Mods and Suggestions - Spend my money :)

Canuck121

Administrator
Staff member
So I’ve been looking at different things you can do with a 2016. In typical Mustang fashion there isn’t much that you can’t do lol. So that brings me to the question what should I do? Also known as spend my money.....which we are all so good at:LOL:

What has been done so far ( that I know of) has been the JLT cold air intake and tune. Different front grill on it also....no pony emblem like a CS should have. That should be it. So exhaust and gears are probably easiest. Which ones do you like?

For those with a 2015 and up post some pics or some videos of what you did.

Now you all have homework to do lol. Bring on the suggestions!!!

I suggest you check out my build thread.
This is no 67.

Based on my own experience, I would not rush on the gears.
I would do suspension work first so you enjoy the car more.

The Coyote with stick has 3.55’s already and a gear change to 3.73’s won’t give you the enjoyment of a sorted suspension.

Like you, I bought without a test drive.
First thing I noticed on the drive home was pogo stick action in rear suspension.
I mean annoying, to me anyways.
Enough that had I tested before buying, I probably would not have bought.

The valving of dampers is not right for the rear springs and it has a pogo stick action on base suspension cars, which the CS is.

This is not present in the PP models.
IMO the best reason to get a PP over a base ride.

Everything I did is in my thread.
If you insist, I can repeat here but prefer not to.

Your idea for exhaust, I concur with.
I would go with Ford Performance by Borla or straight Borla in cat back.
Reason in to drop 30lbs. of weight and get around 10 free hp extra by deleting the resonator.

Borla touring is no good because it has a resonator.
However the S type and Attack don’t.
All 3 of the Ford Performance kits delete the resonator.
The all use an X pipe to replace the resonator.

Listen to clips to decide on volume and sound.

I went with an H pipe and the Ford Performance touring axle backs.
Personal preference.
I just like the deeper sound of an H pipe.

And if you read Scott Hoag, founder of MRT and former Ford engineer on 2001 Bullitt and 03-04 Mach 1, there is no noticeable power difference between X or H pipe.
It’s all about sound.

Get the cat back for reasons I mention above.
They sound good with the X pipe too.

Bill at CJ Pony parts has a lot of videos on their site.

He says the H pipe is a bit louder than the X pipe.
He also says he thinks H pipe a bit raspier than X pipe too.
To that, I can say that I don’t find my setup raspy or too raspy.
I think it’s perfect.

And I’ve had the pleasure to do side trips to Mexico already WOT with shifts at redline and don’t find raspy.
IMO sound is great all the way.

Last edited:
From my own , all be it limited , experience with my '16 ....... I'll spend less than $500 of your cash and share two super easy mods.

- BMR jacking rails : these can be installed without using a jack, and they use factory bolts, at least on mine they did, plus fit and finish are great.

- JLT oil separator : Ford Performance has a model that looks OEM, but the JLT model is easier to drain and is made of billet aluminum instead of molded plastic, and connections are all OEM style fasteners.

From my own , all be it limited , experience with my '16 ....... I'll spend less than $500 of your cash and share two super easy mods.

- BMR jacking rails : these can be installed without using a jack, and they use factory bolts, at least on mine they did, plus fit and finish are great.

- JLT oil separator : Ford Performance has a model that looks OEM, but the JLT model is easier to drain and is made of billet aluminum instead of molded plastic, and connections are all OEM style fasteners.

I did the separator on my S197 and I am really inclined to do the rails in a near future. Two really worthwhile upgrades IMHO.

As Marc said above, his tread should really be looked at. Suspension wise, his car is dialed. I myself am also a big fan of the H pipe when i comes to the mid pipe, but it really does pertain to one's sound preference. Also as he states, 3.73 on a stick coyote is probably not enough of a big jump. I am doing it since I have one less gear and relieving me from drone zone on the S197, not really the oummph of extra gearing.

I personally would fiddle suspension and tires/rims (good tires helps, regardless of the car) prior to going deeper in aesthetics, the car looks very good that way already.

Oh, BRAKES, .... maybe? :rolleyes: I mean, you'll have to brake in a hurry, eventually I am sure lol :ROFLMAO:. I remember Phil's PP, he did I believe rotors + pads. Stopped well compared to my old trusty. Don't know if it'll help a regular stang as much just pads/rotors or you'll have to go full on front brembo kit to be worthwhile (S550 pros will chime in on that :) ).

Trevor is spot on.

But I will suggest brakes are not a weak point on the S550 GT and not a priority to upgrade, unless you foresee a specific need such as track time and heat management.

They basically are the equivalent of the Brembo setup from the S197 GT500 and Boss 302 minus the Brembo sticker.
The biggest difference for heat management is that their cooling veins face outward where air has to pass through the wheel spokes to reach the veins.
Wheel turbulence reduces flow efficiency and this design precludes the use of cooling ducts from the inboard side.

I did the Brembo fronts and cooling ducts because I plan on hitting the track with the car.
But for straight stopping power the GT units have good bite and do a good job.
Plenty capable for normal street driving.
Even Mustang guy street driving.

I would work on suspension, wheels and tires before brakes.
On street, these will by far enhance your experience more than brakes.

PS: Catch can is a good investment on any performance car. Maintains optimum octane levels.

If you want to improve pedal feel on your brakes, simply add stainless steel braided lines. Noticeable difference.

Back