GMC Truck Air Intake

Air in, air out. Next mod :

Magnaflow

41mv2pARG1L._SS500_.jpg

You may want to keep Flowmaster exhaust systems in mind, when out shopping. I bought a complete system for my Chevy truck back in 1996 and it is still hanging in there to this day. They offer you a choice of systems from full out hi-performance to a mellow-er street type version, and a few in between. I got the semi-performance set up, and love it. Sounds and performs great. Big difference over the stock system.

I can't believe how this alluminized version, as they call it, has stood up to the test of time..well worth the $$.

http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/?page_id=91

Last edited:
No Title

We had the truck towing our new trailer this weekend and I happened to notice at one point that I had driven almost exactly 100km on the trip odometer since I had filled up.. I had reset the fuel used display on the onboard computer so I checked that and discovered that the truck thought it had burnt 33 l or 8.5 mpg. For reference the truck calculated fuel economy since I had las reset that display in the computer was 15.2 l/100 km or 18.6 MPG. Scarey

Attachments

• photo699.jpg
    photo699.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 0
So what do you mean the "truck thought" that's the fuel mileage? I'm confused.. so since changing to the new air filter, the reading is now 8.5 mpg vs before with the stock system, it was reading 18.6 mpg?

You saying that the new air filter has confused the ECM, as to the true mileage? Surely the rolling weight of the trailer couldn't have killed the mileage that badly..climb a lot of hills in low gear?

Perhaps it's because you can't tow and run the tranny in OD. (Least you weren't supposed to with the 700R my truck has),
I could see where that would kill your mileage..

Last edited:
I use the term the truck thinks for fuel milage as I don't know how it determines the about of fuel used when it calculates the fuel milage. The fuel used as displayed by the truck computer is usually less than the number of liters I actually put into the tank.

This is our first season with the big trailer, before we had a little popup which didn't really affect performance or fuel economy that much. Heck I could cruise at 120 km easily with it connected. The new trailer is much bigger and this was the first opportunity I had to guage it's effect on milage. The new K&N filter did seem to give it more acceleration with the new filter and the transmission actually made it to 6th gear in tow mode :)

No Title

The truck now has a Dynamax dual exhaust, which was installed by OK Tire in Elmsdale. The tech who installed it has a nice eye for detail and when he wasn't happy with the stock fit redid a couple of the exhaust hanger mounts to get the pipes level at the back.

Attachments

• photo826.jpg
    photo826.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 0
Back