others would recommend fro my kind of driving?

Have you has the A/S 4 for long? From what I see the A/S 4 are the all season version. When I search my Mustang on Michelin.ca they come back with the Pilot Sport 4S and the Pilot Sport 5 which are not all season. A/S provides another option for sure!
I had them installed first of last year. Roughly 5000KM on them I Believe. I went with the all season with the 540 Treadwear instead of the regular ones with the 320 treadwear. I went this route since I didn't feel I needed to blow the bank on a tire that wasn't going to last as long in my opinion. I find these have excellent grip for an all season and are wearing nicely. I got caught in the rain with them a few times last year and I always felt safe. If I drove more spirited then maybe I would have gone to the others. I had heard great reviews from fellow Maritime Mustang users and I was not disappointed. We will see how they last over the next couple of seasons I guess. I know one thing, they cannot be any worst the the Garbage P Zero tires it came with. But that's just my opinion. lol

I had them installed first of last year. Roughly 5000KM on them I Believe. I went with the all season with the 540 Treadwear instead of the regular ones with the 320 treadwear. I went this route since I didn't feel I needed to blow the bank on a tire that wasn't going to last as long in my opinion. I find these have excellent grip for an all season and are wearing nicely. I got caught in the rain with them a few times last year and I always felt safe. If I drove more spirited then maybe I would have gone to the others. I had heard great reviews from fellow Maritime Mustang users and I was not disappointed. We will see how they last over the next couple of seasons I guess. I know one thing, they cannot be any worst the the Garbage P Zero tires it came with. But that's just my opinion. lol
Thanks for the details. Yes I see that the Pilot 4 S is $100 more per tire compared to the A/S 4. Tread wear and tire life are a consideration as is cost. I had Bridgestone Potenzas before the Pilot A/S3+ and they were terrible.

Thanks for the details. Yes I see that the Pilot 4 S is $100 more per tire compared to the A/S 4. Tread wear and tire life are a consideration as is cost. I had Bridgestone Potenzas before the Pilot A/S3+ and they were terrible.
Personally I think they're a great price point. I know a few others will chime in as well with their experience with them. Mine is short lived, however so far so good.

If you already experienced Michelin and like them, I would stick with them.
They make great tires.

Also, you should define what the word pleasure means to you.

One man’s pleasure can be another’s boring.
Or one’s pleasure can be another’s scary, or a bit out of my comfort zone.

If one is happy coasting or maintaining safe/posted speed around corners, less tire is required.
If one likes to carry speed in corners or see if you can gap the car behind you by corner exit, then more tire is required.

All the tires mentioned above are good choices for Mustangs.

The general differences can be summarized like this:

PS4S, more performance oriented than the AS4. So stiffer sidewall for cornering grip. Downside is harsher or less comfortable ride than AS4.
PS4S has softer rubber than AS4 for better grip, but wears faster. Don’t get as much mileage out of them.
PS4S cost more than AS4 and don’t last as long. Budget implications.
Generally the AS4 should be better in wet conditions than PS4S.

PS5S should fall in between the other two.
Less performance than PS4S but more than AS4.
Less grip than PS4S but more than AS4.
More confort than PS4S but less than AS4.
Will last a bit longer than PS4S but not as long ad AS4.

So a few factors can guide decision.
Ride comfort and longevity vs level of grip and cornering ability desired.
Budget.
Maybe wet performance for some.

The definition of pleasure at the outset can guide wether ride comfort or grip is the more important feature.

Last edited:
Back