Ford Dip-sticks!

GRIFF

When the service tech filled my oil after a oil and filter change using the recommended 6 quarts (5.7 L) in my 2002 GT (4.6 L) I had noticed that the oil level on the dipstick was almost an inch over the full mark! (Had the same thing happen last year but the garage assumed they had just over filled it and let some oil out.) My thoughts were that "too much of a good thing is bad"! My manual does call for a 6 quart fill after and oil and filter change. I started searching Mustang Forums and discovered several discussions about this issue. Turns out that up to 2001 models Ford recommended a 5 quart oil fill with filter change. However there was some oil starvation issued under extreme driving so in 2002 Ford changed the recommendation to 6 quarts. However, Ford had extra 2001 dipsticks laying around and proceeded to put them in some 2002 model year Mustangs....mine included (checked the part #1R3Z-6750-BA)! Hence my stick read in the proper zone for 5qts but overfull with 6qts of oil on board. Solution: buy a replacement 2002 dipstick (1R3Z-6750-BB)....but they are no longer available. Some users I found on line had found an alternative dipstick (#F85Z6750BA) that would give proper reading when full. Ordered one and it works fine for checking the oil. Anyhow, just sharing for information.

Back