Ride quality

Toyfixr

Hi Guys and Gals , just bought a 2014 mustang GT premium pack with Brembo brake package. This is the last year for the live rear axle, as far as Ride quality goes it has limitations. I bought this car knowing how it drives and it’s not the smoothest car over bumps and that’s OK. However when I look at the wheel gap of my fenders with the factory suspension I would like to lower this car at least an inch for a better stance. My question is how much worse as far as ride quality Will it be? my last car was a Lexus Is300 and I had an Eibach set up on that car. This stance was awesome and the car was absolutely nuts around corners but the ride quality I found a little too harsh for my liking. I want ride quality and driveability over just looks. I don’t believe I have the factory Ford performance track pack on this car. Please let me know your thoughts thank you

Attachments

• F14B8132-3E1A-40BA-88F0-BE83F5B97FEC.jpeg
    F14B8132-3E1A-40BA-88F0-BE83F5B97FEC.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 8
  • BEFBD2D4-B8EF-4E05-81A0-C77A703ECBC6.jpeg
    BEFBD2D4-B8EF-4E05-81A0-C77A703ECBC6.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 8
Nice car.

Eibach makes a kit for your S197 Mustang.
Lowers front 1.25 and rear 1.5 inches respectively. Called Pro kit.

It will give you same results as your Lexus.
Noticeably better handling and nice stance but harsher ride. The two are tied together.
Up to you to decide based on your previous experience.

If you only want to drop 1 inch all around, get the Ford Performance “P” springs. They are made by Eibach for Ford under contract.
And the Ford Performance equivalent to the Pro kit is the “K” springs. 1.25 front and 1.5 rear drop. Blue colour instead of red but same springs.

No hard data to support but 1 inch drop may be slightly less harsh than 1.25 and 1.5.
If you want soft, plushy suspension keep stock springs. But you get vague handling/steering.

If you want more precise steering/handling, get springs but soft/plushy suspension will suffer.

Suspension of 2005 to 2014 is all the same.
S197 generation.

If you do springs, P or K, I would do dampers at same time on a 10 year old car.
And would be good time to upgrade strut mounts to GT500 specs. A stiffer bushing mount. Less strut deflection when you turn, not stiffer ride.

For dampers, Bilstein HD’s or Ford Performance or Eibach if you want to buy an all inclusive kit of springs and dampers.

All the Ford Performance stuff is available from Ford dealers.
Eibach and Bilstein, you’ll have to source online.

Don’t hesitate if more questions.

It's been a lot of years, but I did the FRPP FR3 Handling Pack on my '06 S197 GT back in 2008 or so..... shocks, lowering springs, struts, sway bars, bushings etc.

Once I saw how good the car looked and how it handled, I was so happy I forgot to worry about how it rode. lol

Marc's got you hooked up with the details, I'm just throwing in an objective , and biased, opinion that the FR3 did wonders for changing the 4x4 stance on the '06 to a lowered, level look , and that alone was worth it.

Nice car.

Eibach makes a kit for your S197 Mustang.
Lowers front 1.25 and rear 1.5 inches respectively. Called Pro kit.

It will give you same results as your Lexus.
Noticeably better handling and nice stance but harsher ride. The two are tied together.
Up to you to decide based on your previous experience.

If you only want to drop 1 inch all around, get the Ford Performance “P” springs. They are made by Eibach for Ford under contract.
And the Ford Performance equivalent to the Pro kit is the “K” springs. 1.25 front and 1.5 rear drop. Blue colour instead of red but same springs.

No hard data to support but 1 inch drop may be slightly less harsh than 1.25 and 1.5.
If you want soft, plushy suspension keep stock springs. But you get vague handling/steering.

If you want more precise steering/handling, get springs but soft/plushy suspension will suffer.

Suspension of 2005 to 2014 is all the same.
S197 generation.

If you do springs, P or K, I would do dampers at same time on a 10 year old car.
And would be good time to upgrade strut mounts to GT500 specs. A stiffer bushing mount. Less strut deflection when you turn, not stiffer ride.

