Todays adventures

Canadian Crimson

So I picked up a set of 20mm spacers and went to install them on the front, drivers side wheel nut was not even finger tight FFS. Replaced the wheel bearing torqued it , installed my spacers, did a little black out on the chrome badging. Swapped out the tail light filler panel for the Ford Performance one without an emblem. Left to do is the running pony on the front, not sure how I am going to tackle that one yet( My arm does not fit behind the rad) , new Steeda clutch spring and a Barton shifter ( FYI they are on sale 20% off at Bartons website). and a really good decon wash and detailing.

So I picked up a set of 20mm spacers and went to install them on the front, drivers side wheel nut was not even finger tight FFS. Replaced the wheel bearing torqued it , installed my spacers, did a little black out on the chrome badging. Swapped out the tail light filler panel for the Ford Performance one without an emblem. Left to do is the running pony on the front, not sure how I am going to tackle that one yet( My arm does not fit behind the rad) , new Steeda clutch spring and a Barton shifter ( FYI they are on sale 20% off at Bartons website). and a really good decon wash and detailing.
sign or wrap shop could do your emblem, we need pics.

Gap between top of tire and fender/quarter.
Maybe wheel well gap is a better description, which lowering will address.

You’ll like the look of lowering and probably like the responsiveness even more.

I did full suspension on both my ‘06 and ‘15, and love both results.
You’re welcome to reach out if you have any questions.

Two quick points to consider.

1- Have you noticed how the front gap is slightly wider (or higher) than the rear gap?
That’s an S550 trait from the factory.
So look for lowering springs that lower the front slightly more than the rear. This will either make both gaps even or make front slightly lower, which is the look I believe most of us consider normal or more visually appealing.
And is also better aero for high speed stability, maybe a lesser consideration for most folks.

2- The S550 is considerably lower from the factory than the S197. So whereas a 1 to 1.5 inch drop was easily soaked up by the S197, it may prove to be a bit too aggressive for a lot of people on the S550, and make driving our less than stellar Maritime roads a bit challenging.
So I would suggest to consider what they call minimum drop springs for the S550.
They typically drop the car less than 1 inch.
Two minimum drop manufacturers I’m familiar with are Steeda, 1/2 drop front and rear, which still leaves front slightly higher than rear. Second is BMR, with 1/5 inch drop in rear and roughly 3/4 inch drop in front, addressing that higher front issue from factory.

Last edited:
Gap between top of tire and fender/quarter.
Maybe wheel well gap is a better description, which lowering will address.

You’ll like the look of lowering and probably like the responsiveness even more.

I did full suspension on both my ‘06 and ‘15, and love both results.
You’re welcome to reach out if you have any questions.

Two quick points to consider.

1- Have you noticed how the front gap is slightly wider (or higher) than the rear gap?
That’s an S550 trait from the factory.
So look for lowering springs that lower the front slightly more than the rear. This will either make both gaps even or make front slightly lower, which is the look I believe most of us consider normal or more visually appealing.
And is also better aero for high speed stability, maybe a lesser consideration for most folks.

2- The S550 is considerably lower from the factory than the S197. So whereas a 1 to 1.5 inch drop was easily soaked up by the S197, it may prove to be a bit too aggressive for a lot of people on the S550, and make driving our less than stellar Maritime roads a bit challenging.
So I would suggest to consider what they call minimum drop springs for the S550.
They typically drop the car less than 1 inch.
Two minimum drop manufacturers I’m familiar with are Steeda, 1/2 drop front and rear, which still leaves front slightly higher than rear. Second is BMR, with 1/5 inch drop in rear and roughly 3/4 inch drop in front, addressing that higher front issue from factory.
I have been on the fence between the Steeda linear minimum drop and their Sport Progressives. They recommend a 1/4 ( I think) spacer in the rear for the convertibles. Other choice was Eibach Sportlines ( I think). Leaning towards the Steeda simply because I can do a full suspension including matched dampeners from them. Only issue is getting to Valdosta. I am in Georgia every 4-6 weeks but usually on the Atlantic side.

