My Maintenance Wash Routine

That’s the big reason no dish soap of any kind should be used on cars with traditional wax.
The properties of dish soap that make it clean cooking grease are the same properties that make it strip wax.

But, whereas ceramic is not a wax, things could be entirely different.
Dawn is soft on hands, so maybe not too hard on plastics.

I don’t know for a fact. Just spitballing.

A) Dawn should not be near a car. Strips old waxes (not new wax, not sealants, not ceramic), but should still be avoided.
- The shop that instructed you to wash with Dawn dish soap should either be avoided or educated on the matter. Hitting your car solely with Dawn isn't the way in the long run. It can dry plastics and rubbers (not tomorrow, but on the long term). Quite frankly, you should only need a regular maintenance wash soap to do any of your washes, Coatings clean so well. (Disclaimer, you have the right to not take what I say as godspell, not meant to be anyways).
- Readily available maintenance wash soaps (NO WAXES or others): Adams Polishes Car Shampoo (canadian tire), Chemical Guys MR Pink (Canadian tire), P&S detail Pearl auto shampoo (online order), AND a lot of others.
- IF you have a ceramic coated vehicle, you don't wnat a ''wash and wax'' type of shampoo. it will hide the ceramic coating properties, not needed.

Please have a listen to this video (actually a recent one) from Pan the Organizer. It goes on that myth, very informative.

B) Car maintenance soaps are not all PH Neutral. Some are, but some are also PH ''balanced'', that ok and normal. Sometimes, harder/stronger soaps are needed (i.e.: first wash after a winter of bathing in salt, a good decon wash type of cleaning). Ton of information out there on them as well and their use (although they are made for cars, THEY as well should not be used at every wash). These more aggressive soaps are usually called decon soap, or something along these lines. With regular car cleaning routine, one would only need a heavier duty soap once/twice a year (ahhhh dear winter!!)

Well as all advice take it as you paid for it,
but around here Max is the cloest to having a PHD.
in car detailing, personally you guys spend more time cleaning than you do driving them,
I do use some level of an auto car wash soap, not sure I have ever read the tech part,
I try to buy good detailers, waxes etc.

I noticed no one would answer my question of costs ? :ROFLMAO:
likely enough to pay a pro for the 1-2 serious details of the year,
as I wash and do quick details through the season,

might even be enough money to buy a good used Mustang :unsure::p:D

Not sure about total cost per year for all the potions and lotions, but I’m averaging two to three Sonax online orders a year, and I’m lucky to get out of there for $200 an order. Then again, free shipping over $150, so I’m actually saving money. 😆

For example, the Sonax foam cannon soap runs $30 a litre, concentrated, so you only use a couple of fingers each time, but multiply that by how many times I hose off two vehicles, and it’s easy to buy 4 or 5 litres for an eight month season. Cheaper than the coin op power wash, and infinitely better job. Saving money again by doing it at home and I’m pretty satisfied with how it works.

Bought a five litre jug of the Sonax wheel cleaner Plus….. $150, but it works amazing and with the amount of brake dust the car throws , it’s worth every cent and will likely get about two seasons out of it. Use a half a bottle every time and you get where I’m going.

Bottom line, all that pays for itself, and there’s no price you can put on a clean truck or car.

Last edited:
Well as all advice take it as you paid for it,
but around here Max is the cloest to having a PHD.
in car detailing, personally you guys spend more time cleaning than you do driving them,
I do use some level of an auto car wash soap, not sure I have ever read the tech part,
I try to buy good detailers, waxes etc.

I noticed no one would answer my question of costs ? :ROFLMAO:
likely enough to pay a pro for the 1-2 serious details of the year,
as I wash and do quick details through the season,

might even be enough money to buy a good used Mustang :unsure::p:D
Honestly for a weekly wash on a coated car I would not think supplies would be more than a couple hundred a year and that’s buying good quality products. If you stuck to generic’s on sale at CT I bet you could do 100$ or less. A decent shop will charge 200-250 just to detail and wax a car without any paint correction

I am curious, you guys say these products cost alot and time.

how much, lets say per season and or wash or detailing?
how much time?

$$$$+ hours :unsure:

To respond your initial question, last year my detailing products haul hit almost $1,300… 🙄
Not always like that, as these three hauls i did were major fill up on chemical and a few equipment buying instances…. Usually it hovers around the $150-300 mark per year if nothing major is needed.

You certainly end up with a lot of stuff as you try different things.

I've got three different variations on the ceramic...... spray on, the Profiline I used last year and the Profiline EVO for this year.

Bottom left is my laundry detergent and fabric softener Marc.....just in case you're wondering. :ROFLMAO:

IMG_5233.jpeg

Got some stuff at Canadian tire this morning. I should be all set now lol The Auto Glym Fast Glass Cleaner was on Sale, Gonna give that a try.
I am curious if anyone Washes their Wash mitts in the wash after each car cleaning or do it after a few car cleanins etc ?
View attachment 74615
I have 2 or 3 body ones and a wheel one. They get tossed in the garage laundry bucket after every wash, even my drying towels get washed after being used.

Back