For dampers, Bilstein HD’s or Ford Performance or Eibach if you want to buy an all inclusive kit of springs and dampers.

All the Ford Performance stuff is available from Ford dealers.
Eibach and Bilstein, you’ll have to source online.

Don’t hesitate if more questions.
Thanks for the info , much appreciated

Welcome to the site, I did an 08 many years ago and I used the tokico D spec shocks,
they were fully adjustable. if you can find these you can adjust, fairly easy
and get performance when you want and better ride when you want,
but will have to adjust between drives.

I personally changed shocks, springs sway bar, got shocks where I wanted and
never changed again, gave ups comfort for handling, you will likely not get the lexus ride,
but Lexus will never give you the Mustang kick.

If you want a mustang that will give you both, your going to have to go far newer, and spend alot more $$$$
Gt 350 comes to mind :)

Hi Guys and Gals , just bought a 2014 mustang GT premium pack with Brembo brake package. This is the last year for the live rear axle, as far as Ride quality goes it has limitations. I bought this car knowing how it drives and it’s not the smoothest car over bumps and that’s OK. However when I look at the wheel gap of my fenders with the factory suspension I would like to lower this car at least an inch for a better stance. My question is how much worse as far as ride quality Will it be? my last car was a Lexus Is300 and I had an Eibach set up on that car. This stance was awesome and the car was absolutely nuts around corners but the ride quality I found a little too harsh for my liking. I want ride quality and driveability over just looks. I don’t believe I have the factory Ford performance track pack on this car. Please let me know your thoughts thank you

Just check black friday special at steeda.com they will have a great sale for sure and you will have enough choice to enjoy your car and for the spring some were made in conjuction with ford motor company they nice product and great service also.

Check 555 8206
Upper strut mount 555 8135
Steeda pro action shock and strut
555 8405
555 1072 front and rear sway bar kit
555 2551 adjustable panhard bar this is a must if you lower your car
Also 555 2555 panhard bar brace
555 4405 control arm with steeda logo
555 4112 adjustable street upper control arm
555 8106 bumpsteer kit

Pretty much it and you will like your car for sure.

Just check black friday special at steeda.com they will have a great sale for sure and you will have enough choice to enjoy your car and for the spring some were made in conjuction with ford motor company they nice product and great service also.

Check 555 8206
555 8405
555 8106 bumpsteer kit

Thanks so much for the info

Check 555 8206
555 8405
555 8106 bumpsteer kit

A lot of us like to spend other members’ money on this forum, but you don’t need everything on this list unless you’re building a car for the track or planning to make big power gains.

This stuff has been discussed before in other threads so will not repeat at this time.
And where your initial question centred on lowering springs for stance and appearance, and where one of your main concerns is ride comfort, you’re likely not a candidate for everything on that list.

Maybe you’re a mechanic or gear head and you know plenty on the subject to navigate by yourself.
After all, you had springs done ou your Lexus previously.

On other hand, if you wonder which parts on list can be dropped, please don’t hesitate to ask.

A lot of us like to spend other members’ money on this forum, but you don’t need everything on this list unless you’re building a car for the track or planning to make big power gains.

This stuff has been discussed before in other threads so will not repeat at this time.
And where your initial question centred on lowering springs for stance and appearance, and where one of your main concerns is ride comfort, you’re likely not a candidate for everything on that list.

Maybe you’re a mechanic or gear head and you know plenty on the subject to navigate by yourself.
After all, you had springs done ou your Lexus previously.

On other hand, if you wonder which parts on list can be dropped, please don’t hesitate to ask.
Thanks for the advice, I am a mechanic by trade and I used to Autocross my Lexus so I’m not new to to suspension modifications. This is my first Mustang and ford product so Im just taking in this info from guys who have more experience with the product. A good mechanic does his research 👍🏻

Thanks for the advice, I am a mechanic by trade and I used to Autocross my Lexus so I’m not new to to suspension modifications. This is my first Mustang and ford product so Im just taking in this info from guys who have more experience with the product. A good mechanic does his research 👍🏻

Cool! Knowing your background helps steer the conversation.
I’ll share info on some of the items in the Steeda list above in bullet form to keep it condensed-ish.