Last edited:
I have been on the fence between the Steeda linear minimum drop and their Sport Progressives. They recommend a 1/4 ( I think) spacer in the rear for the convertibles. Other choice was Eibach Sportlines ( I think). Leaning towards the Steeda simply because I can do a full suspension including matched dampeners from them. Only issue is getting to Valdosta. I am in Georgia every 4-6 weeks but usually on the Atlantic side.
For the reasons I stated above, I would suggest you go with the Steeda minimum drop, since you are already looking at them.

I’m not a convertible guy so, although I’m surprised by possible spacer requirement, I can’t confirm or refute that part.
My instinct is that you don’t need them.
Do your research on that point.
Better yet, call Steeda direct and have conversation.
Once you’re dropped, the whole look will be different and you probably want to get rid of spacers. Give a bit of clearance for tires and fenders.

Avoid the Eibach Sportline. Those are an aggressive drop for show cars.
You will rub your splitter and belly if you go that low.

If you want to consider Eibach, it is the Pro Kit you should be looking at.
But those will still be low at 1 inch rear drop and 1.2 inch front drop, more than double the Steeda minimum drop.

Note: Granted, it’s not the same car but Mike21, on here, has the Eibach pro kit springs on his Mach1, and last I herd from him is that he is thinking about going back to stock height after getting tired of rubbing in a lot of places.

Happy shopping and modding.
Looking forward to future pics.

If or when you pull trigger on springs and dampers, a good compliment to those is sway bars, front and rear.
But they don’t have to be done at same time if budget does not allow.
Sway bars can be done separately later.

What should be done at same time as dampers, if you are even remotely thinking about it, is caster-camber plates.
Because you are pulling the struts anyway, which is the biggest part of doing CC plates.

If you are thinking about CC plates, my recommendation would be Maximum Motorsports.
But for full disclosure, Steeda also makes CC plates.
Some people like to have all the same manufacturer for all their mods.

On same note, my go to for sway bars is Eibach, but again Steeda makes a wide selection of those too.

Biggest difference in past is that Eibach bars have grease cups for easy lube.
Steeda did not have grease fittings.

For the reasons I stated above, I would suggest you go with the Steeda minimum drop, since you are already looking at them.

I’m not a convertible guy so, although I’m surprised by possible spacer requirement, I can’t confirm or refute that part.
Once you’re dropped, the whole look will be different and you probably want to get rid of spacers. Give a bit of clearance for tires and fenders.

But those will still be low at 1 inch rear drop and 1.2 inch front drop, more than double the Steeda minimum drop.

Note: Granted, it’s not the same car but Mike21, on here, has the Eibach pro kit springs on his Mach1, and last I herd from him is that he is thinking about going back to stock height after getting tired of rubbing in a lot of places.

Your right Marc I took it back to stock at the end of last year to low for me was dragging on everything

Steeda has a full kit that saves a bit of $$ if you buy their springs , shocks, and camber plates at the same time, most likely I would upgrade the rear shock mounts at the same time. The spacer is right from Steeda , guess it’s to offset the slight difference in the rears for the extra weight of the drop top( the price for being cool I guess) . Honestly I could not imagine driving on our wonderful NB roads with a 1+ drop. Shifter is next then maybe exhaust. Never know if the economy picks back up might even be boost in my future lol

Steeda has a full kit that saves a bit of $$ if you buy their springs , shocks, and camber plates at the same time, most likely I would upgrade the rear shock mounts at the same time. The spacer is right from Steeda , guess it’s to offset the slight difference in the rears for the extra weight of the drop top( the price for being cool I guess) . Honestly I could not imagine driving on our wonderful NB roads with a 1+ drop. Shifter is next then maybe exhaust. Never know if the economy picks back up might even be boost in my future lol
If you go steeda you will like the product
for sure . Other brand are good but for me
prefer steeda and it s american made for american icon.

Back