Dash cams

Mineral Grey

anyone use a dash cam on a regular basis? pro and cons if it?
i'm looking to get one for this coming summer, so many times i've said to myself, " damn, i wish i had that on video!" not looking to spend a lot of $ but would like to be able to go back and retrieve footage at times

I don't have one, but considering them for work trucks.
One of guys who works for me has a $39.95 internet special.
It works quite good and supplied clear video.

I think you pay for what its capabilities are now.
So more it can do, more it costs.

I have 2 go pro knockoffs but don't use them as much as I'd like. Mine aren't WiFi enabled, so some functionality is missing, esp if you want to use some different mount angles. Didn't pay a lot, so got my investment back. Looking to upgrade now that I have most of the accessories .

I have run dash cams for a number of years now. Nothing exciting regarding equipment as I am more in it for the functionality (I.E. in case something happens like you mention) than anything else. I have them installed in both my company vehicle (temporary and plugged into dash) and the Mustang (wired in) and have had one in a past vehicle as well. The big thing is that they are very easy to install. As long as you have a switched power (you can wire into main power if you get a camera with motion detection that needs continuous power) and a ground you`re good. I only have mine placed just below the rear view mirror on both vehicles. On the Mustang since the interior fuse panel is on the passenger side I only needed to route the wire down the A Pillar and through the side of the dash. Tapped into a switched fuse for power and for ground just bolted to a body ground in the same area. As result the install is very clean with the only wiring showing being next to the mirror and only took about 20-30 mins. On one of my previous vehicles (and an install for a friend) even though a completely different make the install was pretty much the same and took about the same time. At this point my cameras are cheaper ones, but since it plugs into the wiring with a mini USB that means that to upgrade is as simple as unplugging the old one and plugging the new one in as all of the ones I see have the same ports. Even the less expensive camera`s have a number of features such as setting the sensitivity of the impact detection (the trigger which automatically protects files in the event of the unfortunate) as well as how long the recorded segments last. If on switched power they automatically come on and start recording as soon as you start the car. I think its a great idea as a bit of added protection and you are right you don't need to spend a lot. Anyway just my two cents - or 25 if you`ve read this far lol.

Back