About me, I have done suspension on 2 cars like yours. An 05 automatic (sold) and a 06 manual which I still own and love to throw around corners. I’ve tried basic autocross once, but have attended multiple High Performance Driving events at different tracks in Canada and US.

The 555 8206 item is the Steeda Ultralite springs. They drop the car 1.25 front and 1.5 rear, like the Eibach pro kit and Ford K springs. However, from everything I’ve read over the years, they have a reputation for having a compliant or lesser harsh ride within the lowering spring universe.
Will still be stiffer than stock but probably as close to what you are looking for, “plush ride”, as possible.
No hard data to support but all anecdotal information suggests they would be softer than Eibach, Ford and all other Steeda springs.
I run the Ford P springs.

Sway bars, You know what they do and they don’t affect stance or ride plushness. They keep car flat in corners. Front and rear should be done at same time to maintain balance.

Try this again. 🤦‍♂️

I’ll share info on the items in the Steeda list above in bullet form to keep it somewhat condensed-ish. Ha! Ha!

About myself, I have done suspension on 2 cars like yours. An 05 automatic (sold) and a 06 manual which I still own and love to throw around corners. I’ve tried basic autocross once, but have attended multiple High Performance Driving events at different tracks in Canada and US.

First, re-reading your initial question, you’re ok with present ride quality. You want to lower for looks but wonder how much worse lowering will be, if at all?
It will be different but not necessarily much worse.
It will be a bit sharper over bumps and expansion joints but the fact that there will be less suspension travel kind of makes the car feel a bit lighter. Or like there’s less mass hitting the bottom at full compression.
Although the impact is sharper, it’s over more quickly.
But the improvements in steering response and handling more than make up for any added harshness. You’ll simply be amazed at the improved difference. You have to experience it to understand how much difference it makes.
SVT4MT, Mike, echos this sentiment in his post above.

The 555 8206 item is the Steeda Ultralite springs. They drop the car 1.25 front and 1.5 rear, like the Eibach pro kit and Ford K springs. I have no experience with them but Steeda’s description says they are their least aggressive springs and suggests they have a less harsh ride than others within the lowering spring universe.

Sway bars, You know what they do and they don’t affect stance or ride plushness. They keep car flat in corners. If you consider them, front and rear should be done at same time to maintain balance.
Specifically on Steeda, I don’t like their design because they don’t have grease fittings. If they start to squeak you can’t easily lube them.
On other hand, both Eibach and Ford Performance sway bars have grease fittings.
Again here as with the springs, the Ford bars are made by Eibach under contract.
I run the Eibach bars.

Steeda strut mounts, I actually don’t know much about the Steeda mounts.
The industry standard for upgrades is the Ford GT500 strut mount.
But if you value fine tuning your alignments, especially camber settings, and eliminating strut deflection on turn in, for sharp and responsive steering, then you should consider caster-camber plates.
They replace the strut mounts all together and have steel ball bearing instead of rubber bushing.
The camber and caster aren't adjustable on these cars from the factory. Only toe.
Several manufacturers make CC plates, including Steeda, but industry leader among track going Mustangs is arguably Maximum Motorsports.
I run Maximum Motorsports CC on my 3 Mustangs.

Steeda dampers. They have a good reputation. As good as the ones mentioned above previously; Bilstein, Eibach, Ford Performance or Tokico.
I run Bilstein”s on my ‘06 and Ford Performance on my ‘15.

