Ford Mustang Red Book 1964 1/2 - 2015

While searching around to find production information on my 83 5.0 GLX Mustang Convertible (Body Style Code P27F) I found the "Ford Mustang Red Book 1964 1/2 - 2015" book by Peter Sessler
Does anyone know how accurate the production information is in the book?
The book does have some information on my particular vehicle that quite frankly surprised me and spiked my interest in confirming the information.
According to the book, there were 6369 P27F Body Code vehicles produced of which 1001 were GT's. (8 prototypes & 993 shipped to dealers of which 16 were shipped to Canada)
I know my Mustang is not one of the 16 GT's shipped to Canada but it is either one of the 352 Medium Charcoal Metallic - Code 1B or 259 Silver Metallic - Code 1G (hard to tell B or G on the tag) vehicles produced which in turn could potentially make it a rare vehicle, at least here in this neck of the woods.

Last edited:
It is always fun to find out such facts and see where our particular car sits in the rankings or finding out it is rarer then we think. Hopefully someone can help you out. will; also check that book out.

Interesting stuff, I like the others have no idea and for the most part, read a bit and know of a few rare one's.
Like many others some cars make the auto news often enough to know basic values.
IE: 67 Shelby GT500E, 69 Boss 302 / 429, 65 GT 350 etc.
But all these cars are older than we remember and are going up in value.
Be interesting to see what you find. Personally the true value is smiles per miles in my mind :)

Thanks everyone for the comments
I know one shouldn't expect much when it comes to evaluating a classic vehicle based strictly on rarity as everything else to do with the car is very subjective and is always a bit of a gamble. However having said that, knowing the "Pony's Pedigree" (pardon the pun) sometimes helps when it comes to deciding to do a factory restoration cruiser or trick the car out with a lot of performance upgrades, Right now I'm leaning towards the Factory Cruiser

Further to my original post

I've since learned, from a tip on another forum and finding the original metal stamped body tags, that the car color is one of the 259 Silver Metallic Mustangs produced. I also found on line a pic of an identical vehicle showing a red pinstripe matching the interior down the sides that my car is missing. Something that is good to know when it comes time to paint the car next winter

Last edited:
83_4eyes_Convertible;n28351 said:
Thanks everyone for the comments
I know one shouldn't expect much when it comes to evaluating a classic vehicle based strictly on rarity as everything else to do with the car is very subjective and is always a bit of a gamble. However having said that, knowing the "Pony's Pedigree" (pardon the pun) sometimes helps when it comes to deciding to do a factory restoration cruiser or trick the car out with a lot of performance upgrades, Right now I'm leaning towards the Factory Cruiser

My Preference would be a factory appearing car with wheels and tires from a late 80s to 93 Mustang GT with 4 wheel Disc brakes , Suspension upgrades and some engine bolt on performance parts.

Then on the other hand, they are only original once.

All original is cool but also more expensive to keep and maintain. You have to use specific bolts, rubbers etc when doing repairs.
I like the restomod approach, looks original with modern goodies like steering brakes etc.

Tough decision if its all original hard to mess with it.

And restomod Corvettes and Mustangs are getting as much, if not more money when selling at places like Barrett Jackson.

There's nothing better than having a Cool Old Car that drives like a new one.

Ohtobbad;n28356 said:
All original is cool but also more expensive to keep and maintain. You have to use specific bolts, rubbers etc when doing repairs.
I like the restomod approach, looks original with modern goodies like steering brakes etc.

Tough decision if its all original hard to mess with it.

I didn't buy the car to have it ride a "Trailer" from show to show, I intend to drive the car as much as I can so doing a restomod cruiser is probably the way to go.
I'll probably go with, performance/reliability upgrades like a set of Shorty headers & swapping the Holley Carburetor for a bolt on FITEC or Holley EFI under the hood, some brake & suspension upgrades and an original color paint job & detailing inside & out.
It may take a couple of years to achieve my goal but it will be worth it in the end. After all it would nice be able to cruise around the Maritimes with the top down showing it off
:FordSmile

Doing the mods can be as much fun as cruising depending on your outlook.
In the past, I used to save my money lol, do mods over winter and drive all summer.
IMO the best use of these is to drive them and enjoy, sounds to me like that's your plan.
Can't wait to see the car live and hope you truly enjoy. When its time for mods,
please post the details, we all enjoy the process.

Ohtobbad;n28359 said:
Doing the mods can be as much fun as cruising depending on your outlook.
In the past, I used to save my money lol, do mods over winter and drive all summer.
IMO the best use of these is to drive them and enjoy, sounds to me like that's your plan.
Can't wait to see the car live and hope you truly enjoy. When its time for mods,
please post the details, we all enjoy the process.

Oh for sure on both counts.

As a retired Marine Engineer who's not afraid to to get his hands or other parts of the body dirty and knows his way around machinery and tools. I'm looking forward to using my engineering skills to come up with what might be "unique fixes", doing as much of the work as I can and as the limited amount of space in my garage and my bank account will allow during the winter months. I considered putting a lift the garage but my wife drew the line when I told her I would have to cut a hole in the living room floor that the Coffee Table wouldn't hide:rofl

I have already created a Work List with 50 of my "Must Do", "Should Do" & "Like to Do" items on it. So far I've whittled the list down to 28 items left to do and hopefully have half the list completed by spring. Of course that doesn't include finding more things to add to the list as I fix other things.

I believe I've already documented on this forum how I troubleshot and fixed the Cruise Control in the car and there will be more to follow especially anything I feel could be a potentially considered a safety issue that everyone should know about

Last edited:
Well I for one would enjoy hearing what you have done, how and why..
Be nice to get a couple photos as your going if possible. Car projects are always popular.

It's been a while since I've updated the thread with my progress on eliminating/adding to my "To Do" List
One of the things I had to do was to repair the "Warped" Door panels and figure out why the passenger door lock was not working. You would be amazed how effective steam from a kettle, a couple of wide planks and a few "C" clamps can flatten warped door panels.
While troubleshooting the problem with the passenger door lock I found a seized Power Door Lock Actuator. Removed the actuator problem solved.
I also discovered while working on the locks that the car was factory wired for Power Door Locks minus the Switches, the seized Passenger door actuator and a previously removed actuator in the Drivers Door. With this info and the wiring diagram gave me the brainstorm to investigate if I could make the Power Door Locks functional while adding a little convenience.
Surprise Surprise I found I could not only find what is required to make the Power Door Locks work I was able purchase a Keyless Entry Kit and 2 aftermarket actuators on Amazon ($37 Delivered), for less than the cost of a single replacement OEM Actuator. A Keyless Entry Kit like this is an inexpensive way to add modern convenience to a car with or without Power Door Locks. Will keep everyone up to date on my progress on making the system work

Back