Electric Vehicles

depending on time of day and shift lenghts in quebec,
i might take my chances with that :D :p

If it’s like a 10 km square patrol area, maybe.

I’ve been holding back but in Canada, in cold temps, they are simply not practical tools for operational front line police duties.

I moved one in the lot last week and at 80% battery the range was only like 160 km.
And having the heat on makes that go down exponentially faster.

Just the length of our lot it lost 2% of battery charge.

I go back to the first pic that started this discussion, I said it must be school liaison without paying much attention.
Then looked again after the subsequent pics. It’s a bylaw officer car.
It says Peace Officer, not Police.
And it doesn’t even say dial 911.

The paramedics in lower mainland BC? Sure.
It’s a tempered environment there, except last couple days, and paramedics don’t stay at a scene nearly as long as police do.
They stabilize, load on the bus and head to the hospital. Charge while at hospital. Done.

Police have to remain on scene to investigate.
Sit in car with heat on at -20, lights on and operate radio and computer, that battery charge is taking a nose dive.
So many scenarios can keep police at a given scene for extended time.

For departments to have those in fleet is great PR and visibility. They can brag to the world that they are doing their part to save the planet. Especially municipal agencies because then the city or town can also jump on the credit band wagon.

I guarantee they are being driven by school liaison, someone on way to give fraud talk to senior complex, drug talk to a community group, forensics (dust for prints, take measurements and pictures but don’t respond to 911 calls), and supervisors/administrators, including the chief.

There are many ways to put them on the street and make them look good, but they are simply not practical for Canadian front line policing duties.

Ever heard the expression: “putting lipstick on a pig”?
No pun intended,

1705223979563.png
1705223937393.png
Took my wife into work today for safety sakes. It’s -45 this morning.
Saw a fellow sitting in his EV at a charging station. The businesses were still closed for him to stay warm and dawdle while his car charged.
I briefly spoke with him as he went into the store. He said he’s been sitting in the car running the heaters and it was taking about twice as long to charge. The car’s range was about 280km in the cold he said.
The fellow said his trip to Saskatoon from Kelowna takes about 3 times longer for charging time (sitting time).
His charges today were about $100 and two hours of sitting with heaters on and the battery was only 2/3 charged.
He said he liked his EV, but only in summer. But he said only if it’s not too hot, AC drains batteries very fast.
So, if you live in Canada, and are considering buying an EV, make sure your pockets are deep and you’re NEVER on a schedule. I wished him luck. His name was Jack (John) from Kelowna.

TRUE STORY

So, this is interesting, I have a snow contract that is a Goverment service
today, I had to stop by and see someone, I get there and they have garage door open
and in a three bay garage two ford lightenings and Electric SUV
no one wants to drive them, take 2 hours longer to go to Cape Breton the normal 4
they have to stop and chage them 2-3 hours every work day, making their trips 1-2 days longer
means less home time, they were forced to buy all electric, this devision has over 100 cars / trucks
budget to buy was 30-40% higher than hy-breds or gas, they were told Gov wants to able to tell public
we are 100% electric, regardless of costs or lost production time. and were not given any choice.

What was funny, is the boss was warming up a 2011 edge, because he wanted to be home for supper
instead of taken an electric truck, he did say beautiful to drive, the have gen 1 and gen 2 of lighning
1st one 220km max distance, new one 385 km, this is in optimum conditions, goes down in winter
etc.

our tax payers dollars and top leaders hard at work :cry:

Back