Adjustable Panhard bar.
This is actually a very good point brought up.
The rear end on these cars is a 3 link setup with a Panhard bar.
The geometry of the setup causes the rear axle to move slightly to the left as the car goes down or as the suspension gets compressed.
If you keep stock wheels and tires, there will still be plenty of room and no rubbing issues. But if you plan on wider wheels and tires in future, or if you notice small details like that, lowering car 1 to 1.5 inch in back will move axle and you will see it.
No 2 cars respond identically but axle could move over as much as 1/4 to 1/2 inch, give or take.
I think Steeda bar is Chromoly so would be a good choice.
I run BMR adjustable Panhard because years ago the Steeda bar adjusted from both ends, which made the adjusting difficult on RHS due to chassis material making it hard to get wrenches in there.
BMR bar adjusts in middle so much more user friendly.
But glance at Steeda site tonight suggests Steeda has changed its design so they also adjust in the middle now.

Panhard brace. Not necessary unless building car for track and want maximum lateral support in corners.
Car already has a Panhard brace from factory.
After market brace replaces factory brace with something more sturdy.
I run the Steeda chromoly Panhard brace.

Rear lower control arms.
Not necessary for street or touring application.
Biggest advantage of aftermarket is they replace rubber bushings with polyurethane.
This can stabilize axle in conditions of wheel spin to reduce axle hop.
Also improves traction on acceleration.
But if lowering car and want to maximize traction, as important as control arms would be relocation brackets for the control arms.
This is to keep angle of control arms similar to factory angle, which is the rear end of the control arm lower than the front.
Lowering car flattens control arms (more horizontal), leading to less weight on axle and less traction.
I run BMR non adjustable lower control arms with BMR relocation brackets.
Testing on drag car with multiple relocation brackets by Dasilva Racing revealed that BMR makes best (stoutest) relocation brackets.

Upper control arm.
Not necessary unless making high power with forced induction application, and want to stabilize axle as much as possible during hard acceleration.
Frequent result of changing out upper control arm is increased noise and vibration.
I’m still running my factory upper control arm.

Bump steer kit.
I don’t have any experience with these.
Don’t have it on either of my 2 lowered cars.
Don’t miss it and don’t think it’s necessary.

Moderator!

Can you please delete my post #13 above?
The short one time stamped 11:12.
Not the long one.
I timed out when I tried to edit.
Everything is repeated in #14 bellow it.

Thanks.

Try this again. 🤦‍♂️

I’ll share info on the items in the Steeda list above in bullet form to keep it somewhat condensed-ish. Ha! Ha!

About myself, I have done suspension on 2 cars like yours. An 05 automatic (sold) and a 06 manual which I still own and love to throw around corners. I’ve tried basic autocross once, but have attended multiple High Performance Driving events at different tracks in Canada and US.

First, re-reading your initial question, you’re ok with present ride quality. You want to lower for looks but wonder how much worse lowering will be, if at all?
It will be different but not necessarily much worse.
It will be a bit sharper over bumps and expansion joints but the fact that there will be less suspension travel kind of makes the car feel a bit lighter. Or like there’s less mass hitting the bottom at full compression.
Although the impact is sharper, it’s over more quickly.
But the improvements in steering response and handling more than make up for any added harshness. You’ll simply be amazed at the improved difference. You have to experience it to understand how much difference it makes.
SVT4MT, Mike, echos this sentiment in his post above.

The 555 8206 item is the Steeda Ultralite springs. They drop the car 1.25 front and 1.5 rear, like the Eibach pro kit and Ford K springs. I have no experience with them but Steeda’s description says they are their least aggressive springs and suggests they have a less harsh ride than others within the lowering spring universe.

Sway bars, You know what they do and they don’t affect stance or ride plushness. They keep car flat in corners. If you consider them, front and rear should be done at same time to maintain balance.
Specifically on Steeda, I don’t like their design because they don’t have grease fittings. If they start to squeak you can’t easily lube them.
On other hand, both Eibach and Ford Performance sway bars have grease fittings.
Again here as with the springs, the Ford bars are made by Eibach under contract.
I run the Eibach bars.

