Caliper Covers

totaljustice

I've been thinking about getting some of the caliper covers that I saw on American Muscle for a long time now. I had painted my calipers when I bought the car with G2 caliper paint and got 7 years out of the stuff before it started flaking off and I believe it's only doing that now because I applied the paint while the calipers were on the car and as a result I could only get areas that I could reach. So the paint started flaking off around those areas. I would recommend that stuff to anybody but it was time consuming and I don't want to go through it again.

I was looking at the covers because they look like they would be easy to keep clean and maintain. Has anyone ever installed these and if you did how did they hold up over time? They are hellish expensive and although I don't mind paying a lot for something, I don't want to pay all that money if the finish is going to be destroyed in a year or two. Any thoughts.

I do not have any yet but I have heard food things about them. Look really good. Definitely easier then paint in my opinion.

You're right there. When I painted them the first time it was a weekend project and I only painted the areas I could reach. That G2 stuff was amazing and it only started flaking off where it corroded around the areas I couldn't apply paint.

I Know two different people who bought them over the years. Both really liked them and they looked good.
Not sure how long they lasted, sold and bought new cars within couple years.

They hold up well. Good quality plastic material.
My Brother in law has a set. They were installed by his school teacher buddy in a short afternoon. Both front and back.
Biggest worry is to have enough clearance between wheel and caliper to avoid issues.
Maybe tell AM which wheels you have and ask if they will clear.
My Brother in law has SVT GT500 wheels that clear Brembo brakes so he had no clearance issues.

Well I took the plunge and was able to find a used set from chadstang over at the CMOC for 100 bucks!!!! Not bad considering that AM wants 289 US plus shipping for them. They are powder coated aluminum and are simple to install. They will be a lot easier to clean and maintain. While I had the wheels off I also painted the tires with Tirepenz tire paint to match the green stripes on the car. I couldn't be happier with the results.

Attachments

• photo3157.jpg
    photo3157.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 0
2001BlackGTvert;n29157 said:
That looks really sharp on the closeup. You have a complete car picture with that setup?

Not yet. I hope to have it outside in a couple of weeks. I'll get some good pics then. That Tirepenz stuff went on pretty easy. I put on two coats without worrying about staying inside the lines and after it dried, I carefully used an X-Acto knife to gently scrape off the excess. The whole process took about 12 hours over three days. They make it in 11 colours and sell it at Canadian Tire. I don't know how long it will last but if I get a year out of it I'll be happy. Their website shows some other examples and the motorcycle crowd gets real unique with it.

http://www.tirepenz.com

Back