TPMS

thundr

I bet there are a few stories on TPMS. As long as your car is new, you don't have a problem. Seems the batteries only last 7 years or so. Different stories on whether they are time sensitive or milage sensitive.
I was under the impression they were made law and manadatory after the Ford Firestone issues. I now think only about 70% of cars have them.
Of course now they monitor pressure by wheel speed.
I could stand to be corrected. Would like to hear your experience and feed back.

Batteries died in all four aftermarket units I bought for the steel winter wheels on Jackie’s CRV after only 4 years. So now the TPMS light is on for the winter. My Mustang (2005) was built before the TPMS came in 2007 so no worries on that one.

None on my 01, and our 2017 Mazda has the Sensors in the wheel hubs so there is no added expense when buying a second set of wheels. Mazda only has 33,000 kilometers and there have been no issues with this.

Running both sets of winter tires/rims on pick up and SUV without sensors. A few years ago brought truck in for inspection at local dealer and figured I'd have them install winter rims on it at same time. Picked up the truck a few hours later with winter set still in the box, they refused to install them being they had no sensors......safety issue they said ?? Mustang is like Gerry's, no sensors as it is an '05.

So I assume You found another Good Mechanic that installed them for you ? The first Guy probably wanted to sell you a set of sensors.

Yes I did find one, me, in the driveway....... lol
I always do that stuff myself but was a bit pressed for time with snow coming and hunting season around the corner, so thought I would cut corners. This was the Ford dealer but most other small garages don't worry about that safety thing and just do it.

Funny that no one can use a tire gauge anymore !

A TPMS story - the other morning a young lady was changing a tire at the local Tim’s parking lot. Like a nice guy I offered to help. During the conversation she said she was changing it before it went flat ( Left Front) because the sensor said it was low. I tightened the wheel and walked around the car to put the removed tire in the trunk and there it was- it was the right rear that was almost flat, so I put the one I removed on there. People blindly believe - no one had reset the sensor locations after the tire rotation!

A friend figured out when he pulled into his garage,the light went out.

His summer wheels and tires were in there.

So I have heard others say they put all four in their spare tire,no light.

Hearsay but believable?
Yes True, some told me you can put in pressurized can or something in the trunk,
and it keeps light out. I am sure different things have been tried and some work.

I'm not sure about TPMS being law, but I know the price of the units has come down significantly in the last 10 years.

I'm guessing the TPMS battery can't be changed out, so much like brakes, tires and other consumables, I'll likely just replace them when the time comes. Always have to check when the winter/summer swap is done to ensure the new sensors get flashed into the computer, I decided on two sets of sensors to avoid having the lamp on all the time every winter, and for the number of years I've had them, the cost per year was probably less than you spend at Tims in a month.

Speaking of Tims, side note to the Tim's tire change story, my truck registers low pressure, you have to figure out which tire it is, the one time I had to top up the spare after checking the other four and finding everything good.

The car actually breaks it down into all four corners and displays the pressure for each tire, so they're easy to top up before the light ever comes on. And, no guess work with the spare, the car is not equipped with a spare !!
IMG_2977.jpeg

Last edited:
My car is 11 years old and I have no issues with the sensors. I have one tire that has a slow leak so it flashes up then.

Years ago it came on and I checked all the tires and it seems fine. Took it to the dealer and they said all the tires were low. My gauge was reading low. Chucked the old and bought new.

Ford OE sensors of any generation do not have batteries.
That must be a thing with other manufacturers.
Putting all four sensors in the spare will work but liability issue.
Not just any shop will do that.
If wheels with sensors are close to car parking area, car will read those sensors.

TPMS requirement is not law anywhere in Canada but it is in some American states.
Not necessarily a fine but troopers can force you to get them or pull car from road.
That is where issue all started with rollovers caused by under inflated tires. American law makers take it more seriously.

Systems keep evolving. Ford early systems (07 to 14) were not specific to any wheel position. They just told you one or several wheels were low. You had to figure out which with gauge.

Now they are wheel specific and tell you the psi in each wheel.
They do not determine pressure based on rolling speed.
This must be an other manufacturer thing also.
Ford sensors can read psi while static.
Once they are paired to the computer, they can also be moved to another corner and the computer will still now which wheel is going down after moving them.
They only need to be re-paired if light stays on.
Usually when installing new tires on the rims.

I now have two cars with the TPMS light flashing. I guess this means a sensor is faulty. I will chuck one of the summer tires in the back of the truck and see if the light goes out. The winters are just about toast so I will need to replace a sensor in the fall with new winters. With a process of ellimination, one at a time, I can see which one is bad.

The other cars is my daughters Corolla. I bought a set of alloys and they have a bad sensor. Those summers are toast so I will need to replace a sensor in the spring.

Now wonder cars are more xpensive these days. Shouldn't drivers be able to figure out the tires need air?

I now have two cars with the TPMS light flashing. I guess this means a sensor is faulty. I will chuck one of the summer tires in the back of the truck and see if the light goes out. The winters are just about toast so I will need to replace a sensor in the fall with new winters. With a process of ellimination, one at a time, I can see which one is bad.

The other cars is my daughters Corolla. I bought a set of alloys and they have a bad sensor. Those summers are toast so I will need to replace a sensor in the spring.

Now wonder cars are more xpensive these days. Shouldn't drivers be able to figure out the tires need air?
Drivers can't figure out signal lights are installed in there cars.
Why do you think most cars have auto lights now??
you are giving people far too much credit.

Ya Trevor, Drivers not signalling turns and lane changes is right up there at the top of my driving related Pet Peeves. Right up there with the A Hole in front of you at the intersection that is still there 10 seconds after light has turned green and for some reason they always seem to be looking down ?

I remember when I had the F150, Tail Gaters didn’t bother me as much cause if I had to stop suddenly, the Tail Gater would end up under my rear differential ?

Back