Steeda strut mounts, I actually don’t know much about the Steeda mounts.
The industry standard for upgrades is the Ford GT500 strut mount.
But if you value fine tuning your alignments, especially camber settings, and eliminating strut deflection on turn in, for sharp and responsive steering, then you should consider caster-camber plates.
They replace the strut mounts all together and have steel ball bearing instead of rubber bushing.
The camber and caster aren't adjustable on these cars from the factory. Only toe.
Several manufacturers make CC plates, including Steeda, but industry leader among track going Mustangs is arguably Maximum Motorsports.
I run Maximum Motorsports CC on my 3 Mustangs.

Steeda dampers. They have a good reputation. As good as the ones mentioned above previously; Bilstein, Eibach, Ford Performance or Tokico.
I run Bilstein”s on my ‘06 and Ford Performance on my ‘15.

Adjustable Panhard bar.
This is actually a very good point brought up.
The rear end on these cars is a 3 link setup with a Panhard bar.
The geometry of the setup causes the rear axle to move slightly to the left as the car goes down or as the suspension gets compressed.
If you keep stock wheels and tires, there will still be plenty of room and no rubbing issues. But if you plan on wider wheels and tires in future, or if you notice small details like that, lowering car 1 to 1.5 inch in back will move axle and you will see it.
No 2 cars respond identically but axle could move over as much as 1/4 to 1/2 inch, give or take.
I think Steeda bar is Chromoly so would be a good choice.
I run BMR adjustable Panhard because years ago the Steeda bar adjusted from both ends, which made the adjusting difficult on RHS due to chassis material making it hard to get wrenches in there.
BMR bar adjusts in middle so much more user friendly.
But glance at Steeda site tonight suggests Steeda has changed its design so they also adjust in the middle now.

Panhard brace. Not necessary unless building car for track and want maximum lateral support in corners.
Car already has a Panhard brace from factory.
After market brace replaces factory brace with something more sturdy.
I run the Steeda chromoly Panhard brace.

Rear lower control arms.
Not necessary for street or touring application.
Biggest advantage of aftermarket is they replace rubber bushings with polyurethane.
This can stabilize axle in conditions of wheel spin to reduce axle hop.
Also improves traction on acceleration.
But if lowering car and want to maximize traction, as important as control arms would be relocation brackets for the control arms.
This is to keep angle of control arms similar to factory angle, which is the rear end of the control arm lower than the front.
Lowering car flattens control arms (more horizontal), leading to less weight on axle and less traction.
I run BMR non adjustable lower control arms with BMR relocation brackets.
Testing on drag car with multiple relocation brackets by Dasilva Racing revealed that BMR makes best (stoutest) relocation brackets.

Upper control arm.
Not necessary unless making high power with forced induction application, and want to stabilize axle as much as possible during hard acceleration.
Frequent result of changing out upper control arm is increased noise and vibration.
I’m still running my factory upper control arm.

Bump steer kit.
I don’t have any experience with these.
Don’t have it on either of my 2 lowered cars.
Don’t miss it and don’t think it’s necessary.

See you been busy Marc! I was definetly not trying to '' spend anybody's money''!! The list of parts was just choices he could choose from if he wanted to do more then lowering springs. I never said they were all necessary to have a smooth ride. Since i don't know you guys well enough to know what is done on your cars and what your goals are i just thought it would be nice to share the info.Sometimes we do mods for looks and sometimes for performance but in the end it s a personal choice and that is what makes all of our car unique and different.

A couple more points after some sleep.

Initial question is related to lowering springs for S197 cars.

I kept my first post focused on Eibach and Ford Performance springs because that is my experience with the S197 cars.

However, since another poster brought Steeda into the conversation, I feel it’s only fair and balanced information to mention BMR as well.

For mainstream consumers, Steeda and BMR are arguably the 2 biggest players in all aftermarket suspension parts for modern Mustangs. Front or rear, upper or lower, adjustable or non adjustable, polyurethane or heim joints, chassis bracing and so on. Both do what they do very well.
On some products, their engineering path to a solution and choice of materials vary.
That’s why buyers should research and evaluate their needs against the solution produced by either manufacturer.

