Wheel Refinishing/Repair

thundr

Hey, anyone have good or bad experience with wheel refinishing.
I have some 17" wheels that are either needing refinishing or replacing.
There seems to be several companies here in HRM doing refinishing.

I don't know any in HRM, but in the Saint John area I do..
are you looking for truing the rims too. or just surface sandblasting and powder coating? I've had both done and happy with results. My old Mazda rims would have to be trued most every spring to get ready for the thrashing of our less than stellar roads here. And have had my FX4 rims blasted and powder coated

Been several years since I looked into this, likely cheaper to find good
set of used or after market. Last time I priced it, was $150 a wheel.

I missed a set of used GT500 replica 2010 wheels for $400. Buddy was holding them.
The biggest issue with my wheels is the bead, leaking around there. Last time I put tires on the guy was grinding them, he said they were bad. The outside machine surface has the typical corrosion under the clear coat. That needs attention too. I'll need to get this done before spring.
I need new tires so if I was going to change wheel size this would be the time to do it. The replica wheels I missed were 18" as was standard on the 2010 Shelby.

Well, I decided to refinish my old wheels. I'll post some pics of the progress. I decide to take one tire off the rim as see how bad the bead was. It was bad enough that it needed cleaning. So I blasted it, primed it with etching primer, Hyper silver paint and clear coated the bead.
I'l touch up the machined surface with wet sand paper and clear that.

After some elbow grease I got my wheels finished with new BFG tires. Blasted the bead and painted to keep the air in.

IMG_20180225_102503_zps5xf2kkmu.jpg

IMG_20180304_190333_zpsnrsdf9u3.jpg

IMG_20180310_123247_zps9mgresdg.jpg

Back