Note: for road course and high performance, particularly on Fox body cars, as well as some S197 and S550 parts, Maximum Motorsports is another important manufacturer.

IMHO, the single biggest difference that sets Steeda and BMR apart is that, unlike Steeda, BMR does not make its own dampers.

On springs, I run the BMR minimum drop springs on my ‘15 car.
Paired with the Ford Performance “track” dampers, I love the result.

On sway bars, I had a Steeda rear sway bar on my ‘05.
It squeaked and, as mentioned prior, because there was no grease fittings, addressing the issue required pulling the bar off, opening the bushings and adding grease by hand.

So when I did my ‘06, grease fittings were a top feature for me when it came time to select sway bars.
Eibach, Ford and BMR all have grease fittings.
Either of these 3 would have been a good choice but I settled on Eibach.

The Eibach work very well on the ‘06 so I also have them on the ‘15.

On rear lower control arms, I went with BMR over Steeda on my ‘06 for the same reason I selected Eibach sway bars.
BMR have grease fittings on their control arms and Steeda does not.

Full disclosure on BMR versus Steeda.
Between my ‘06 and ‘15 cars, I have more BMR parts than Steeda.
I only have two Steeda parts and they are both on the ‘06.
The Panhard brace as mentioned previous, and a chassis X brace in the trunk.

My experience with BMR isn't quite as extensive as Marc's, and normally I lean towards Ford Performance gear over any aftermarket.

For what it's worth though, any BMR pieces I've purchased have impressed me with their materials, engineered fit and build quality.

Good stuff, and it looks amazing.

See you been busy Marc! I was definetly not trying to '' spend anybody's money''!! The list of parts was just choices he could choose from if he wanted to do more then lowering springs. I never said they were all necessary to have a smooth ride. Since i don't know you guys well enough to know what is done on your cars and what your goals are i just thought it would be nice to share the info.Sometimes we do mods for looks and sometimes for performance but in the end it s a personal choice and that is what makes all of our car unique and different.

Don’t worry and don’t take it personally Dan.
It was not a critique toward you.
I apologize for you taking it like that.

The reference to spending other people’s money is a running joke to regular readers of the forum.
It was meant like that and to lighten the mood, but I guess it missed the mark.

The part about diving deeper and explaining more what each part does and suggesting wether its recommended or not is to help the OP make an informed decision.

It is based on the OP stating he is a first time Ford and Mustang owner and seeking feedback from people with more or previous experience.

In the minds of some people, a list like yours, left without further explanation could be interpreted as: I asked a question on Maritime Mustang and the answer I got is this list, therefor if I want to get lowering springs, I need all of this.

By giving more information on each part, readers can make better informed decisions.

For example, on face value, changing lower and upper control arms can seem like a logical thing to do.
But how is a reader to know that changing the upper control arm is a common source of additional noise unless someone mentions it?
After it’s mentioned, the reader is better informed.
Changing the lower control arms does not add noise but helps with wheel hop and traction. Again, more information to help the reader make a decision.

I know your experience, Dan, and am confident a lot of readers don’t have the same experience. So they don’t know each part like you do.
For those readers, I’m sure the extra information about each part is beneficial.

My experience with BMR isn't quite as extensive as Marc's, and normally I lean towards Ford Performance gear over any aftermarket.

For what it's worth though, any BMR pieces I've purchased have impressed me with their materials, engineered fit and build quality.

Good stuff, and it looks amazing.

The stuff that Ford Performance does put out is very good stuff and tested and approved by Ford engineers.
All things being equal on a given part, I like Ford Performance as well.

Where Steeda and BMR stand out is that they both make more varied and specialized parts to address more specific needs.

A few quick examples being control arms.
Depending on application, FP either does not make them or does not have the variety of choice.
IE: adjustable vs non adjustable, polyurethane vs heim joints.

Or the Panhard brace mentioned previously.
FP does not make one. Both BMR and Steeda make them.

Or chassis bracing, FP makes none or very few parts for this.
The other 2 make several parts for varied applications.

Back